2009 Pontiac Vibe, Big Block

Did they ever make a "big block" V8 that's 4.8L? ;)

It's cute, but I don't think an overly accurate label, lol.
I mean I could stuff a 5.3L LS4 or Volvo/Yamaha 4.4L V8, or Northstar 4.6L in there, since all have FWD transmissions already developed for them... But yea - severely inaccurate label, but is somewhat true, from the engine options available for that platform. Anything can be true, just gotta stretch it enough 😆

Had an '03 MATRIX base with the 1.8 Ltr . and 4 speed auto . Liked the lift up window in the hatch door .

Ok, it will be leaking again in a year. ;)

Just had a blue fel-pro gasket shrink and cause a massive oil leak after 3K.
Ironically, I think I need to do this job on an '09 Vibe with 2.4.

What do you recommend? And what's reasonable labor time? ‐‐ note: not your labor time 'cause I've seen you list everything you do in an hour and I'm pretty sure you're on speed or meth ;)

Ironically, I think I need to do this job on an '09 Vibe with 2.4.

What do you recommend? And what's reasonable labor time? ‐‐ note: not your labor time 'cause I've seen you list everything you do in an hour and I'm pretty sure you're on speed or meth ;)
Dealer gasket and amount of time needed to drink 2 beers.

Does the Vibe feel peppier with the 2AZ FE compared to the 1zz fe? Also, how’s the NVH in that Vibe compared to your prior Vibes?

My Corolla with the 1zz fe is louder than I’d like it to be - it’s got another 100k miles to get to the magical 299,999 mark.

The gen. 10 was the next replacement for my Corolla when rust kills it. But looks like that generation wasn’t quite as well bulletproof - I’m down a rabbit hole of 2ar fe head gasket threads on TN 😂

Does the Vibe feel peppier with the 2AZ FE compared to the 1zz fe? Also, how’s the NVH in that Vibe compared to your prior Vibes?

My Corolla with the 1zz fe is louder than I’d like it to be - it’s got another 100k miles to get to the magical 299,999 mark.

The gen. 10 was the next replacement for my Corolla when rust kills it. But looks like that generation wasn’t quite as well bulletproof - I’m down a rabbit hole of 2ar fe head gasket threads on TN 😂
- 2AZ Vibe/Matrix is A LOT peppier than 1ZZ.
- 2009 Vibe/Matrix 2AZ is also peppier and better on gas than 2009 Scion xB with same 2AZ engine. Because xB has 4-speed auto, while Vibe/Matrix has a 5-speed auto. I'm seeing 2mpg more in town, and 3-4mpg more on highway.

Since I owned all of these, here is an MPG comparison, city/highway.
- FWD 1ZZ/4AT 2003 Vibe delivered 28/36MPG.
- AWD 1ZZ/4AT 2008 Vibe delivered 26/32MPG.
- FWD 2AZ/4AT 2009 Scion xB delivered 22/28MPG.
- FWD 2AZ/5AT 2009 Vibe delivers 24/32MPG.

Did they ever make a "big block" V8 that's 4.8L? ;)

It's cute, but I don't think an overly accurate label, lol.
I suggest you steer clear of the Robot Cantina YouTube channel as Jimbo throws around terms like "big block" and "hemi" when talking about Harbor Freight engines.

He must be retired as he has time to fritter away on fitting 420cc HF engines in Saturn and Honda Insight rollers.

His current project is a Kubota 3 cylinder diesel in the Honda Insight.

But his terminology might make you wince...

I suggest you steer clear of the Robot Cantina YouTube channel as Jimbo throws around terms like "big block" and "hemi" when talking about Harbor Freight engines.

He must be retired as he has time to fritter away on fitting 420cc HF engines in Saturn and Honda Insight rollers.

His current project is a Kubota 3 cylinder diesel in the Honda Insight.

But his terminology might make you wince...
A man of culture, I see.

Back