2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 V6 Blown up engine 109k

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, sorry for your loss.

But this failure just reaffirms the facts: No oil, not even Mobil 1, can compensate for engineering or manufacturing defects/deficiencies. Until people stop buying crappy machinery from a certain brand (this statement is not Hyundai-specific BTW), the designs will never change. It obviously doesn't cost Hyundai that much to replace an entire engine when seen thru the lens of cujet's info... so why would they care? People see "100K WARRANTY!" and jump on the bandwagon of perpetuating problems. Marketing.

Originally Posted by Eddie
+1 shop didn't want to mess with it and offered to sell a used engine to make money. I'd find a mechanic and see what happened and possible fix. Ed
Mechanics don't rebuild engines for modern cars, they just replace them.

Sorry OP but you should just drop in a used engine and go on your way. It sucks, but at least your car is worth putting a new engine in. Everyone loves Hyundai because they have the flash of Honda and Toyota for a cheap price. My neighbor has had a couple and likes them, but I've read horror stories about their engines on here.

Originally Posted by Mainia
I write this as a previous Hyundai owner with a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT 1.8 liter owner that had the piston/bearing issue at 14,000 running Mobil1 and 3,000 mile oil changes because of short tripping. I also believe it or not am a new Hyundai owner, 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD lowered 2 inches, because the 1.6T is their best engine with the least issues and I wanted a new small AWD car for sport driving, and it fit every check box. So I rolled the dice.
My last DD was a lowered 2003 Jetta, I'll never drive a lowered DD again. Although the handling was excellent, my exhaust got ripped off driving in heavy snow last winter.

Though I've confidently tackled engine and transmission swaps in the past, my peroneal nerves in my knees have become quite sensitive and that prohibits me from spending extensive periods of time on them for making repairs.

With regards to the "garage"...
The second place the vehicle was taken to (after initial repair shop determined that the engine was "toast") is a highly reputable engine repair/rebuilding business in this area. For $79 per year they will offer a 100,000 mile warranty on this engine swap with the 56,000 mile salvage yard engine. The junkyard engine is $4000 and the labor is about $1000. To even replace it myself would still set me back over $4000 more than likely, and wouldn't have a warranty for the work performed...

I'll be hearing from the engine shop this afternoon and will be discussing their determination of what failed. I'll report back later with their reply.

What does blown mean... could mean a lot. I would have a second mechanic look at it. Seems crazy to blow up an engine with so little miles unless you drive the crap out of it.

$79/year is cheap insurance, have to admit that. But $5k? Ouch, I'd think twice too. I'm not sure how much trade-in value should come into play, but it might be a good number to have on hand to help the choice making process--if perfectly running was less than that $5k, it might be time to walk away... especially if you were planning on moving on anyhow.

Did you drive the vehicle to shop #2 or is it not moving any more? Sounds like it was towed the second time, due to excessive noise. But while it was running and moving, was it moving just fine? Two shops shouldn't misdiagnose something, but lots of things can make quite a lot of racket, and not be engine internals (loose flywheel bolts, maybe).

Will be interested in hearing what blew.

If you do get into rebuilding your engine, it would be wonderful to see some pics of what went wrong and similar parts that had not failed.

Oh man.. Sorry to hear about that one because like said above, this is typically a very trouble free, long lasting engine. I used to participate heavily in all that was Hyundai given I owned a 2008 Santa Fe some years ago.

I'd try for some Hyundai dealer goodwill if you haven't. Offer to pay some. Other than that, there would be zero chance of me putting over $5000 into a 7yr/old Hyundai. You guarantee if you traded it in as-is at a Hyundai store, they'd get mostly reimbursed for an engine swap.

I find it hard to believe a used 3.3 would cost someone off the street $4000??

Last edited:
I'm guessing they're hard to come buy in good condition with low mileage.

[Linked Image]

What a bad situation. This reminds me of the old Chrysler 2.7 Sebring engines. Good friend of mine had a brand new one, Mobil 1 oil changes, still needed a brand new engine by 80k (Powertrain warranty covered luckliy). When you searched for a good used 2.7 they were all stupid expensive. Good indication of wide spread problems. Go look up a normal engine that isn't failing and its probably $750.

Originally Posted by dareo
What a bad situation. This reminds me of the old Chrysler 2.7 Sebring engines. Good friend of mine had a brand new one, Mobil 1 oil changes, still needed a brand new engine by 80k (Powertrain warranty covered luckliy). When you searched for a good used 2.7 they were all stupid expensive. Good indication of wide spread problems. Go look up a normal engine that isn't failing and its probably $750.

