2012 Passat - rental impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm typing this on my cell phone so just bear with me, lol.

For the past 3 days I have been using a 2012 Passat as a loaner vehicle. It's the base model with the appearance package. So it has the nice wheels and leather touches on the center console. As you would expect it is an automatic transmission.

At first I disliked the car quite a bit but that's mainly because I was trying to compare it to my last two VWs. The car feels much different but I would say for the average American driver, this is a good thing.

It's lacking the feeling of a "drivers car" that many VWs give you. The Passat drives like it looks. It's heavy, solid, slow, and... Boring. I have to say though it is an extremely comfortable commuter. I can see why people are buying these things up. It's a no frills ride with a soft, boring suspension but the car does feel very refined.

I think it was the critic who described the 2.5L in the Passat as feeling much more refined than in the golf, beetle, Jetta, and so on... This is absolutely true. The engine sounds smooth and efficient. It's a good fit for the new Passat. I'm not sure of what changes they have done to the engine for this vehicle but it seems to behave a little different. It's also worth noting that the car is very slow. This will be fine for any casual driver but for anyone looking for a "fun" ride, this probably won't fit the bill. And even if you try to thrash it nothing happens, it just does its job. Not too exciting but I dont seeing meant to be exciting. That's what the 6cyl Passat is for.

A bit uphill and AC was on, but still, pretty lifeless. Oh well.

The interior is nice in my opinion. The layout is attractive and everything seems solid with good door thunks and no rattles or creaks. The cost cutting is noticeable though. While there's some soft plastics here and there, the rest of the car has very hard plastics and lacks the finer details you'd find in the German built passats from last gen. I find the interior bashing to be a bit overblown though, you couldn't get a 2010 Passat for under 20k. One complaint I have though is that the radio and climate controls are much too low and reaching for them is a distraction. My eyes have to drift too much off the road to change the radio or AC controls.

The car is huge. It has tons of room and you'd probably be able to fit 3 adults in the trunk (not recommended). Visibility is superb, little to no blind spots. That's something rare with new cars anymore.

If you are looking for a larger family car that drives nice I'd have to the reccomend checking out this car. It seems solid all around.

Thanks for the review. I've been doing a lot of reading about this car lately.

A Passat TDI may end up in my garage in the coming months. I have never before entertained the idea of a VW, but this car is doing exactly what it was designed to do - attract North American buyers into the showroom (I was on a VW lot for the first time in my life last week).

Our next car is going to be my wife's daily driver (along with her 3 others...) as well as our trip car. I am waiting to see if the new Mazda6 will be available with their new diesel (Skyactiv-D) and 6MT before I pull the trigger on the Passat.

Well the TDI's in a 6 speed are fun. I've driven the new Golf in a TDI and it was very fun. In the Passat, the 140hp engine will be a bit slow but enjoyable to drive. For me that's probably more important than any 0-60 time. I mean it is a daily driver after all. The Passat shines on the hwy. Just request to take it for a long test drive. 2 miles around the block won't cut it.

Sounds like a German interpretation of a Buick LeSabre or Chevy Impala. AKA, a couch on wheels. You and friends sink down into the seats, and it moves.

But isn't it stupefied for the American buying public?? Not the same car as is sold in Europe...

I have not driven the new Jetta or Passat but I was left un-impressed after looking them over at the showroom. The interiors are a huge step down, to the point where I think they need to catch up to be competitive. I noticed some strange fit and finish issues with exterior panels and the seats were not very comfortable.

That said, many consumers want simple transportation and as long as these prove reliable in the long term, the Passat fits the bill.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
But isn't it stupefied for the American buying public?? Not the same car as is sold in Europe...

Yup. Totally different car sold in North America.

I always thought vw's were overpriced. A 2.5 should have some pep. The little 1.8 in my car does get fun when it rev's up. I would be pretty dissapointed in that car if the power was low and interior fit and finish was sub par. I dont think ill ever buy a vw. Thanks for the review.

Originally Posted By: jigen
Embedded vid doesn't work on mobile. Here's a direct link.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/booloobunny/df5c80da.mp4

All of a sudden, Nick's CX-5 doesn't look all that bad.
smile.gif

Lol exactly! reviews say this can do 60 in under 8 seconds. No way. Maybe the 5speed manual. But not in the auto.

Lol exactly! reviews say this can do 60 in under 8 seconds. No way. Maybe the 5speed manual. But not in the auto.

C/D did it in 8.8 seconds (auto). Granted, that's a best case scenario, but your video shows around 13. Were the 3 adults still in the trunk when you were gunning it?

Lmao, nope. Just me. I weigh 170 lbs. AC was on that's it.

Granted i didn't step on it until it was going about 10mph or so.

Last edited:
I have not seen the US version, but I put 2,000 KM on a TDi, 6-speed manual, wagon (thank you Hertz for the upgrade) in Germany last October and loved it. Acceleration was good, ride and handling excellent (up to the car's max speed, which was 230 KMPH...at least, that's all I could get it to...). And after all my mix of city and autobahn driving, it got 40+MPG (adjusted from KM and Liters). I thought the interior was nice (though in black, a bit dark for me) and the mix of fuel economy with a really nice driving experience sold me on the car. If the US version is anything like that German one, I would buy it in a heartbeat...

Originally Posted By: abycat
I always thought vw's were overpriced. A 2.5 should have some pep. The little 1.8 in my car does get fun when it rev's up. I would be pretty dissapointed in that car if the power was low and interior fit and finish was sub par. I dont think ill ever buy a vw. Thanks for the review.

The 2.5 in our rabbit certainly does have [censored] and a lot of low-end torque. While I would have preferred a lower output small turbo 2.0T returning 35 MPG, we really can't complain about the 2.5 in the rabbit. The only thing it's missing is a sixth gear which I believe it needs. Though the 2.5 gets no love it really isn't that bad. Though I'm coming from a different car...

I too had one as a rental a month or so ago, it was very sterile with little personality. Now I had the ultimate stripper - even down to plastic wheel covers and no floor mats! Fuel economy was good (32 on a highway trip) and it drove alright. I was annoyed by the driver info screen, it is large (3"x4") and wouldn't display the temp and speed at the same time (or any two items together at the same time) since a large portion of it was taken up by the clock that is always there. Never mind there is an analog clock on the dash, and a third on the radio. Guess you'll always be on time.

It's not for me but I can see why someone would be interested in it. Give me a CC!

Granted i didn't step on it until it was going about 10mph or so.

But after that, you had it on the floor? It upshifted at, what, 5,500 rpm?

My CR-V is officially "fast" now.
smile.gif

Okay so lets try this again. No hills. No AC running. Comes to around the 9 second time that magazines are reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back