2011 Ford Fiesta?

I guess after a bit one gets good at it. Get it down to a couple hours and maybe it's a "trivial" job to do. 'cept for buying the reman. But I thought it was just the clutch that was the problem, not the rest of the trans?

Wonder what a shop charges to R&R one.

Correct, the clutch plates and seal were the issues. From the dealer I think it's over $2000 for parts and labor if you can get parts but I'm not sure what retail price and DIY is but the process looks very similar to swapping out the clutch in a normal fwd manual trans - possibly easier with the fiesta because there's so much space in the engine bay.

Correct, the clutch plates and seal were the issues. From the dealer I think it's over $2000 for parts and labor if you can get parts but I'm not sure what retail price and DIY is but the process looks very similar to swapping out the clutch in a normal fwd manual trans - possibly easier with the fiesta because there's so much space in the engine bay.
Probably a third off at a shop then?

Just trying to keep perspective. Clutches are a wear item after all. Aggravation and one I don't want to deal with, but would I pass on a stickshift car just because the clutch *might* fail some day?

I still don't want the car, let's be clear.

I guess after a bit one gets good at it. Get it down to a couple hours and maybe it's a "trivial" job to do. 'cept for buying the reman. But I thought it was just the clutch that was the problem, not the rest of the trans?

Wonder what a shop charges to R&R one.
Correct, Ford had a novel idea of slapping automated external clutches on a manual trans and having a wonky computer take care of it all.

That is until the seals leaked gear oil on everything. I went in for an oil change and knew my second set was coming to an end right around 80k, especially after the mishifting during the winter. I thought it was just the clutches, turn out it's also a bearing inside the transmission that makes noise when the oil is cold.

The local Ford dealer got so good at swapping out clutches that they can turn the car around in few hours.

I wish I held onto the invoices but I threw them away the second we gave the car to Carvana. :ROFLMAO:

Probably a third off at a shop then?

Just trying to keep perspective. Clutches are a wear item after all. Aggravation and one I don't want to deal with, but would I pass on a stickshift car just because the clutch *might* fail some day?

I still don't want the car, let's be clear.

Yea, I'd shoot for probably $1300-1600 at an independent. I think the most worrying thing about the issue is the last there's usually no warning before it completely fails. So while you get the usual shudder, you may find yourself in the middle of an intersection or highway when it fails.

Got to test drive it. Seemed to shift ok? In some ways I could see why these DSG's took off, they shift pretty fast and avoid the rubber band torque convertor. Said 38mpg for the average mpg readout (and had an airbag light on).

Had the weirdest handling. I would turn the wheel--and it'd immediately turn. Very strange. I'm used to cars listing to the side instead. Very off putting, had to say no on that basis alone.

I only driven a 1st Gen Feisty...once. It was a customer's car. My only recollections are the commercials on TV, Ford calling it a "World Car".

Got to test drive it. Seemed to shift ok? In some ways I could see why these DSG's took off, they shift pretty fast and avoid the rubber band torque convertor. Said 38mpg for the average mpg readout (and had an airbag light on).

Had the weirdest handling. I would turn the wheel--and it'd immediately turn. Very strange. I'm used to cars listing to the side instead. Very off putting, had to say no on that basis alone.
The ST version was better than it's bigger brother Focus ST. It is literally a go-kart for adults, better handling, ride quality, use of power, you name it.

Yes the immediate turn in took some getting used too but ending up being fun. Now, changing a A/C condenser after your wife was the unlikely recipient of a pet rock on the highway, not as much fun.

IMG_20160609_081305_01.jpg
IMG_20160609_081305_02.jpg
IMG_20160609_081305_03.jpg
IMG_20160609_081305_04.jpg

So the steering was too good for your liking? No matter how confused I am by that reasoning, I agree with your choice to skip this vehicle those DPS6 transmissions are a terrible design.

I’d consider one if it just recently had the clutches and transmission control module replaced with Ford parts. Not because I think it would cure the issues but because then it’s gonna have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on the parts that I know will fail again. Maybe not within 2 years but eventually it will happen.

The funniest thing to me about those cars is that trying to take care of them only results on the clutches going out faster, due to the computer attempting a smoother shift. Grandma going to the store is gonna go through clutches way faster than her teenage grandson who thinks he’s the real life version of Dom Torreto, racing everyone with the audacity to pull beside him at a stoplight.

The ST version was better than it's bigger brother Focus ST. It is literally a go-kart for adults, better handling, ride quality, use of power, you name it.
+1
The best way to have fun with your clothes on!

The GF and I found a green one with the standard Recaro seats.
Despite feeling weary of it, we almost bought it pending a transmission "issue" from the dealership.
Long story short, the Ford dealer selling the car could never get the issue resolved in a timely manner, so I decided on a yellow MT Honda instead.

Despite missing the Recaro seats, that was the best decision ever.
The Fiesta ST doesn't age nearly as well as any Honda product!

The funniest thing to me about those cars is that trying to take care of them only results on the clutches going out faster, due to the computer attempting a smoother shift. Grandma going to the store is gonna go through clutches way faster than her teenage grandson who thinks he’s the real life version of Dom Torreto, racing everyone with the audacity to pull beside him at a stoplight.

I did notice this. It responded way better to flogging than sunday driving and even then it wasn't just banging the clutches but was just firm shifts.

The main issue was the TCM, if you know how to drop the tranny and put in new forks and clutch and replace the seal and get a hold of a new TCM from Ford, that car is a steal. The Focus is a bit better as it has a chain drive, less to replace.

At this point a Focus and Fiesta are good deals for skilled mechanics or those with one in the household.

Back