2007 Ford F-350 6.0L Power Stroke Used Oil Analysis (UOA) History

<iframe src=""></iframe>

It would be better to see this spreadsheet history when I list the newest oil sample. Early results start on the left & latest samples to the right or just look at the dates towards the top. This truck blew the notorious EGR cooler but was fixed right before I bought it. You can see the Sodium decline over time & the Potassium is less clear since I use different UOA labs. Towards the right I have universal averages for this engine along w/Avg's of each sample.

Speaking of samples the latest one is dated 3/10/2024 & was Sinopec Tulux T700 15w-40. Made in Singapore but is the biggest Chinese owned oil company. It almost mimics the Shell Rotella T6 additive package exactly but was much cheaper. My bro though it would blow up my engine lol. I've now put in some Mobil Delvac Extreme 15w-40 & Purolator oil filter.

Here's the oil filter for this interval.

Last edited:
Interesting that the second sample had way more soot than the others, but the wear rate wasn't affected much one way or another. Other contamination looks in control, as you mention.

The much longer OCI of the third sample gives the lowest wear rate; this is typical of most all OCIs as they are extended. However, there seems to be little proportional correlation overall; a lot of variation.

Is there much towing? What're the drive cycles like in general?

Good data. Keep it up!

Interesting that the second sample had way more soot than the others, but the wear rate wasn't affected much one way or another. Other contamination looks in control, as you mention.

The much longer OCI of the third sample gives the lowest wear rate; this is typical of most all OCIs as they are extended. However, there seems to be little proportional correlation overall; a lot of variation.

Is there much towing? What're the drive cycles like in general?

Good data. Keep it up!

Thanks! The soot is something I'm working on to make sure I understand how they are measuring it across the different labs & it's not all straightforward.

Oil Analyzers - Diesel & Gasoline Engine OIl Guidelines (Soot)

Titan Labs
  • Fuel Soot: Reported as % of weight. Soot is what makes diesel engine oil black. Soot needs to be controlled. Excessive soot can shorten engine life and will be very abrasive.
  • Infrared (UFM) ASTM E2412
  • Just called & they explained to me the Soot results are not a percentage? (But their site says it does :unsure: ) & that "A reading of 300 would be critical & you're only at 6 so your oil is REALLY CLEAN". That's what they told me on the phone so I've removed the percentage on Titan Labs results for now.
  • Fuel in oil results of "Negative" means it's at least 1.99% or Less in the oil as their system allows 2%, 5%, 10% readouts.
  • http://www.titanlab.com/testing-options/oil-analysis-report.asp

Wheeler Cat
  • Infrared (UFM) ASTM E2412 LINK to ASTM.org
  • Just called & the lady said she'd get me the manual on methodology for Soot readout. She says her Soot would be flagged at the number 60.

From what I gather today from talking w/the labs again that the Soot seems to be very low & not even close to flagging. Cat mentioned my PC's on one sample were very low on that 9,500 mile run. They dilute the oil but use a methodology to include the dilution to be able to read sooty diesel oils. The other labs won't do PC's on diesel oil b/c It'll make they're machines "Go off the charts". Even though they seem to all use the same Infrared testing equipment they must have a different methodology readout for Soot from lab to lab. Definitely, makes a case for staying w/the same UOA lab if running extended mileage runs to maintain trends w/Soot readouts from just one lab.

There's 1 quart I added to the second one on 11-07-2022, thinking I was too low, but didn't seem to make much difference in results for 15 quarts of oil. Also, Most runs were the same if I remember correctly & that's hauling my truck camper down to TX from MO & back. If you look at the 3-10-2024 run you'll see a slight tick up on Chrome, Aluminum, Copper, Silicon, & a jump in Fe. I'm contributing this to driving a bit faster with the camper hauling 70-80 MPH vs 60-65 MPH on previous runs for about 2500 of those miles along w/the shorter mileage run. To recap 3-10-2024 faster speeds w/camper & short run to explain the rise in wear. Most of my mileage is Highway 90-95%.

Last edited:
Cat Lab got back to me on how they measure Soot by email:

PERKIN ELMER OIL EXPRESS 4XL FTIR
"THE ABSORBANCE PER CENIMETER (ABS/CM), REFERRING TO HOW MUCH INFER RED BEAM IS ABSORBED AT A SPECIFIC WAVE LENGTH THOUGH OFTEN THE VALUES ARE TREATED AS UNITLESS OR INDEXED VALUES. HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS. ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE DFEAL FREE TO REACH OUT."

image001.jpg

Just under 245k. It is still running extremely well! Original injectors still. I know that will probably change this year or next!

That build that Jack did certainly was meticulous wasn't it! Unfortunately, it seems he has rust issues w/ the truck itself. Texas has been very, very good to me!

Just under 245k. It is still running extremely well! Original injectors still. I know that will probably change this year or next!

That build that Jack did certainly was meticulous wasn't it! Unfortunately, it seems he has rust issues w/ the truck itself. Texas has been very, very good to me!
While down in Harlingen, TX for the winter I'd gotten the dreaded "Low Voltage Injectors" on all 8. Went straight to Oreilly's Auto & bought a Dorman FICM board. I kept telling everyone how good it drove but truth is I didn't realize how bad it really was until I replaced that board. When starting off from cold it didn't have any power & now it's full power from cold. I had 8 injectors replaced on my old 95' 7.3L & it had noticeably more power. They were stock replacements & I'd assume w/245k on your truck you'd notice a difference but as you well know getting into things can create their own headache. I'm disgusted by how clean your vehicles are down there. 😄

Back