2008 Dodge 1500, 5.7 Hemi recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so here it is. i finally convinced my dad to use synthetics. he has 2008 dodge with a hemi, 12200 miles on the clock. My brother and i are mobil 1 users, heres the problem, dad bought the lifetime warrenty, i asked a tech at the dealer, he said keep it at 3000 oci, i would like to do 6000oci, obviously i dont see a reason in using mobil 1 unless on sale, any other ideas, oh and it requires 5w-20 motor oil, which is the reason i want synthetic in it.

i am sure the owner's manual would have a normal service OCI of at least 5000 miles if not 7500. so depending on how your father drives, mobil 1 should be fine for a longer OCI than 3000. the dealer tech is talking through his backside. if you stick to the owner's manual the dealership does not have a leg to stand on.

Amsoil makes a 0w20 that will last the longest drain interval recommended in your owners manual not from the dealer.
Mobil1 is good oil, looks like the tech dont think it is any good past 3000 miles. Tech is all about money not service.
Amsoil 0w20 will last a minimum 15,000 miles and will keep your warranty viable.

good point at least auto dealer techs
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lazaro
Amsoil makes a 0w20 that will last the longest drain interval recommended in your owners manual not from the dealer.
Mobil1 is good oil, looks like the tech dont think it is any good past 3000 miles. Tech is all about money not service.
Amsoil 0w20 will last a minimum 15,000 miles and will keep your warranty viable.

Excuse me, but I don't believe the Amsoil 0W-20 is API certified, and therefore will not comply with warranty requirements. It is a very good oil, and Amsoil may warranty your engine, but if the manufacturer or warranty company finds out they may try to use that as a reason to deny a warranty claim.

ya i kinda figured, plus the only way to get amsoil here is to special order it from the website, the closest place to carry it is about 200 miles away.

Originally Posted By: Petrou
... i asked a tech at the dealer, he said keep it at 3000 oci ...

Check the manufacturer specs, not the dealer. The dealer is a independent company that is not owned by the manufacturer. There is absolutely no reason for an OCI of 3000 with a decent synthetic.

it says every 6000, but there is also and OLM on the truck that has been going off every 2000-2500 miles, mainly due to stop and go

Originally Posted By: Mark888

Excuse me, but I don't believe the Amsoil 0W-20 is API certified, and therefore will not comply with warranty requirements. It is a very good oil, and Amsoil may warranty your engine, but if the manufacturer or warranty company finds out they may try to use that as a reason to deny a warranty claim.

Virtually all automobile manufacturers warrant their vehicles
to remain free of defect in manufacture or workmanship
for a certain mileage or time period. Whether an
automaker will honor a warranty claim depends on the
vehicle owner providing proper maintenance for the vehicle.
For this reason, it is important for vehicle owners to
maintain maintenance records. Proper maintenance
includes installing appropriate oil and filters.
Automakers cannot deny warranty claims solely on
the basis of using synthetic motor oil, and they cannot
specify a certain oil brand to be used in their vehicles.
Instead, they require the oil meets the appropriate API performance
classification and SAE viscosity grade specified
in the owner’s manual.
“Installation or the use of special materials does
not, in and of itself, void the New Vehicle Limited
Warranties.”
Service and Parts Operations,
Chrysler Corporation
Many high performance vehicles are factory filled with
synthetic motor oils and the manufacturers encourage continued
use of synthetic motor oils in order to achieve
maximum performance, including Cadillac, Chevrolet
Corvette and Dodge Viper. Many other automobile manufacturers
neither recommend or discourage the use of
synthetic motor oils, requiring only that the oil meets a certain
viscosity grade and performance classification.
Automakers may not void warranties based solely on
an owner’s practice of extending oil drain intervals.
Dealership personnel and district managers may be
unaware of the serviceability of synthetic oils over an
extended period, but they may not summarily dismiss a
warranty claim based on the owner’s practice of changing
oil at extended intervals. To do so does not disprove
a defect in manufacture or workmanship as the immediate
cause of failure. Vehicle owners may appeal to a factory
representative if the dealership and district manager
do not satisfactorily settle the warranty claim. Factory
representatives appreciate the value of used oil analysis
and do consider preventive maintenance oil analysis
reports in their evaluations of warranty claims, while postfailure
oil analysis is critically important to the disposition
of a warranty claim. Their findings pull more weight than
the opinions of dealerships or district managers.
Quote:
"If engine damage otherwise covered by warranty
was found to be unrelated to the engine lubricant,
then the consumer’s practice with regard to oil
change intervals would not be a relevant consideration,
and the warranty claim would be honored.”
Fuels and Lubricants Division,
General Motors Research Laboratories

Last edited:
Hey Petrou, AUTOWASHES are for employees only!!! (jk) And you should check out "Parts Plus" off of Russell St., Amsoil seems to be highly recommended on site, although costly.

