2012 Buick LaCrosse 3.6L LFX Amsoil SS 0w-40 8k mi OCO

Fram ultra filter

1580B174-AC6F-4D8C-B9AF-0750D52ED6C3.jpeg

Consumption has gone up a lot…4 quarts in 8k with a thicker 40-weight is a lot of consumption.
These 3.6’s can be problematic; and high oil consumption is a sign that the engine is not doing well…

Consumption has gone up a lot…4 quarts in 8k with a thicker 40-weight is a lot of consumption.
These 3.6’s can be problematic; and high oil consumption is a sign that the engine is not doing well…
In defense of the engine, was gonna take a 7 hour road trip one way for a weekend getaway, added a quart of fresh oil and then changed it almost immediately. Now normally I wouldn’t do that but it popped a Camshaft position sensor code, one of the culprits can be dirty oil. Pretty sure it just needs a new sensor it’s a real common problem on these cars. So it should have been 3 quarts. Since I started doing my own oil changes the consumption stays the same in my eyes. Rather it seems to vary between a quart every 1-3k depending on how I drive it. If I drive it hard consumption is higher. So any time you see a little more consumption I was probably a little more spirited. Been this way since I got the car with 18k

Yeah, those sensors on neglected engines, both the 2.4 and the 3.6, come out covered in metallic sludge. Seen it so many times!

…not saying your engine is sludged, should be nice and clean! As long as you keep the oil topped up, should be fine for the future.

They are nice, smooth, powerful cars, the models on this chassis.

Yeah, those sensors on neglected engines, both the 2.4 and the 3.6, come out covered in metallic sludge. Seen it so many times!

…not saying your engine is sludged, should be nice and clean! As long as you keep the oil topped up, should be fine for the future.

They are nice, smooth, powerful cars, the models on this chassis.
I really like it a lot!

Back