2013 edge 3.5 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have one? Thoughts on oil? Should I leave original oil in and change when monitor says life is low? or drive a little and put fresh oil in ASAP?

I pick the car up wednesday the 2/19, so I don't have it in position yet.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I say drive 500 miles then oil change, drive another 1500 oil change then follow OLM

Btw cant go wrong with Motorcraft

I changed the factory fill in my F150 at 3,000, although I probably didn't need to but I'm old school. In my case (and probably yours), follow the OLM. My last change was over 8,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: JAM25
I say drive 500 miles then oil change, drive another 1500 oil change then follow OLM

Changing the oil twice in 2,000 miles is a waste and is not needed.

While not an Edge, I left mine in for the full oil change cycle. These engines have filters and it will catch the junk.

Afterwards I just follow the OLM.

Last edited:
Good question. Most factory fills have increased wear additives for protection and initial analysis show high wear rates and high silicon. Some people subscribe to quick changes and others going the full recommended mileage.Full breakin for a lot of engines is often beyond 25K, where UOA's show a leveling off of wear metals and silicon approach normal. Shorter intervals help flush out the engine faster and may lower wear rates. I chose to do 2 changes initially of the recommended oil change interval before going the full intervals during my warranty period. I chose one oil for the warranty period but there are many great brands to choose from and mixing between shouldn't hurt.

I would follow the recommendations in the owners manual. My wife and I go by the severe service recommendations as we both make a lot of very short trips and do a lot of city driving.

Unless the owners manual recommends an early change of oil for break in would not worry about it.

There's a chance that the extra lubricants from the manufacturing process are helpful for break in. That's what Honda says and they know a thing or two about gasoline engine durability. I doubt that Ford does anything materially different. Of course, you could always hedge your bets and change it at 5K miles. Whatever break-in benefit to the factory fill has taken place by then, probably.

The Ford IOLM works great. I know because I tested it on my 2012 on the 3.7L. The excellent Motorcraft oil sailed through the 5K mark, and when the IOLM finally went off at 8,300, it was still well within spec and had plenty of additive left. Merely, my short-haul driving habits had caused the acid build up to outrun the add pack. (which requires a certain amount of engine heating to do its job). But I still had plenty of powder dry so to speak in the add pack that had not been activated. I could have jumped in the car and driven a couple of thousand miles on the highway with nothing but benefit.

Some of the Eco-boost engines showed fuel dilution in the oil, which causes some people to change extra early, but that seems to have been solved now.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Edge 3.5 purchased new. I did the first oil change at 4977 miles. I use Motorcraft 5W20 synthetic blend and the Motorcraft oil filter. I change every 5000 miles and the OLM has never shown below 50%.

I have 27000 miles now and have never used a drop of oil between changes. I know from what I've read that I could go farther on the oil, but I am comfortable with the 5000 intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back