2013 Ford Escape SE 2.0 AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Give credit where credit is due, right? Well, I just drove a 2013 Ford Escape SE 2.0 (EcoBoost) AWD rental for a week and I have to say: I'm impressed. NVH, handling, fuel economy, Sync (seamless BT streaming of my podcasts, GPS, and interaction with Siri), and most of all: power. Holy [censored]. For a mini-SUV, this thing hauls, and virtually no turbo-lag. Full throttle acceleration out of a corner is scary fast for a mini-SUV. I checked online and found various measures for 0-60, including several 6.5s, which matches my own experience. The Intelligent 4WD works very well (instantaneous power transfer to AWD under hard acceleration and to FWD when cruising). Capless fuel filler is a nice touch, as well.

Nice job, Ford.

I used to make fun of the eco-boast engine until I drove the 2.0EB in my parents 2013 escape. There is torque everywhere, and when you punch it, IT GOES.

Its sounds like you drove it like most of us would, wring it out and see whats she's got!. What type of mileage did you get under real world driving.

Last edited:
Wife drive an older with the V-6. I tried to talk her into something newer for a couple years. She says no, so I upgraded my commute vehicle instead.
126k and no issues, just routine maintenance so far.
I couldn't get her eye to even look at the 2013's 2.0.
Stubborn or sensible... both I think.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
Its styling is out there, but much better looking then anything Mazda has.

I doubt many people agree with that, though it is subjective.
Ah yes, the Ford Kuga (Escape). Design team led by one Erica Tsubaki. Wait, she came from Mazda? Straaange.
Love that 2.0L Ecoboost engine. A Ford-ified version of the 2.3L DISI turbo? Sure, is. Just dropped the stroke down to the 2.0L (83mm vs 94mm), stick an extra cam phaser on there and a Ford engine control system, modify the sand molds slightly and voila, welcome to 2006 everyone.
lol.gif
Seriously though, the 2.0L is rather decent- pulls nicely
thumbsup2.gif

I think you'll find your opinion in the minority.
crackmeup2.gif

I have an 01 Escape with 195k. I like the styling of the new one. I would be curious about visibility though. The old one is boxy with great visibility. Most of the new SUVs are styled so that visibility suffers.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
...but God is it ugly!!!

I wouldn't say it's butt ugly. Plus it's not like your driving it while sitting on the hood.

crackmeup2.gif

I'm with R2D2. The CX-5 is much goofier looking.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
Its sounds like you drove it like most of us would, wring it out and see whats she's got!. What type of mileage did you get under real world driving.

hemitom- I got 18.0MPG with 100% city driving and, like you say, wringing it out from most stops. It was just too much fun to do otherwise.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I would be curious about visibility though. The old one is boxy with great visibility. Most of the new SUVs are styled so that visibility suffers.

Due to the tiny rear window (vertically challenged?) rear visibility is poor. The high belt line makes overall visibility not great, but comparable to most modern vehicles. The side mirrors do have wide angle mini-mirrors in them, which is helpful.

As for styling, it looks pretty generic mini-crossover to me. I did not care for the fake side vent.

One more con I just remembered: the interior climate control vents are strangely shaped and placed so if you're the type who likes airflow in your face, that will be hard to get.

Originally Posted By: hemitom

I can pull 28-30 out of it on trips.

Originally Posted By: kam327

crackmeup2.gif

I'm with R2D2. The CX-5 is much goofier looking.

Styling wise, Escape > CX-5 by a mile.

I've not really cared for Mazda's current styling fad. CX-5 initially looked good to me, but has started to look "frumpy" (and this is a guy who drives a CR-V, one of the ugliest ones out there!). Their new 6 looks swoopy, but I think that stuff looks dated pretty quick. Looks like the same with the new 3. Flashy at first, but old quick. Like the Hyundai Sonata.

Mazda needs to be commended, however, on the new 3's interior. Very subtle, pretty conservative, and very functional. The exterior team should have taken the same cue.

Styling is certainly subjective.

2013_ford_escape_4dr-suv_titanium_g_oem_1_500.jpg

2013_ford_escape_4dr-suv_titanium_cc_oem_1_500.jpg

2014_mazda_cx-5_ip_ct_610131_500.jpg

2014_mazda_cx-5_nav_lt_6122013_500.jpg

At least Mazda is keeping interiors somewhat simple and resembling CARS still! (with actual knobs for HVAC! How novel)
The Escape looks like a transformer or something.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

At least Mazda is keeping interiors somewhat simple and resembling CARS still! (with actual knobs for HVAC! How novel)

My 2013 Escape rental had knobs for HVAC, too.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

This is what would keep me from buying many new Fords. I drove five different Fords at the EcoBoost Challenge event this weekend and didn't like the interiors in any of them. C-Max, Fusion, Escape, Focus, Fiesta. The Focus was the most likable, and I could live with it. The C-Max was also okay. I wouldn't buy an Escape, Fusion, or Fiesta on the basis of the interior alone.

I absolutely commend Mazda for their work on the new 3's interior. This is absolutely what the model of a pleasing and functional interior should be, perhaps minus the touch screen if you don't care for that (but it's optional in the Mazda). The only nit I have with the Mazda is the gauge cluster (and certainly moreso with the Fords!). Quit with the silly individual binacles and give me an easy-to-read dash. The one in my CR-V is the best I've used. Functional, simple, and readable at the quickest glance.

Give me a combo of these two and I'd be set.

025-2014-mazda3.jpg

2008-honda-crv-ex-l-2.jpg

OK I just had this same vehicle for 2 more weeks (rental) and here are some more comments:

1. High belt line, tiny rear window, and subpar main mirrors hinder visibility.

2. The turning radius on this thing is awful. I mean really, really bad. My '97 Landcruiser is incredibly easy to park compared to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back