2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 V6 Blown up engine 109k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by madRiver
The description passed along by garage? gave you blown. However without a tear down or analysis of actual failure we can't surmise much out of the failure. Eg is the noise the timing chain or tensioner failed? Is it valve train or something internal?

Ditto. "Blown" doesn't tell us enough. For all we know, it'll be under a grand to fix--expensive, but not really in the scheme of things, and not unexpected after 6 years and 100k to just have random failures.

10 years or 100,000 miles.

If it was a Hyundai dealer "Blown" means "Blown". A Hyundai mechanic on a Hyundai form said they had 200 cars with blown motors waiting for motors and the dealership sister other branded dealerships were helping installing motors in Hyundai's. with more coming almost every day. More coming in then going out, at that time. The dealer has to document every motor with pictures, but when you hear it and they say blown and they say you are getting a new motor that have pictures or will be taking picture and know what Hyundai will approve. They did this daily for 2 years plus everywhere in the world. My dealer had 55 blow motors waiting for motors when mine was being done. They can't dink around fixing and pulling cranks and sending them out. There are large warehouse assembly line rebuilds pumping engines out and pulling pulling and installing, no time or money deal with them locally. When these engines go there is aluminum all through out the oil passages packed solid in some cases. It's cheaper to mass produce engines because this is world wide, and after a certain amount they can use their old cores as the building stock. The dealer told me mine came out of one of the USA's largest engine rebuilds. I forgot the name. Many people waited for 3 months to get their engine, mine took a month and 3 weeks to get if I remember right. I was given a long block but it came in as a short block and a new head casting with nothing in it and a bag of new seals valves springs retainers and ect.

They came out with a new knock sensor program to listen for the early sign of rod knock and then it goes into limp mode. 100,000's and 100,000's of cars were recalled for this new program and new knock sensor and many were throwing false positives on Hyundai, so it is/was a smit show. 12 years of this crap because South Koreans want to put their head in the sand and not let someone else design or find the problem......just put your head in the sand and hope it goes away as you keep making more. No big deal we have spent a billion dollars on recalling and rebuilding millions of car for 12 years. I love my car, lets hope mine will make it through 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted by 1911CHAMPION
I've been down that Ford / Chevy road. Never again...

Weird. My 2002 Expedition is still on the road, years after I sold it, had 210,000 miles on it when I sold it, probably has well over 250,000 on it now. That old gas-sucking 5.4L was dead-nuts reliable, only issue I ever had with it was that it launched a plug. Cheap to fix.

Don't most of the vehicle manufacturers have some serious recall issues? I can think of many: Ford F150 aluminum panel paint/corrosion, Ford Focus transmission, GM key fiasco, FCA too many to list, Honda VCM and tranny problems, Subaru oil consumption issues. And if you think Toyota is blameless, you would be upset if your vehicle had one of these costly problems: http://www.toyotaproblems.com/problems/

While its fun to bash the vehicle of choice, those who abandon brands because they got burned by a particular experience will have very slim pickings. Maybe a horse and buggy? No, horses go lame too.

Vehicle details:
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe FWD with the 3.3 liter V6. (Wife's daily driver, and family vehicle for road trips) Religious oil/filter changes every 5,000 miles.

How does an engine inexplicably self-destruct under normal driving conditions with exceptional maintenance record using high lubricants (strictly Mobil 1) and good oil filters...?

Curious - for we own two new Korean makes and considering lifetime Mobil-1 in our Kia.
Which Mobil-1 oil were you using?...... Vanilla?....... EP?......AP?
What oil filter make & model did you use the most?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Weird. My 2002 Expedition is still on the road, years after I sold it, had 210,000 miles on it when I sold it, probably has well over 250,000 on it now. That old gas-sucking 5.4L was dead-nuts reliable, only issue I ever had with it was that it launched a plug. Cheap to fix.

[Linked Image]

The Taurus had 106,000 miles on it when the Pump shaft splines in the Torque Converter stripped out. Proof of my own labor to save some $$$. That entire job only set me back about $500. $350 for a converter and transmission seals, fluids, ball joints, tie rod ends for the front suspension... That had the Duratec 3.0, it was quick.

I agree with the point about most shops swapping in used engines instead of rebuilding. There is much less risk and time from their perspective. The probability of mistakes when building an engine for someone along with the amount of man-hours required makes it an unpopular option for most shops. They know that most customers want the cheapest option anyway, and rebuilding an engine will be a lot more labor than swapping one. I would rather have a known good used (running) engine swapped into one of my vehicles that was built by the factory over something built by Jimmy Shopowner after 4-5 beers or worse a company like Jasper.

This is a tough financial fork in the road, but the best solution really depends on your situation. If the vehicle is paid off and worth about ~10,000 running and driving, it might be worth fixing if you have the cash. Could you buy a decent reliable and comparable vehicle for $5000? Probably not, and if you buy something newer and take on payments that isn't the best thing either. You could always fix it, then sell it for $10,000 to Carmax or something and come out with 5,000 you could put towards something else.

