2009 Ford Flex FWD, Mercon V or LV ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would seem to be straightforward, the owners manual says Mercon V and I know that V and LV should not be mixed....BUT the transmission dipstick cap shows LV !
confused.gif

Build date April 10 - April 16 2009. FWD SEL. The local dealer has done 2 fluid changes on the transmission ( I purchased the Ford Plan at delivery) now the car is outside of warranty, so next trans service will be done by yours truly. Transmission has been flawless, now at 119,200km.

What would you do? I will ask the dealer if they used V or LV, but is there anyway to tell what version is in there?

Thanks in advance,
Ken

How confusing. Can the dealer look up the fluid by vin?

Is there a good technical basis why v and lv cannot be mixed, or is it more CAFE driven? If the latter, I'd probably use the lv per the cap and not worry.

Yes. Its a 6F50/55, which according to the chart specs Mercon V for MY09. Its confusing to see that the OM says Mercon V, stick says LV.

Call up the dealer that did the service, and ask what they put in?

What's the build date of the vehicle/trans, maybe that'll split it.

I think there was a TSB or Service Campaign at some point to replace the trans dipstick with one that said LV. I remember selling a TON of those under warranty in the shop a few years ago, but the sales have slowed down to 1-2 a year now.

this convo intrigues me, as i have 2 of this same MY power train in the house(2009 Taurus Limited FWD,2009 Sable Premier FWD), both nearing 80,000 mi

-must keep an eye on this....

Last edited:
Hello KGMtech and everyone else,

FYI: I discovered clearance priced Valvoline MerconV (blue bottle) at AutoZone AND at Pep Boys.

Whether both stores are clearing it out or if Valvoline is changing things is something I do not know.

The point is if you conclude MerconV is the way to go then go buy all the 1/2 price MerconV you can.

I just did this for my friend's son who just bought a 2004 Ford Explorer which, at 51K, needs its trannie fluid and filter serviced. Kira

Be very careful with the Valvoline. It is no longer licensed by Ford and they can't call it Mercon V, so they resort to weasel words: it's now called "ATF for Mercon V Applications". Read the label carefully...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
From the FSM

"aEarly build vehicles require Mercon® V

bLate build vehicles require Mercon® LV"

And of course, no mention of the date split.

Is that specifically for the 2009MY? There vwas a switch in oil filters around the enging plant's 2008 holiday shutdown/ end of Vulcan production. Engines before (iirc)01/15/09 use an fl400s, engines after 01/16/19 use an fl500s.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
From the FSM

"aEarly build vehicles require Mercon® V

bLate build vehicles require Mercon® LV"

And of course, no mention of the date split.

Is that specifically for the 2009MY? There vwas a switch in oil filters around the enging plant's 2008 holiday shutdown/ end of Vulcan production. Engines before (iirc)01/15/09 use an fl400s, engines after 01/16/19 use an fl500s.

my Flex uses the FL500S oil filter...if that helps clarify the split date?

That was from the FSM for 2009 MY. Shoot me your VIN, or even last 8 if you would rather. This was around the time I stopped memorizing filter applications for the V6 engines as they all got mixed up.

I checked the service records for my wife's Flex, the Ford dealer shows they used LV fluid and 9 litres for each transmission service.

So I guess the owners manual just needs a marking up with a Bic to show the proper transmission fluid :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back