2014 Lincoln Navigator oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Splash%20Page%20WIX%20XP%20insertFinal.png

Hopefully ZeeOSix doesn't see this.
27.gif

With the talk of 5w30 instead of 5w20, I've realized I have an unopened jug of PYB in the garage. Paired with a Wix nonXP for 6k miles?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Their 0w20 and (I believe) 5w20 are full syns. That's it. The rest are blends.

Magnatec 5W-30 is a full synthetic now. I believe only the 10W-30 is still a synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: mooferz
Their 0w20 and (I believe) 5w20 are full syns. That's it. The rest are blends.

Magnatec 5W-30 is a full synthetic now. I believe only the 10W-30 is still a synthetic blend.

Very nice! If only I didn't have a stash.. Lol

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Splash%20Page%20WIX%20XP%20insertFinal.png

Hopefully ZeeOSix doesn't see this.
27.gif

Yeah, if he does he's going to get on his soap box and tell us all about the flow efficiency of the XP WIX, how he thinks it's the OCOD of WIX filters, how it will shoot your engines lifters through the hood, and how your neighbor will hound you for using it.
crackmeup2.gif

My only issue with the WIX XP is their price! Very expensive and yes you can get an ultra cheaper. One could save even more by buying the TG, which would work great in OP's case.

Efficiency doesn't bother me. I run Toyota filters regularly at 10k intervals.
smile.gif

Last edited:
My only issue with the WIX XP is their price! Very expensive and yes you can get an ultra cheaper. One could save even more by buying the TG, which would work great in OP's case.

smile.gif

A lot of people like the TG filter. I do not. Why? Paper end caps. Why not just spend a couple of more $$$'s and use the FU?
Okay, flame suit is now on!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

smile.gif

A lot of people like the TG filter. I do not. Why? Paper end caps. Why not just spend a couple of more $$$'s and use the FU?
cool.gif

Sure.. do that, but this isn't a discussion over the TG vs. the XG. I was just offering suggestions to the OP.

The ultra is still a better purchase than the XP. This is my point.

smile.gif

cool.gif

Sure.. do that, but this isn't a discussion over the TG vs. the XG. I was just offering suggestions to the OP.

Yes, I agree totally. And, point well taken!
I don't know much about the XP. It does look a bit like the NAPA Platinum. And, I have read mixed reveiws about the Platinum as well. Opinion?
21.gif

smile.gif

cool.gif

Yes, I agree totally. And, point well taken!
I don't know much about the XP. It does look a bit like the NAPA Platinum. And, I have read mixed reveiws about the Platinum as well. Opinion?
21.gif

The WIX XP and NAPA Plat. are the same filter.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I have often wondered how to tell if a cam phaser is working properly or not.

With Forscan you can select VCT degrees (in my case I selected Bank 1 and 2) as well as VCT status.

VCT status will basically tell you if it's okay or not okay, but VCT degrees will tell you the actual cam advance or retard.

In my case, I looked up a stock VCT curve for the 4.6 3V, revved my engine to various RPM and the cam timing was the same as the stock VCT curve.

Presumably if there was an issue with the VCT, the cam timing wouldn't be the same as stock and VCT status would not be ok.

I did this purely out of curiosity and because my 4.6 3V is a bit noisy at throttle tip in, but apparently ALL 3V Ford's are noisy like this.

If you don't have Forscan, download it for free and grab yourself an ELM327 cable off Amazon for like $20. best money you'll ever spend if you own a Ford.

I did go with the Pennzoil YB 5w30 I had on hand. Since I knew I'd only go no more than 6 months on this OCI I decided to try the Motorcraft filter.

This is sort of a 'punt' on the long term plan. In future, do I go with the manual and do 6 month OCI? In that case I'll stick with Dino I believe. Or do I go for synthetic with a one year change? It's out of warranty so I'm free to did whatever I wish. I also need to decide on 5w20 or 5w30 whichever way I go.

My wife loves this car and we'll probably keep it a while as she doesn't like the newer incarnation coming out.

Also, I noticed a thread or two about going two OCI or more on the same filter. Controversial I know, but with 6 month OCI I might even consider that as I have an extraction pump for oil changes.

Btw, so far no noises, ticking etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Wife's 2014 Lincoln Navigator with 5.4l V8. Suburban driving at ~8k a year with many trips under 5 miles but at least one longer trip a week. Texas South Plains. Warranty is up so I can move away from the Ford required 6 month OCI and on to yearly changes.

Thinking Motorcraft filter? Oil?

I have used Motorcraft Filters in all my V8 Fords since 1985 until I bought my 16 Tahoe..Put between 200-300K miles on all my 5 Fords..Zero issues with Motorcraft oil Filters..For oil I would just use Mobil 1 and just use the grade it calls for on the oil cap which I believe is 5w30 for your 14 Navigator.

Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE
Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Wife's 2014 Lincoln Navigator with 5.4l V8. Suburban driving at ~8k a year with many trips under 5 miles but at least one longer trip a week. Texas South Plains. Warranty is up so I can move away from the Ford required 6 month OCI and on to yearly changes.

Thinking Motorcraft filter? Oil?

I have used Motorcraft Filters in all my V8 Fords since 1985 until I bought my 16 Tahoe..Put between 200-300K miles on all my 5 Fords..Zero issues with Motorcraft oil Filters..For oil I would just use Mobil 1 and just use the grade it calls for on the oil cap which I believe is 5w30 for your 14 Navigator.

It's actually 5w20.

Also, we've inherited a 2014 Ford Taurus SEL V6 that also requires 5w20

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back