2014 Toyota Corolla Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I'd like to see a Corolla/Civic that using a conventional engine can achieve 50mpg on the highway all day. You'd think that it could be done without having to buy some silly hybrid. At least the new Corolla is a small step in that direction with 42mpg.

My Cruze can already do that. It does take a steady foot on the gas, and going 65 mph or slower.

I would like to see what the Corolla with the eco package can do. I bet it's high 40's pretty easily.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I'd like to see a Corolla/Civic that using a conventional engine can achieve 50mpg on the highway all day. You'd think that it could be done without having to buy some silly hybrid. At least the new Corolla is a small step in that direction with 42mpg.

My Cruze can already do that. It does take a steady foot on the gas, and going 65 mph or slower.

I would like to see what the Corolla with the eco package can do. I bet it's high 40's pretty easily.

Back in the past I had an '82 Civic that could do close to 45 mpg's on the highway. You'd think today they could accomplish better easily. I know...the added weight of safety features and other required 'stuff' makes them a safer, better handling car. But still....?

An '82 Civic was the size of a Sonic/Yaris/Fiesta. They get close to that and you have a chance of walking away from an accident and don't feel like you are driving in a go cart.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
An '82 Civic was the size of a Sonic/Yaris/Fiesta. They get close to that and you have a chance of walking away from an accident and don't feel like you are driving in a go cart.

I suppose it's nice to know that in thirty years time....they've gotten 'close'.
I think you missed the meat of my point. Besides that though...my old Civic may not have been as safe (debatable...it wasn't like a Pinto) as a modern car, but I still don't get why no great mpg advances in all that time. And why do folks even buy something like a Smart car? It doesn't get great mpg's...and is much smaller and uglier than my Civic was in the day. Even my GIANT (by comparison) Focus get's as good (or better) mpg's.

Your 82 Civic probably weighed 1600 lbs while today a similar sized vehicle is pushing 3000 lbs.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Exterior Over-designed = trying too hard = Messy.

I have a feeling it won't age well

It look ok, definitely not the best in the segment for sure. I do like the fact that you can still keep it simple though with a non-DI motor and a basic trans if you wish. I just hope the 1.8/4spd combo can best the current 27/34mpg figures.

Don't care for the look. If I'm going to buy a Corolla, or a Camry, or... well, any Toyota -- I'm buying for conservative looks.

On the official Toyota page, the two main shots (1 exterior, 1 interior) both have distracting sun glare on the vehicle. I just find that to be odd.

corolla-3.jpg

corolla-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Exterior Over-designed = trying too hard = Messy.

I have a feeling it won't age well

I think a number of new sedans have I'm-trying-hard styling that won't age well. This is why I generally favor more conservatively-styled cars. You guys are right...a lot of cars these days look like they're over-done and will look dated after the next generation comes out.

By far the most overdue overhaul in the segment. I do not love this new car but pretty much anything will be better than what they had with the outgoing model.

I think like it. The good thing about Japanese cars is they look weird the first time, then they will grow on you over time.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Nick R

inb4 "it should have a manual only, AM/FM radio, no power steering, no cruise control etc etc etc"

I don't think anyone says most of those things. But one should be able to buy a more stripped, as well as more customized variants of these, or any cars, as they like.

If I want a corolla with led headlamps, I should be able to get that without having to buy the nav package, leather seats and 20" alloy wheels on an econo appliance.

And the premise of people putting all those options into an economy car, then financing or leasing it because they cannot afford what they are buying is always laughable, regardless of segment.

When I got my focus, I really tried to get the manual windows, steel wheels, manual locks model ... but when you shop "last year's model" to save money ... there aren't too many options - especially when you're looking for manual transmission.

I really hope the KISS market for cars lights up! I'm going to be on the market in a few years to replace the focus (when it inevitably rusts to death like all Ford vehicles) and hopefully there will still be a nissan versa like car!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I guess I'm in the minority here, but IMO it looks hideous.

X2. I think it's UGLY as can be. Definitely a deformed child from a mix of Civic, Forte, and a Focus.
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: GMFan
The front looks like a Dodge Dart/Hyundai/Kia, the rear looks like a Honda and the side looks like the previous gen Ford focus. It looks like an identity crisis on wheels.

In other words, typical Toyota styling.

The Corolla lost its identity. UGLY. Ford Focus from the front, Dodge Dart from the side, Honda Civic from the back. A CAD designer mashup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back