2013 Ford Focus filter with more filtering capacit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give me part numbers for a 2013 Focus SE oil filter that would have a greater capacity than the stock filter recommendation? I am interested in Royal Purple, K&N and NAPA Platinum part numbers. The filter can be longer and bigger in circumference (looking at it I would say twice as long and probably a little bit bigger in circumference. I am not looking for a longer oil change interval, just more filtering capacity.

Thanks in advance,
kajunman

that's equivalent to the Wix 51348, which is a 3/4x16 filter.
There are tons of options for it..

I only know Wix #'s..

my Fusion is supposed to use the FL-910s, which is what the Wix 51348 is equal to.

However, I was forced to use the Wix 51516 because of 2 little dimples on the outside edge where the filter is. I was not able to run the 51068, 51085 or 51515 (which are the bigger and wider sized filters.

the 51515 is like the FL-1A, the 51516 is the FL400S, however, the 51516 retains the extra length.

So your options would be
the

the 51516 is probably the filter you're looking for.
this translates to the FL-400s Motorcraft

I can't give you RP #'s, but if you really want to run k&n: HP-2009
Napa, would be 1516

Last edited:
Never have been able to figure out the bigger filter obsession. The engine was designed for the filter that came from the factory. Filter size affects oil pressure. A filter bigger than stock can (not always) lower oil pressure. Flame on:
28.gif

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Never have been able to figure out the bigger filter obsession. The engine was designed for the filter that came from the factory. Filter size affects oil pressure. A filter bigger than stock can (not always) lower oil pressure. Flame on:
28.gif

Filter construction affects oil pressure yet many DIFFERENT designs get the same number.

The word "capacity" can mean many things. A 15K rated M1 filter should have more capacity at holding dirt, but is no bigger than a standard filter.

I suspect you mean more surface area to filter oil as the oil passes thru the filter, but not sure how that is beneficial from the situation mentioned above as all the oil passes thru "some" media.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
A filter bigger than stock can (not always) lower oil pressure. Flame on:
28.gif

Only slightly if the oil pressure sensor is BEFORE the filter. Most vehicles have the oil pressure sensor after the filter, so the pressure you see is due to the volume being pushed through only the engine. With a positive displacement oil pump, you will see the same engine oil pressure if the same volume & viscosity is being pushed through, regardless of the restriction of the oil filter ... UNLESS, the oil pump is in pressure relief, then you would see a difference in engine oil pressure because not all the volume would be going through the engine anymore when the pump is in pressure relief mode

A note to all of you "I need a bigger filter" than the factory spec guys-once you install a different filter than is spec'd, all liability is on you not the filter company.

I have sold auto parts for over 30 years and I have had around 4 or 5 filter issues that involved Wix. They paid all but one. You can guess which one they didn't pay-the use of the wrong filter for the application.

Please don't try to be a backyard engineer. Use the filter spec'd and sleep well at night. FYI, you will also loose the powertrain warranty from Ford by using the wrong filter. You don't have to use a Motorcraft but you do need to use the proper filter spec'd by the filter manufacturer i.e. Wix, Fram etc.

Dave

Last edited:
A gentleman on bobs is the oil guy led me to several larger capacity filters. Several exist. The one I will use is K&N #HP 2009. It is 3 iches in diameter and 5 inches deep. Also recommended was NAPA 1516 and Royal Purple 30 and RP 10.

Thanks,
kajunman

Well the 51348, 51516 have the same burst pressure of 275, and the same bypass valve setting 8-11psi, as does the 51515 and 51068. (which these bigger filters do 290psi)
So spec wise, it's no more or less.

the obsession for a bigger filter is the ability to have extra oi for the motor without overfilling the sump.
Also, the extra filter media helps, yes, probably not much, but it isn't hurting.
Also, more oil, more cooling capability, and possibly slightly longer life of the oil.

I always prefill my oil filters whenever possible, I do this simply because I was shown it 25 years ago and I've never seen a reason to not do it. The engine doesn't get starved for for that 1-2 seconds, it "wets" the filter so it doesn't get a "shock" of oil being blasted at it and I'm such in a habit of doing it, I simply can't not do it.
On some cars like the camry's & avalons that have the filter upside down, I prefill the filter half way and let the media absorb the oil then I spin it on.

But when the filter is filled with oil, to me the engine shouldn't care about a longer filter, the oil pump pumps oil in and it gets spit out to the engine, to me it's a non-issue.

I know the mfgr's spec a specific size filter while even they know they can use a larger size, but choose not to.
I believe it's because of oil capacity spec. Not to often you see a 5.7qt capacity, you'd see like 5 or 6.
So IMHO it's for filling spec more than anything.
However, as we use bigger filters, WE are on our own for filling spec and I agree, for warranty purposes as well.

When any car is under warranty, I don't go straying from what the mfgr specs, I don't put the cold air intake on or the K&N repl. I stick with the stock replacement filters.

I wish I had a camera to photograph the chevy dealer when my father in law brought his carpet steaming van in for a fuel pump. they flipped when they saw the 2qt size oil filter with a magnet on the base and a finned heat sink wrapped around it.
They tried the scare tactic, but he told them what they could do with their thoughts. (finally).
I've been using that 2qt filter for 3 years, the motor is revved 2500-3000 rpm for hours on end, middle of winter, and middle of California summers. They're half sized itsy bitsy filter and dino oil didn't cut it for me, and I'd be embarassed to let that happen as a BITOG member!
So he held an 8qt capacity oil system, 2 in the filter, 5 1/2 in the motor and another half in the oil cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back