The above post by lazaro is double-speak. An API certified synthetic oil, or any API certified oil that meets the manufacturer specs, will not void the warranty. The stuff about manufacturers not "recommending" synthetic is misleading. The only recommendation from a manufacturer against using synthetic is for the Mazda rotary engine. None of the others have any problem if you use a synthetic oil (or any oil), so long as it meets all of the necessary certifications that they specify for the vehicle.

But if you use an oil that is not API certified or does not meet other certification specs required by the vehicle manufacturer, then the manufacturer can legally void the warranty if the failure is oil related. The problem is they might claim it is oil related, even if it is not, and you are just inviting a big hassle. Amsoil says they will warrant the engine for you because it is not certified, but with so many other certified oils available, why take a chance on a vehicle that is still under warranty?

Quote:
"If engine damage otherwise covered by warranty was found to be unrelated to the engine lubricant, then the consumer’s practice with regard to oil change intervals would not be a relevant consideration, and the warranty claim would be honored.”

Notice they say "with regard to oil change intervals" and they do not say "with regard to using oil certified by the manufacturer."

The above post by lazaro is double-speak. An API certified synthetic oil, or any API certified oil that meets the manufacturer specs, will not void the warranty. The stuff about manufacturers not "recommending" synthetic is misleading. The only recommendation from a manufacturer against using synthetic is for the Mazda rotary engine. None of the others have any problem if you use a synthetic oil (or any oil), so long as it meets all of the necessary certifications that they specify for the vehicle.

But if you use an oil that is not API certified or does not meet other certification specs required by the vehicle manufacturer, then the manufacturer can legally void the warranty if the failure is oil related. The problem is they might claim it is oil related, even if it is not, and you are just inviting a big hassle. Amsoil says they will warrant the engine for you because it is not certified, but with so many other certified oils available, why take a chance on a vehicle that is still under warranty?

PLEASE POST UP SPECIFIC LITERATURE! to validate your misinformation SCARE TACTIC

Originally Posted By: ZR2grizz
Hey Petrou, AUTOWASHES are for employees only!!! (jk) And you should check out "Parts Plus" off of Russell St., Amsoil seems to be highly recommended on site, although costly.

i never thought of there, ill take a look, do they have other synthetics for good cost or wally world. hey the truck was dirty and needed to be cleaned, plus i never really used the autowash just the spray gun there
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
"If engine damage otherwise covered by warranty was found to be unrelated to the engine lubricant, then the consumer’s practice with regard to oil change intervals would not be a relevant consideration, and the warranty claim would be honored.”

Notice they say "with regard to oil change intervals" and they do not say "with regard to using oil certified by the manufacturer."

The quote below sums up your opinion
Quote:
while postfailure
oil analysis is critically important to the disposition
of a warranty claim. Their findings pull more weight than
the opinions of dealerships or district managers.

Part Plus is a little on the spendy side, I went in there once looking for RP gear oil, but as far as motor oil I think (cant remember) they carry Amsoil, Schaeffers, Lucas and possibly others including a store brand. But...just like the rest of the country, sadly, its hard to beat WM's prices.

PLEASE POST UP SPECIFIC LITERATURE! to validate your misinformation SCARE TACTIC

It's not a scare tactic, and I don't direct it against just Amsoil. I told people in other threads to use certified oil (check the thread on VW 502). In that thread I warned several times about recommendations for using SynPower oils that were not VW 502 certified (and I pointed out that Valvoline SynPower has a "ST" version that is VW 502 certified).

I don't know why people think they can find something "better" that is not even certified, however it is certainly fine if a oil says their product exceeds the required certification.

Amsoil itself says that they will warrant your engine for any oil related failure not covered because their oil is not certified. Here are some provisions from their website:

e. In cases where the OEM warranty is still in effect and that warranty coverage is denied based on the use of an AMSOIL lubricant, the customer shall immediately notify AMSOIL INC. and provide a written copy of the OEM warranty denial.
f. AMSOIL INC. may, at its option, notify its insurance carrier of the claim.
g. AMSOIL INC. or its insurance carrier may conduct an investigation that includes, but is not limited to, an
inspection of the failed parts, a review of the operating conditions, and a thorough review of the information
requested above. The customer agrees to cooperate with such investigation.
h. If AMSOIL INC. or its insurance carrier pays a claim, an attempt may be made to recover amounts paid
from the OEM. If this occurs, the customer may be asked to provide further information pertaining to the
failure and to cooperate with AMSOIL INC. or its insurer in the recovery process.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1363.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back