Compared to some popular Toyota/Honda Engines:
2011 - 2014 Honda 3.5L Less than 45,000 miles .... $1200
2011 - 2016 Toyota 3.5L Less than 30,000 miles .... $1300

Hyundai = WTFrizzle ... seriously.

Private Party Book Value or the Santa Fe in Excellent condition on KBB is about $10,500.

Originally Posted by 1911CHAMPION
I'm guessing they're hard to come buy in good condition with low mileage.

Good grief.. I too just did a search and it came to the same price ranges! Even of fleaBAY, they're ~$3600+ tax.

A used VQ35DD for my 2019 Pathfinder isn't even that expensive!

I know it's a pain, but I'd call some local Hyundai service managers to see if there's anything they can do, even if you have to tow it there.

Last edited:
Mechanics don't rebuild engines for modern cars, they just replace them.

Incorrect. I have some good friends (father/son) who run a very reputable machine shop in this area. They do machine work on ALL sorts of "new" engines. Head work, block boring/honing, assembly balancing, assembly...you name it.

On the flip side, my wife's boss' 2016 Kia Sorento 3.3 blew a head gasket a few months back. Their diagnosis included testing to see how much coolant was present in the oil and it was beyond acceptable. They pulled the engine and disassembled it to find excessive wear on the main and rod bearing journals of the crankshaft. The Kia dealership REBUILT it...did not replace it. It was 100% covered under her warranty.

Originally Posted by madRiver
The description passed along by garage? gave you blown. However without a tear down or analysis of actual failure we can't surmise much out of the failure. Eg is the noise the timing chain or tensioner failed? Is it valve train or something internal?

A most impressive response.

Originally Posted by GoldDot40
Incorrect. I have some good friends (father/son) who run a very reputable machine shop in this area. They do machine work on ALL sorts of "new" engines. Head work, block boring/honing, assembly balancing, assembly...you name it.

Machine shop owners the way you call them mechanics are not the same way the original reference to mechanics is. "Mechanics" means the guys who work for dealerships (private and car company) or small shops that only fix cars, and today, except for a small fraction of their workforce, seem to be only parts slingers instead of actual technicians, and parts slinger would correctly apply to just swapping an engine vs. rebuilding it.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Machine shop owners the way you call them mechanics are not the same way the original reference to mechanics is. "Mechanics" means the guys who work for dealerships (private and car company) or small shops that only fix cars, and today, except for a small fraction of their workforce, seem to be only parts slingers instead of actual technicians, and parts slinger would correctly apply to just swapping an engine vs. rebuilding it.

Not sure what you mean. The dealership "mechanic" (or whichever term you prefer) is the one who tore this engine down, diagnosed the problem, sent the components out to be cleaned...at a machine/engine shop...then reassembled the engine at the dealership. They ordered a new crankshaft, bearings, piston rings and all gaskets from Kia. The crankshaft had to be shipped from Korea...which is why the dealership had it for 2 months.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Not sure what you mean. The dealership "mechanic" (or whichever term you prefer) is the one who tore this engine down, diagnosed the problem, sent the components out to be cleaned...at a machine/engine shop...then reassembled the engine at the dealership. They ordered a new crankshaft, bearings, piston rings and all gaskets from Kia. The crankshaft had to be shipped from Korea...which is why the dealership had it for 2 months.

Easy fellas. This thread about a "blown up" engine (however you decide to define that) was not intended to be the stage for an argument over the definition of a technician vs a mechanic. I consider myself both in the regards that I can Sling Parts and diagnose/determine the cause of a failure. I just don't have access to this vehicle or the time/means to address the failure on a personal labor level at this time.

Considering we are a 2 vehicle household and school resumes next week, getting the repair or replacement taken care of in a timely manner was rather critical. We're committed to the replacement engine with 56,000 miles. It is what it is.

Appreciate all the input though. Will update after some miles are accumulated with a status report on durability.

Sorry to hear about the motor. Very surprising as that engine is a workhorse and pretty bullet proof. I have not seen any reports of blown 3.3 on Hyundai forums (unlike their 2.4). My family has a 3.3 with about 180K on it and it runs and sounds like new.
You should have contacted Hyundai immediately, they may have made good on a motor. Before the 2.4 warranty extension they were replacing motors for free that had 130-150K on them. It may be too late now to have them do anything.

If it's was mine I would tear it down and see what happened and if the block is salvageable I'd rebuild it. I'm one who likes to repair/rebuild rather than replace .

Last edited:
Really sorry for your situation. At 109K miles it may be a lost cause to have it partially covered by Hyundai but worth a try nonetheless. I also haven't read of the V6 H/K motors having issues like the 2.4 or 2.0T - just the opposite really. But i know it s.u.x. regardless. Good luck and keep us posted, please.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back