2008 Chev Malibu 2.4 stumbling/stalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you can run the engine with the MAF unplugged, if it runs better than with it plugged in you possibly have a bad MAF. On some cars with the MAF mounted in the throttle body many are killed with throttle body/carb cleaner when people clean the throttle body.
Remove this type before cleaning.

I had a 2008 Malibu 2.4 that ran terribly and the fuel trims were pegged out at +25%. A review of the live data showed the IAT readings to be completely erroneous; the IAT and the MAF are one unit on those cars. Replacing the MAF corrected my erroneous IAT reading and fuel trims.

Originally Posted by Trav
No, you can run the engine with the MAF unplugged, if it runs better than with it plugged in you possibly have a bad MAF. On some cars with the MAF mounted in the throttle body many are killed with throttle body/carb cleaner when people clean the throttle body.
Remove this type before cleaning.

I am hopefully going to try it when the car acts up but since I think this is a moisture problem somewhere I am not anticipating this will show me anything.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I had a 2008 Malibu 2.4 that ran terribly and the fuel trims were pegged out at +25%. A review of the live data showed the IAT readings to be completely erroneous; the IAT and the MAF are one unit on those cars. Replacing the MAF corrected my erroneous IAT reading and fuel trims.

That is something that hasn't been checked so I guess that could be a possibility?

Originally Posted by Trav
The Baro sensor is incorporated into some also, I had a Ford that thought it was at 10K feet sitting at Boston harbor with the sea only feet away.

OP a new Hitachi sensor is only $28 from Rock and is the actual OE part. HITACHI MAF0034, not a lot of wood even if you keep one for future testing.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3020331&cc=1441621&jsn=455

I priced one on Sunday at Parts Source when I originally thought I had found my problem and was shocked when the guy told me it was $167 dollars!
crazy.gif

He did say, however, if I returned the old one/core within 48 hrs, I would get the $67 dollars back.
I never priced out an actual OE one but I bet it is cheaper and likely of better quality?

Thanks again for the info guys.
cheers3.gif

On GM vehicles with a 5-pin MAF........You un-pin the Yellow wire (MAF Signal Circuit) out of the MAF connector, Then plug the MAF connector back in.
The IAT sensor is incorporated into the MAF & needs to function as there is no good back-up strategy for erroneous IAT input.

Let P0101/P0102 set.....The engine will now run in Speed Density Mode, DO NOT clear the codes!!!

It's pretty straight forward......Unplug the connector, Pry off the Purple retainer, Remove the 2-tab lock on the back of the connector, Then lift-up the small plastic tab that retains the terminal in the connector....Then pull the wire/terminal out.

However.....Generally, There will be telltale signs of faulty/intermittent MAF readings, Like High/Low fuel trims!!

[Linked Image]

GM 2.4s are notorious for failed vvt actuators also. When they go bad they do the same you're describing. First, check the oil level - if it's low they won't work right, if level is fine then most likely the actuator(s) are bad. They're cheap at the dealer - shop cost is like $35

Originally Posted by clinebarger
On GM vehicles with a 5-pin MAF........You un-pin the Yellow wire (MAF Signal Circuit) out of the MAF connector, Then plug the MAF connector back in.
The IAT sensor is incorporated into the MAF & needs to function as there is no good back-up strategy for erroneous IAT input.

Let P0101/P0102 set.....The engine will now run in Speed Density Mode, DO NOT clear the codes!!!

It's pretty straight forward......Unplug the connector, Pry off the Purple retainer, Remove the 2-tab lock on the back of the connector, Then lift-up the small plastic tab that retains the terminal in the connector....Then pull the wire/terminal out.

However.....Generally, There will be telltale signs of faulty/intermittent MAF readings, Like High/Low fuel trims!!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by The_Eric
GM 2.4s are notorious for failed vvt actuators also. When they go bad they do the same you're describing. First, check the oil level - if it's low they won't work right, if level is fine then most likely the actuator(s) are bad. They're cheap at the dealer - shop cost is like $35

Sorry for the late reply guys.

Touch wood but so far, after a few rains and car washes, the car has not acted up???

I have done nothing to it other than what I have mentioned previously. My son took my truck a few times to work a couple weeks ago when it rained or was raining out and when I took his car for some 10-15 minute drives or longer, I could not get it to stumble or stall.

I am not writing anything off just yet but maybe, just maybe, it was an anomoloy or something that somehow cleared itself up? Here's to wishful thinking anyways!!
grin2.gif

I appreciate all the help/info that was provided.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back