2009 Honda Odyssey Extensive Tune-Up (200,000+ Miles)

You're one of the infamous mechanics they all talk about apparently. Your customers probably never heard of the muzzler either. Sad...
I really don't believe you even read that entire article...
I read the article. The camshaft pitting also has nothing to do with the vcm which is why I find it laughable. Replaced plenty or rear cams (the bank that doesn't even have vcm) when the front bank is fine. It happens on non-vcm engines too lol

...But you don't believe it fixes those issues???
I agree, specific cars may have ruined piston rings, but I believe a muzzler will reverse it on most vehicles.

Welp... I'll probably have it for a few months and drive it 24/7 so I don't know... At least I'll know I tried my best.
Keeping those 3 cyls active will not "unstick" rings.

Where are you located? The biggest issue with the muzzler is emissions - the vehicle will fail smog inspection in CA since it is not a CARB approved device.

Keeping those 3 cyls active will not "unstick" rings.

I know, but it will keep them from getting any worse.
I will be flushing the engine with BG EPR and Liqui Moly Engine Flush with a 3x oil change.
High mileage oil and BG MOA

Where are you located? The biggest issue with the muzzler is emissions - the vehicle will fail smog inspection in CA since it is not a CARB approved device.

They don't require smog checks here.

I will be flushing the engine with BG EPR and Liqui Moly Engine Flush with a 3x oil change.
You would probably be better off doing a piston soak as opposed to oil flushes. You need something to get into the rings and start working on the carbon over a period of time. Plus, with the flushes you run the risk of rinsing something out of that VCM valvetrain area and into the pickup, which wouldn't be great. A little bit of gunk up there won't hurt a thing. My TL has a really dirty top end from the PO doing by-the-book extended oil changes. I change the oil every 5k and leave it be. The car runs just as strong as it did when it was new, so there's no reason for me to disturb things up there unless I have to.

Filling the cylinders up with a solvent and letting it sit overnight or longer with the drain plug out of the pan and then doing a short-run oil change if something is going to work, is going to work better than something in the oil for a short-run.

Just remember - doing this stuff for experimentation is one thing, but to expect a buyer to pay you more money is probably a fallacy.

Just remember - doing this stuff for experimentation is one thing, but to expect a buyer to pay you more money is probably a fallacy.

Yep, if the guy I bought my TL from years ago told me there was XYZ boutique oil or fluids in it, I would have done the exact same thing when I got it home....change all the fluids/filters.

So, people that care, probably won't and will do their own thing, the other people, just won't care.

But, if you want to do it 'just because' or for the experience, can't fault you there.

If it is that bad and since you seem to like BG products, why not skip the EPR and do the BG dynamic engine flush.

b12 chemtool is the strongest over the counter solvent I've found, but oven cleaner is even better at destroying carbon. i wouldn't put oven cleaner in my engine though, and the b12 i would only use through the plug holes/intake, not through the oil.

I read the article. The camshaft pitting also has nothing to do with the vcm which is why I find it laughable. Replaced plenty or rear cams (the bank that doesn't even have vcm) when the front bank is fine. It happens on non-vcm engines too lol
Rear bank doesn't have VCM? Are you sure?

Nope... Read this article.
When VCM is active, it shuts off some of the cylinders and it sucks oil past the piston rings. You want to disable that and run it as a normal engine without ECO mode.

Depends on the generation of VCM.

On gen 3-
Eco mode does not turn vcm on and off, but remaps the gas pedal and gimps the compressor.
Gen 3 also does not suck oil past the rings, it disables the valves at BDC creating an air spring effect.

Depends on the generation of VCM.

On gen 3-
Eco mode does not turn vcm on and off, but remaps the gas pedal and gimps the compressor.
Gen 3 also does not suck oil past the rings, it disables the valves at BDC creating an air spring effect.
Do we know which models use Gen3?

i thought the rear bank and one cylinder on the front bank had vcm, and if I ever bought a vcm Honda i would get a muzzler. the 3rd gen vcm engines are better, but the air pressure will still gradually leak out of the cylinders and then oil can leak in. only if it stays on vcm for a long time

i thought the rear bank and one cylinder on the front bank had vcm, and if I ever bought a vcm Honda i would get a muzzler. the 3rd gen vcm engines are better, but the air pressure will still gradually leak out of the cylinders and then oil can leak in. only if it stays on vcm for a long time

There is a duration limit to 3rd gen VCM, it will bump on and off after a bit to compensate for leakage and differential cooling.

Interesting thread and curious to see how it goes.

My 09 Accord v6 has vcm but it’s been disabled since ~25k miles, currently at 61k. It doesn’t use any oil and runs like a clock, but I suspect it would’ve started using oil around this mileage without the vcm tuner. The J35 is a great engine without vcm

I'd replace the tensioner and idler pulleys when you do the timing belt. Are you going with an Aisin kit? Might want to do the serpentine belt too. (Get a Bando)
BANDO is a good brand but did not work for me- made a groaning noise until it warmed up. Put OE Honda on it and has been quiet ever since. It also appears thicker (last longer?)

Interesting thread and curious to see how it goes.

My 09 Accord v6 has vcm but it’s been disabled since ~25k miles, currently at 61k. It doesn’t use any oil and runs like a clock, but I suspect it would’ve started using oil around this mileage without the vcm tuner. The J35 is a great engine without vcm
Got a '08 EXL V6. No tuner, muzzler etc. No oil use, super smooth, been very reliable. I just keep an eye on the PCV and OCI 4-5k with Mobile 1 5-30. Gotta be careful reading/lurking on those forums. One or two ppl report a problem, 10000 ppl read it , add a comment that maybe relevant (or most likely not) and now its a huge problem. LOL

Last edited:
Back