2013 Outback

I’m sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I understand. So I shouldn’t change any sensors at all, just add the extension? And that’s to the rear?
I would not replace the sensors. Don't fix what isn't broken. Pull the old sensor, install the extender, reinstall the sensor, clear the codes, hope they don't come back.

I however would get a reader that will read Long Term Fuel Trims. Most of the app type readers will - such as torque pro (android) or 4-stroke (Iphone) or just get a more advanced stand alone reader. The reason I would is I would want to see if there is an issue that possibly ruined your cat to start or I was seeing too rich a mixture, then you might have other things to fix - now or in the future. Its a cheap check that can tell you a lot. Ideally LTFT +/- 5%. Under +/- 10% is usually acceptable. However you can do this later as well - one thing at a time.

I also have this exact same code for my 2014 Infiniti QX80. Would an extender work that also?

Yes it will, that one may have 2 rear o2 sensors the code will be P420 for bank 1 and P430 for bank 2, on the QX bank one is the left (drivers) side. The Subaru uses only one main cat for both banks so it comes up bank 1.

Yes it will, that one may have 2 rear o2 sensors the code will be P420 for bank 1 and P430 for bank 2, on the QX bank one is the left (drivers) side. The Subaru uses only one main cat for both banks so it comes up bank 1.
You sent me a link to purchase an extender. Will that one also work for my QX? Or do I need a different one?

I received the extension. This goes on the front O2 sensor?

Also in Post #1 OP states he's also getting a brake light and cruise light flashing.

Does Subaru really do all this for catalyst efficiency?? I thought they did for wheel speed sensors but not emissions?

Also in Post #1 OP states he's also getting a brake light and cruise light flashing.

Does Subaru really do all this for catalyst efficiency?? I thought they did for wheel speed sensors but not emissions?
How would I find out?

One other thing to check, and it’s cheap to fix…

I have a 2010 Outback with the 2.5 4 cylinder that I worked on for my brother recently. My nephew is looking at moving to it for its fuel efficiency, so we fixed it up after a small crash.

I had every light on on the dashboard: brakes, cruise, stability, check engine, and it ran rough. Trouble codes pointed to variable valve timing solenoid issues. P0082 or P0028 were what I saw.

Replaced the rusted up variable valves timing solenoid and the oil pressure switch after watching some Subaru oriented YouTube videos. Still had lights and the error codes.

Went under the car to check where oxygen sensors were, etc., and spotted an issue. The braided ground strap from the subframe to the left side of the engine was rotted in half. Took out the bolts, put a temporary ground I made up from a heavy wire and put that in; checked the car again and all those warning lights were gone. The car idled and revved with no problem. DTCs we’re gone as well.

I ordered in regular ground straps since that wire is too light to be a permanent fix.

Check your ground straps and see if it dies anything. It’s certainly a cheap fix and is worth a look. 😎

Back