2013 Rav4 (2AR-FE) - synthetic required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter recently purchased a new 2013 Rav4. Per the manual Toyota requires 0w20 full synthetic. I have been using Mobile 5000 0w20 dyno in my 05 Tacoma 4.0L and 07 Highlander 2.4L for several years now @ 5k OCI. Will I have any issues using Mobile 5000 in the Rav4 with the same 5k OCI?

Mobil 5000 has been discontinued and replaced by Mobil Super, which does not have a 0W-20, only a 5W-20 (and are you sure Mobil 5000 dino had a 0W-20?). Usually it requires synthetic base stock to make a 0W-20. Mobil Super Synthetic (lower cost than Mobil 1) does offer a 0W-20.

The 0W-20 of any brand (and Mobil is excellent) is good for the full oil drain interval shown in your owner's manual. That might be more than 5k--check the book.

All 0w20 is synthetic. Only 5w20 comes in syn and conventional. On my wife's subaru forester which specs 0w20 syn also, I've always used 5w30 syn with no problems and loss in milage.

I am always in awe when people post that they have a new car and then want to know what cheap oil they can get away with using.

Pay the extra for TGMO and run it the recommended 10k OCI. Sleep well at night.

Originally Posted By: Back40
My daughter recently purchased a new 2013 Rav4. Per the manual Toyota requires 0w20 full synthetic. I have been using Mobile 5000 0w20 dyno in my 05 Tacoma 4.0L and 07 Highlander 2.4L for several years now @ 5k OCI. Will I have any issues using Mobile 5000 in the Rav4 with the same 5k OCI?

I'm not trying to be rude but is this a trick question?
grin.gif

Castrol GTX has a Blend that is 0w20. Why is it so important that you are willing to jeopardize the warranty by not using the required viscosity?

Last edited:
It would be cheaper and less work to just do what your warranty asks for. You could even use the 'right' oil for 7500 miles and come out ahead on time and breakeven on cost.

Originally Posted By: Roob

I'm not trying to be rude but is this a trick question?
grin.gif

At the least they haven't been using Super 5000 0-20, cause there ain't none. Here is a link.

http://www.mobil.us/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-super.aspx

Last edited:
I apologize for my confusion. The Mobile 5000 I have been using in the Highlander is 5w20 and 5w30 in the Tacoma. So 5w20 can not be used in place of 0w20? We live in SC so the temps seldom go below 30s.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
It would be cheaper and less work to just do what your warranty asks for. You could even use the 'right' oil for 7500 miles and come out ahead on time and breakeven on cost.

Toyota also states that the WS fluid in the sealed auto tranny in the Rav4 and my Tacoma can go 100k. Would you suggest I follow this recommendation as well?

Toyota also states that the WS fluid in the sealed auto tranny in the Rav4 and my Tacoma can go 100k. Would you suggest I follow this recommendation as well?

NNOOOOOoooooooooo.....you CAN "drain-fill" the tranny fluid...those who do suggest doing so every 3-4 years and 30-40k miles....with synthetic....as you should do with ALL THE FLUIDS, brakes, power steering, and coolant, (use Asian auto spec'd coolant)...

As for oil....the cheapest way to go is to buy synthetic oil on sale, 5w-30 is the one I see most often on sale, and bring the jug to the dealer, most of which will change it for $20 + the $5.50 Toyo filter....and run it for 7.5k miles....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

NNOOOOOoooooooooo.....you CAN "drain-fill" the tranny fluid...those who do suggest doing so every 3-4 years and 30-40k miles....with synthetic....as you should do with ALL THE FLUIDS, brakes, power steering, and coolant, (use Asian auto spec'd coolant)...

I actually purged the fluid from Tacoma tranny and replaced with 11 qts Yota WS at 60k.

As for oil....the cheapest way to go is to buy synthetic oil on sale, 5w-30 is the one I see most often on sale, and bring the jug to the dealer, most of which will change it for $20 + the $5.50 Toyo filter....and run it for 7.5k miles....

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Based on your recommendations I will go with a full synthetic for the Rav4 ...now to decide between the pricy TGMO($7.50 at dealer), M1 AFE and PP. The first 2 OCIs will be at 5k. The 3rd will be at 7500 with a UOA to see if whatever I am using can handle a 10k OCI. My daughters driving conditions are 30/70 city/hwy. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back