2009 Lincoln MK S oil on the air filter.

Hey folks my wife has N/A 3.5 ford engine and I was changing the air filter on it and it was filthy. More importantly the air filter was covered in oil. Why does this happen and how do I fix it?

Probably a clogged pcv. When was the last time you cleaned or changed it.
Wifes car so I have no service history. So the PCV pukes oil into the filter intake side of air filter?
This was my grandpas car before and it was the worst diving conditions. Super short trip maybe once a month.

Wifes car so I have no service history. So the PCV pukes oil into the filter intake side of air filter?
This was my grandpas car before and it was the worst diving conditions. Super short trip maybe once a month.
Yeah it's a symptom. I'd do it.

Thanks I have some research to do. Seems like I will need to take off the air intake to get to it unless I am a guitarist with a very happy wife.

All n/a vehicles made in the last five decades have PCV systems which dump into the intake tract. Some upstream of the air filters, some downstream. But they all have it.

So yes, check the PCV valve. Just replace it, as cleaning them often only works for a much shorter time before getting stuck again.

Hey folks my wife has N/A 3.5 ford engine and I was changing the air filter on it and it was filthy. More importantly the air filter was covered in oil. Why does this happen and how do I fix it?
In addition to the PCV, the engine needs to breath. There usually is a breather filter in the airbox.

Back