2012 Mazda5 transmission shudder?

I’m very seriously considering a 2012 Mazda5 with 143k miles. It is amazingly rust free and everything seems functional aside from one broken door handle and the radio antenna. It runs and drives fine but while I was driving it I thought I detected just the tinies bit of transmission shudder. I can’t be 100% certain because my first thought was that it was just steering wheel shake from a patch of rough pavement. It happened just driving at steady speed, not while accelerating or braking. The transmission fluid looks fairly dark so I’m assuming it needs to be changed asap.

Is this something to be concerned about or no big deal? I know almost nothing about automatic transmissions.

I’m very seriously considering a 2012 Mazda5 with 143k miles. It is amazingly rust free and everything seems functional aside from one broken door handle and the radio antenna. It runs and drives fine but while I was driving it I thought I detected just the tinies bit of transmission shudder. I can’t be 100% certain because my first thought was that it was just steering wheel shake from a patch of rough pavement. It happened just driving at steady speed, not while accelerating or braking. The transmission fluid looks fairly dark so I’m assuming it needs to be changed asap.

Is this something to be concerned about or no big deal? I know almost nothing about automatic transmissions.
By 2012 the 5 had been upgraded to the 5-speed automatic. I haven't heard much about that particular unit one way or another, but suspect it's the same one as was used in the Mazda 3 amd the Ford Fusion.

I would take it to a good transmission shop for an expert opinion.

I would change the fluid and filter with Mazda fluid and filter. This will likely improve the shudder.

FWIW my 06 Odyssey in sig. has been shuddering for a long time and I have no plans on sticking big money into it. Currently has 209,000 on it. It has been shuddering slight to med amount for 50,000+ miles, especially when it gets hot.
Fluid changes always seem to help.

It is very easy to change the ATF on these because Mazda was smart enough to include a drain plug. Maxlife or any other synthetic ATF on sale will work great :)

like the other guys said, change the fluid and the filter... some vehicles exhibit torque converter clutch shudder, which may or may not cure itself with some new fluid.. or it could be engine related...

that said, until the transmission is toast, its going to cost about the same thing if you spent money now as it will if it fails, so my suggestion would be to drive it until it does fail, after you change the fluid. It may never happen.

Back