2008 Scion xB review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure I would write a mini review about my 2008 Scion xB (same as 2009, 2010 model years)... I bought this car brand new in 2007 about the time it was released to replace my 1998 Sunfire at the time (POS). I know many are looking for new car reviews, but some may appreciate it if they are looking at one possibly to buy used.

Overall, this car has been very reliable. No repair costs as of yet, just replacement tires thus far at 60,000 miles. I have had three dealership warranty fixes at no cost to me thus far:

1.) Steering wheel "popping" noise. They replaced something in the shaft and re-greased. Non-safety issue. Replaced under warranty.

2.) The front plastic cowl that sits at the bottom of the windshield was replaced, as it seemed to bend or something (plastic) and not fit as it normally should. They replaced it, but the new part ended up the same way. Almost like the cowl is undersized by a half inch or so. Hard to explain, but just a cosmetic issue.

3.) A week after I had my car the passenger side seat belt jammed in the track. Quick and easy fix, under warranty.

Those have been my only issues… Nothing worthwhile.

Mileage has been pretty good for me… The EPA states 22 city and 28 highway… For me, highway alone has averaged me around 29-32MPG, mixed driving around 26-27 MPG and about 23-24 city driving. Not shabby at all for a car this size.

The interior space is the best part about this car, like it was made for me! I am 6’6” and have a ton of room inside. I still have a solid 4-5” of clearance over my head, compared to most vehicles. People are always surprised getting into my car, saying how much room it really has inside… They say it looks much smaller on the outside. As far as the HVAC goes, the A/C is amazing. It really gets icy and cools the cabin very well. Heating is the same, I have no problem in winter making it nice and cozy. Very happy with the climate control over the years.

Quality of the car to me, is quite good. It is a “budget” car, and for the size I honestly feel you cannot beat the price. Interior is mostly plastic, which could be somewhat better. My only gripe is with the switches for the windows, which may rattle. The car has developed some noises, but seem to come and go. In general the ride is fairly quiet, but not the most road-noise friendly.

Ride quality I can barley comment on… Since I have lowered the car, added sway and strut bars and lower profile tires… So my ride is quite planted, fun to drive… But rougher. Very predictable for a car this size. Fun drive! If I remember correctly, stock the car does have some decent body roll and such, with a smooth ride.

In winter, the car is incredible with my snow tires. Traction is excellent. Has the ability to disengage VSC and Traction Control if need be, which is nice. Love this car in the snow, but I assume the tires make up 85% of that trait. (General Arctics).

Overall I have been very happy with how this car has treated me… Hopefully it will continue to be trouble-free and easily take me to 100,000+! (no doubt in my mind!).

Not bad gas mileage for the auto . Being boxy . We test drove an '09 and enjoyed the ride and the room. You can pick up a new XB with the manual tranny for under $16,000 . Can't go wrong at that price . Wish they'd make this as a hybrid , like that of the CAMRY . Same powertrain .

Last edited:
I had an 08XB for a couple of years! I sold it in 2010 making a one year personal commitment to go car free. It has been 13 months and I just bought a 2011 Golf TDI.

The XB is a great car. Lots of interior room, but yes, a lot of cheap plastic. MPG wise had similar numbers to your A/T (I had 5 speed manual). The XB would benefit range wise from a 14-15 gallon tank however. Never had any problems with it, but did replace the tires at 35k.

I lowered mine as well, added sway bar and strut bar, and kept it on stock size wheels and tire. Rode rough, but way more fun to drive vs. stock!

Sold it for $12k cash with 45k miles on it.

Mileage is better than I thought it would be. Nice review
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back