Originally Posted by Gebo

I been down the Chevy. Never again...

Preach on!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

[Linked Image]

The Taurus had 106,000 miles on it when the Pump shaft splines in the Torque Converter stripped out. Proof of my own labor to save some $$$. That entire job only set me back about $500. $350 for a converter and transmission seals, fluids, ball joints, tie rod ends for the front suspension... That had the Duratec 3.0, it was quick.

That seems a lot more financially palatable than your current predicament
lol.gif

The engine Shop suspects the Oil pump went out (based on symptoms leading up to the "failure"). The engine rattling noise at cold startup (happening for a long time but never thought anything of it) indicates a malfunctioning anti-drainback valve, but this engine uses a cartridge style filter located near the valve cover. So where the heck is the anti-drainback valve to ensure oil stays up in all the oil galleries in the block and heads? Is it actually located in the oil pump on this engine?

Still waiting for a formal diagnosis with all the details after they complete the tear-down.

Used to have a customer back in the day with a Nissan Titan that had his engine let go at 10K miles. He said Nissan tried every way possible to NOT cover it under warranty. Had to get lawyers involved and all that...

OK, so here is the latest and greatest.... (what you've all been waiting for I'm sure).

They determined that the engine was rebuild-able and quoted us the same $$$ to rebuild the OE block as to replace it with the 56,000 miles salvage yard engine. We opted to go forward with the rebuild. They said it should be complete by the end of the week (01/10/2020).

I was originally contemplating on trading it in or selling it outright for a newer vehicle after the salvage yard engine was installed (ticking time bomb?), but the other half likes it too much to get rid of it now and after dumping this much $ into the engine we might as well just keep driving it. Still very upset with Hyundai for developing and manufacturing a vehicle that has an engine with an obvious design flaw, but our only option is to look at other brands when we decide to replace the Santa Fe with something else.

I will ask that they provide a detailed invoice for the engine rebuild and get a snapshot of that to post here.

Thanks for all the input and advice, it made this experience slightly less painful.

What's the design flaw? We've heard from multiple people that these engines are reliable and have no common problems. Don't confuse a single failure with a design flaw. Stuff happens, things break. Happens on Honda's, Toyota's, literally all brands. When you sell hundreds of thousands of something it's inevitable.

"We've heard from multiple people that these engines are reliable and have no common problems."
Unfortunately multiple people doesn't represent hundred of thousands.

If these engines are so reliable and have no common problems, then why are there only 6 engines available on car-part dot com that are compatible with this model year within a 150 mile radius (including Detroit Metro), and the CHEAPEST one is $3500...?

I looked up Engines for Same model year Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot and there are DOZENS of engines available for less than 1/2 the price of the Hyundai 3.3
There's a shortage of salvage yard engines for a reason... supply vs demand. I'm just sharing my observations of availability.

Our 2007 Santa Fe made it 189,000 before the transmission started to slip, zero issues from day one and purchased new off the lot. But quite disappointed this go-around with Hyundai.

Some findings on Carcomplaints tell the tale.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Be careful how you view that information. Keep in mind the only people reporting on there are angry and generally have no idea what actually caused an issue.

I scrolled through the "engine failure" complaints and of the 11 only 1 seemed to be the V6. The rest are the 4 cylinder.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
You could also say that there is only 6 engines because none ever show up in the salvage yards....

Except that doesn't pass basic logic which stipulates that a certain percentage of vehicles will end up in the salvage yard due to collisions, so unless there are vastly fewer of these vehicles on the road, to make up the spread between this model and that from other marques, the obvious conclusion is that there are fewer available because of higher demand.

OK, so here is the latest and greatest.... (what you've all been waiting for I'm sure).

They determined that the engine was rebuild-able and quoted us the same $$$ to rebuild the OE block as to replace it with the 56,000 miles salvage yard engine. We opted to go forward with the rebuild. They said it should be complete by the end of the week (01/10/2020).

I was originally contemplating on trading it in or selling it outright for a newer vehicle after the salvage yard engine was installed (ticking time bomb?), but the other half likes it too much to get rid of it now and after dumping this much $ into the engine we might as well just keep driving it. Still very upset with Hyundai for developing and manufacturing a vehicle that has an engine with an obvious design flaw, but our only option is to look at other brands when we decide to replace the Santa Fe with something else.

I will ask that they provide a detailed invoice for the engine rebuild and get a snapshot of that to post here.

Thanks for all the input and advice, it made this experience slightly less painful.

After going through an experience like yours, it's understandably difficult to hear others say how well their's has turned out. I completely understand your frustration and hope whatever you do, this or the vehicle that replaces it is more reliable. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back