2008 Honda Odyssey oil and filter?

What I can't figure out is that when I sent used oil sample with 5000 miles on Mobil 1 5w-20 on the clock to Blackstone Labs on 6/7/11, I mentioned the vehicle sees lots of short trip when I sent my UOA in.

They said,

"Thanks for the note on the type of use your engine sees. As you know, that can be a factor in the type of wear your engine produces. Still, we're glad to see that the short trips and the 5,000 miles on the oil hasn't hurt a thing in your Honda's engine. Universal averages are based on about 6,000 miles, and your engine's wear looks just fine in comparison. The TBN read 3.2, showing active additive left, and no harmful contaminants like fuel, water, coolant, or excessive dirt was found. Run your next fill out to 7,000 miles and check back to monitor wear."

Thank you for that info... Source?
It's been awhile since I was interested in the J35A7, sorry. It's not like you can swap the Accord programming in anyways, so the best choice is to get a Muzzler device, set it properly if it's an adjustable one, and drive on. The inherent design of the mechanicals is solid as long as you're not deactivating the cylinders and causing it to glaze the cylinder bores. Plus disabling the i-VTEC also gives you a better shot of saving the active motor mounts for a longer period of time.

I think I read years ago the VCM setup in the Honda Odyssey results in 18% better fuel economy that the Toyota equivalent (Sienna?)
I don't know about the Sienna, but I did do before and after tests on the Odyssey with a VCMTuner. Hand calculated on a drive from Phoenix AZ to Indiana with the i-VTEC on resulted in a 26.3mpg average. After disabling it, the van then averaged about a 26.1 average over the next 50k miles of my ownership. Not sure if this is more indicative of my driving prowess, or that the deactivated cylinder mode wasn't quite as effective as advertised. But then again, a sample size of one is not a super-solid leg to stand on in scientific terms.

I'm going to start doing oil changes on a friend's Odyssey. I know it takes 4.2 qts of 0w-20. They usually take it to a quick lube place for whatever synthetic oil they get. The van is used for around town plus family trips. I would guess 10k miles a year. I do a yearly oil change on one of their other cars (a Ford Focus) and would like to do the same with the van. Thoughts on a good oil to accomplish this? Thinking that I would use a Fram XG for the filter.

**Edit. I do happen to have a fair amount of PPHM 5w-30. What about using that?

I own the same vehicle and found it they do not like 10k intervals, at least mine didn't. After an oil change it would not use oil for 1k, then use half a quart, top it off then at 3k it would go through another half quart, than at 5k it went up to 1 quart. Due to this behavior I went with changing it at 50% on the OLM or 5k change it with a little thicker 5w-20 or a thin 5w-30. I've run Mobile One EP 5w-20, PP and PUP 5w-20 or 5w-30, Valvoline Advanced 5w-30 and maxlife HM, Castrol Magnatec 5w-20, quaker state ultimate durability 0w-20, my current fill is a 50/50 mix of 0w-20 redline and 10w-30 redline which is giving good results; no oil usage in the first 1.5 k of the oil change. If you're not seeing any oil usage and doing 5k changes Valvoline is a good deal or quaker state ultimate durability, in truth though any of the major brands will do, just keep an eye on the oil usage weekly and keep it topped off. Also every two years have transmission fluid changed, you'll be very happy you did since they are known to have unreliable transmissions if not changed regularly. Good van though, been to a lot of fun places and it never has complained.

It's been awhile since I was interested in the J35A7, sorry. It's not like you can swap the Accord programming in anyways, so the best choice is to get a Muzzler device, set it properly if it's an adjustable one, and drive on. The inherent design of the mechanicals is solid as long as you're not deactivating the cylinders and causing it to glaze the cylinder bores. Plus disabling the i-VTEC also gives you a better shot of saving the active motor mounts for a longer period of time.
Do you recall if the Odyssey VCM II setup gave more problems than it did in the Accord version?

I don't know about the Sienna, but I did do before and after tests on the Odyssey with a VCMTuner. Hand calculated on a drive from Phoenix AZ to Indiana with the i-VTEC on resulted in a 26.3mpg average. After disabling it, the van then averaged about a 26.1 average over the next 50k miles of my ownership. Not sure if this is more indicative of my driving prowess, or that the deactivated cylinder mode wasn't quite as effective as advertised. But then again, a sample size of one is not a super-solid leg to stand on in scientific terms.
Is your Odyssey equipped with the VCM I or II (2008+)? If it's VCM I, then its 3-6; if VCM II it's 3-4-6. That car is heavy so it probably stays in 6 cyl mode most of the time anyway, given the way most ppl drive. Turning off the VCM would make no difference since its already in 6 cyl mode. If VCM II, it may select 4 cyl mode and return the claimed better mpg.

Zfast- thank you for your informative posts. I am puzzled by your(and by some others) reported problems with that VCM V-6 equipped Odyssey. I have an 08 Accord ELX-V6 with about 100K and have experienced zero problems that engine or motor mounts (or anything else). Car still drives like new. Checking under the VC shows it to be spotless and all spark plugs with slight tan deposits. I have been a fanatic in keeping that PCV valve clean, cleaning it every 10K and replacing it at 30K. Perhaps that is the key? Gonna keep this car until I can buy an EV. No more gas for me. Good luck reaching 2025.
Had no problem with my VCM equipped Odyssey until 135,000 miles. Now
all kinds of oil leak/ consumption issues

My friend has an 01 (not sure how different it is from yours),it says 5W30 on the oil fill cap. Has almost 300K on it. Runs like a dream. She puts 10W30 in it.

My friend has an 01 (not sure how different it is from yours),it says 5W30 on the oil fill cap. Has almost 300K on it. Runs like a dream. She puts 10W30 in it.
No VCM on those years, the trans was the weak link on that generation. The engine would run forever.

I recently installed a S-VCM on my 07 pilot fwd with 173k. Interested to see how it does now. VCM was annoying at a minimum. Front valve cover was pretty nasty when I did the valve adjustment recently, considering the maintenance shown on CARFAX and whatnot. I’m running Kirkland 0w20 this round even though it calls for 5w20 on the cap. I don’t know what was in it before. I generally run a full synthetic high mileage oil in the manufacturer spec viscosity in my vehicles. Rotella 15w40 in the 69 Ford and t6 5w4 in the bike though. I need this thing to last as a family car so I’m hoping the trans flush with valvoline maxlife synthetic and the addition of a trans cooler should help.
FD6D231C-ADB9-42A6-8C38-12AE4D73B42E.jpeg

Back