2014-2017 Corolla CVT Service Advisory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: meep
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

I'm pretty sure you have a wrong understanding on how the CVT works in vehicles. The belt is not pulled, but it is pushed because it is all steel.

How does one push a belt?

I hear you. One side is always going to push and the other side pulls.

Thanks for posting this wing0. I have a 2015 Corolla and did not know about this. Would I have gotten an email about this? Perhaps I should look into this owner account you have so I can get these alerts although after looking at your screenshot it appears perhaps only certain VINS were affected.

I like the car and have had no issues with the CVT. I think it works well and I have topped 45 mpg on long trips. Gotta love that!

I just find it weird that they took this long to fix a potential wear issue. Close to 5 years for some customers.
Some of the 2014-15s probably close to end of powertrain warranty already...

It would be nice if they include a free fluid change too
grin.gif

Y'all are welcome. Just Google Toyota Owners and make an account. Super easy and you can track all kinds of stuff. The app is awful. The website is good. The app never updates information correctly and you end up emailing support telling them to actually link the databases.

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
Y'all are welcome. Just Google Toyota Owners and make an account. Super easy and you can track all kinds of stuff. The app is awful. The website is good. The app never updates information correctly and you end up emailing support telling them to actually link the databases.

thumbsup2.gif

I don't need you to tell me what I know or don't know.

Good, bad or indifferent the CVTs within my generation of CVTs the very strong majority of problems in my generation of CVT were one paired with the 2.5 motor. That's not coincidence. I have done EXTENSIVE research into CVT issues within my generation of CVTs.
So I can say what I am saying with a very, very high level of confidence that what I stated above is true.

I would not recommend a CVT paired with say a 500 horsepower motor with 460 foot pounds of torque. Unless somehow it could actually handle that kind of power now. Which one would doubt it does exist currently.

Last edited:
And where did I say it is a "pull" driven system?? Ohh yeah...how about no where. I did not say that.

I've seen another video about CVT operation as well. Very similar in fact.

Last edited:
Yeah Dishdude I do drive fairly sensible 95% of the time... The other 5% is a lot of fun though
smile.gif

Char Baby I have no changed that CVT fluid yet... Still rolling along really great. And I am going to start doing a drain and refill coming up in a bit.

Originally Posted By: wing0
I just find it weird that they took this long to fix a potential wear issue. Close to 5 years for some customers.
Some of the 2014-15s probably close to end of powertrain warranty already...

It would be nice if they include a free fluid change too
grin.gif

That is what concerned me the most as my son's has about 59k on it now. It must be fairly recent as the dealer service manager was very surprised when I told him about it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I check my owners website every couple weeks. I'd say it was within the last week or so.

And my 2017 maintenance manual does mention changing the CVT fluid at about 50k I believe. Under severe conditions. It's kind of vague but seemed enough for me to investigate the idea around then.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
And where did I say it is a "pull" driven system?? Ohh yeah...how about no where. I did not say that.

I've seen another video about CVT operation as well. Very similar in fact.

This is part of your post that mentions tension:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I believe the 3.5 VQ motor is a better motor for that CVT because it puts more tension but not too much tension on the belt

Tension means pulling.

I'm not a transmission expert or anything, but my mechanical background allows me to understand the difference between tension vs compression, pulley systems vs gears, force distribution etc. My knowledge is not from watching YouTube videos. The only reason I posted the video was for people to see how a belt can be pushed, aka have a compression force applied to it. Which from the responses, doesn't seem like many understand the concept anyways.

If I posted anything that is inaccurate, please feel free to correct it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

I'm pretty sure you have a wrong understanding on how the CVT works in vehicles. The belt is not pulled, but it is pushed because it is all steel.

How does one push a belt?

The belt is "pushed" in its cross section by the pitch of the pulleys - CVT pulleys aren't fixed, the "sheave" can be manipulated to be wide or narrow.

Tension can mean aka pressure.... Whther it is one or another.... That's where it was meant to be... Not difficult for that to be the case. Its hard as crud to type out stuff that's in our heads... Real hard in fact. Can't always articulate what mean or how we mean it etc.. Or maybe in my case just using the wrong doggone word
lol.gif

Your video was very good. In fact very similar to the one Nissan has up. You did a great job getting that video on the subject.

Hope you had a good today KrisZ.

Last edited:
FYI---I was supposed to have the CVT reprogrammed this week and the dealer just called me and said Toyota told dealers to wait on the reprogram while they continue investigating the issue, or something of this nature. Odd, very odd. It's still showing up in my Toyota Account online as an open service advisory.

I emailed Toyota because it's odd to me that the dealer says this but it's still showing.

The subject vehicles' transmission has improper programming that could lead a component to unnecessarily cycle and experience abnormal wear. If this component becomes damaged, the malfunction indicator lamp may illuminate in the instrument cluster and the vehicle could experience a reduction of speed. After reaching a pre-determined gear ratio, the vehicle can be operated up to approximately 37 mph.

Remedy

Any authorized Toyota dealer will perform an update to the CVT control software at NO CHARGE. Additionally, in the unlikely event that the vehicle is exhibiting the condition, any authorized Toyota dealer will repair or replace the CVT assembly at NO CHARGE.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
My in-laws 2015 Corolla CVT quit at 65k. She lost her behind, traded it in as-is, and bought a 2017 Corolla.

That makes ZERO sense to me but it's not my money. I just bit my tongue.

Against my better judgment, I purchased an extended warranty. Comes out to a few extra bucks per month over 8 years. So I'm hoping either 1.) I have no issues or 2.) Have issues before 100K! My mind kept saying, "CVT CVT CVT" when he was going over warranty options. I've always driven a manual. If I have issues, might go back to a manual. But I keep cars for 10-15 years so by then everything will be a hovercraft...transmission not required...

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They could just change the fluid and stop pretending it's lifetime fill
smile.gif

Amen brother...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back