2011 Toyota 5.7L Burning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Crispysea
Have you tried a different brand? Different additives may help. My Ranger was using a quart every 2000 miles or so. I changed the PCV valve, but it didn’t help. I had been using Castrol 5W-20, but tried Idemitsu 0W-20. Now it uses less than half the oil.

That's good, just recently picked up 25 qts. of it to go in the Camry soon. Not all at once though.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: thooks
I'm not changing oil viscosity. Sorry, but I doubt any of you are engine manufacturing engineers nor do you perform testing on them. There are many cases coming out where the non-spec'ed viscosity is causing problems in the newer engines. This ain't 1982.

There's plenty of 5w20 HM oils out there. I noticed some consumption in the Camry, about a qt. over 8.5k miles. Topped off with some Mobil 5w20 HM conventional oil and haven't really noticed any more consumption since then. Well maybe a tiny bit, about an eighth of a quart over 6k miles.

I checked the cam towers on the Sequoia. Passenger side is 100% clear. No leaking. Driver's side, only minor dirt/oil collecting on the front 1/4 of the head. Nothing major, certainly not contributing to a major oil loss.

I'm going to try to get the PCV Valve replaced this weekend.

Lol at this thread. Everyone comes in to give OP advice then OP gets mad at everyone and throws a tantrum cuz it's not what he wants to hear

Change to 0-16w

Lol

FWIW my wife has a 2017 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 that also takes 0W-20 oil. Her car used 2 quarts in the 6,000 mile interval with NAPA oil (I believe it's still Valvoline) but when I switched to Mobil One 0W-20 it pretty much stopped using oil. It's gone 5,000 miles on this oil change and it's down less than 1/2 quart.

Just a minor follow-up-

I am at about 6,000 miles on this run of oil (I think I used M1 High Mileage 0W20). I have been trying to find the time to change it with another round of the same oil.

During the first 3k miles, I had to add 2 quarts to bet it back full- all at once. I checked it about 3k miles into the run and there was barely a touch of oil on the dipstick.

I changed the PCV valve around that time and have driven it 'with passion' at times. This is not a daily driver, it sits in the driveway most of the time. It has taken several 80-120 mile trips to the north Atlanta suburbs, some short (10-20 mile) trips, etc. in the last 3k miles.

As far as I can tell, it has consumed about 1/2 quart in the last 3k miles, most of that was before I could get the PCV valve replaced.

I'm hoping that was the cause. I am going to be very meticulous in checking the oil level and recording the level/mileage during the next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back