2011 Buick Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it, but I DON'T like that the base wheels are 18-inchers. Far too expensive for tire replacement for what is not an ultra-high-performance car.

On my buddies 260HP Turbo Cobalt, yeah, I can understand 18's, but on a mid-size with 182HP? Gimme a break!!!

Quote:
Introduced later in the model year, the CXL Turbo will be equipped with a 2.0L DOHC SIDI 4-cylinder ECOTEC engine (RPO LHU) producing 220 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. of torque, accompanied by a 6-speed automatic transmission with Driver Shift Control, or an available 6-speed manual transmission.

A manual transmission? In a Buick? Was that an error or are they getting serious about making dynamic cars?

I saw one out driving and it is a real nice looking car but a bit smallish.

It did interest me enough to look up on the web. The thing that interests me the most about the car beyond nice looking is it offers a 6 speed manual transmission. The turbo engine sounds nice too. Also the Buick name means nice depreciation for a slightly used one.

Maybe my first GM well really first domestic branded car.

I have only owned four cars in my 22 years driving

1982 Rabbit GTI, 1988 Jetta GLI 16v, 1995 Honda Civic(hated it), 2004 Subaru WRX

I'll believe it when I see it.... The General has a long history of nickle-nosing on engines i.e. "if you want the bigger engine ,you have to get an automatic" or " the bigger engine? oh you must order the luxury package with a bunch of crud to make the car heavier and slower " Just too cynical for my own good I guess

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I like it, but I DON'T like that the base wheels are 18-inchers. Far too expensive for tire replacement for what is not an ultra-high-performance car.

On my buddies 260HP Turbo Cobalt, yeah, I can understand 18's, but on a mid-size with 182HP? Gimme a break!!!

Not only too expensive, but they'll make the car ride like a buckboard on anything but perfect roads.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Not only too expensive, but they'll make the car ride like a buckboard on anything but perfect roads.

Depends on the suspension tuning. I've been in cars with rubber bands for tires that ride great on the roads up here (which I can only assume are worse than those in LA). The problem comes when they design a car for 75 series tires and then throw 30's on, more than just the act of less sidewall (although there is certainly no replacement for tall sidewalls).

What is that in 'Chevy' version?
Nevermind it's the Chevy Cruze,I'll check out the specs ,it looks nice.Question is it a throwaway?

Last edited:
"the CXL is equipped with a 2.4L DOHC SIDI 4-cylinder ECOTEC engine (RPO LAF) producing 182 horsepower and 172 lb.-ft. of torque, accompanied by a 6-speed automatic transmission with Driver Shift Control."

GM is going on the right track.

34.gif

FWD is a deal stopper for me.

If GM wants to sell me another car, it needs to be built by Holden.

Originally Posted By: flacoman
I'll believe it when I see it.... The General has a long history of nickle-nosing on engines i.e. "if you want the bigger engine ,you have to get an automatic" or " the bigger engine? oh you must order the luxury package with a bunch of crud to make the car heavier and slower " Just too cynical for my own good I guess

I see your point there. But even in the Cadillac CTS the 6spd manual is offered. We may see more manuals in the future if they can squeeze out some more mpg's.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

My CTS has 18" wheels and rides rather nice due to the suspension be tuned around these tires. But if you just go and replace a factory 15" or 16" wheel with a 18" wheel you will notice some ride quality loss because the vehicle was not made for it. I can only imagine what some of these Crown Vics I see riding around on 30" rims looking like 4x4's must ride like!

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Nevermind it's the Chevy Cruze,I'll check out the specs ,it looks nice.Question is it a throwaway?

Their is no chevy version of it. As it is built on the epsilon 2 platform which has only been used by Buick, Opel/vuavxall, and sabb so far. The closest chevy would have to it is the malibu which is built on the epsilon 1 platform.

I like it. I'd take it.

Originally Posted By: wapacz
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob

Their is no chevy version of it. As it is built on the epsilon 2 platform which has only been used by Buick, Opel/vuavxall, and sabb so far. The closest chevy would have to it is the malibu which is built on the epsilon 1 platform.

In other words, we should be able to compare the 2013 Chevy Malibu to the new regal, since when it is redesigned GM has said it will be on the Epsilon 2 platform.

Maybe my memory is failing but the engines characteristics are not that impressive:
- 2.4L DI engine producing 182hp and returning 20/30mpg? My Rogue is a 2.5L no DI engine produces 170 something hp and get the same FE (and it is a box/CUV). Is Hyundai 2.4L in the Sonata producing about 200hp and returning mid 30 mpg highway?
- 2L turbo producing 220hp? Is Hyundai 2L turbo in the Sonata producing about 270hp?

It writes that from memory so correct me if I am wrong, but I would expect a compact/midsize car, even a luxury one, to return at least mid 30 mpg highway fuel mileage.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Maybe my memory is failing but the engines characteristics are not that impressive:
- 2.4L DI engine producing 182hp and returning 20/30mpg? My Rogue is a 2.5L no DI engine produces 170 something hp and get the same FE (and it is a box/CUV). Is Hyundai 2.4L in the Sonata producing about 200hp and returning mid 30 mpg highway?
- 2L turbo producing 220hp? Is Hyundai 2L turbo in the Sonata producing about 270hp?

It writes that from memory so correct me if I am wrong, but I would expect a compact/midsize car, even a luxury one, to return at least mid 30 mpg highway fuel mileage.

DI doesn't really add much horsepower. And not all engines are created equal. The Ford 2.0L DOHC only makes 140HP, and the 2.5L Makes what, 169? 30mpg is pretty good and seems about right for this car. they didn't give it the fully tuned version of the Turbo 2L which is about 260HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back