2007 Subaru OBS auto trans. service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Alldata DIY for all the cars I maintain, but with my Subaru 2007 Impreza Outback Sport there have been changes and now a lot of conflicting information. For example, under cooling system service it said ad Subaru coolant conditioner, but the dealer told me that is for previous model years.
Anyway I changed the trans. with Subaru ATF @19K, 3.75 qts. drain and refill. At that time the dealer I was getting supplies from said don't bother with the filter to 90-100K mi. The normal service table back then suggested ATF change @30K. Now the normal service table just says inspect the fluid while the severe says change every 15K mi. Also now under procedure it says to drop the pan and change the strainer/filter, which has been revised with a new design using different length bolts and different torquing directions. Alldata lists the part # which I located on ebay and that sellers fitment checker says that part does not even fit my car. I asked a dealer parts person at another dealer about the strainer filter and he said he knows nothing about that, but said I should be changing the spin-on filter every time I change the fluid.
Does anyone know what I should be doing with this transmission? Again it was dumped and refilled @19K and now has about 38K.

I would be using the factory coolant "stopleak" additive with that model.

I would do the spin on trans.filter with OEM filter only.

and not worry about the other.

Fluid changes at 15k for very severe service.. more like 30k for normal use. Should be fine.

Last edited:
Here's what I did on our 2003, and this insured a 150K mile run on it. would have gone longer, but the vehicle got rear ended and totaled.

I did ATF drain and fills every 30K. Subaru specs at the time called for Dexron III, so the cost of refill was small. Changing spin on filter optional because Subaru did not even recommend changing it unless the transmission was going to be worked on. My auto trans worked as well at 150K as it did new. I was considering changing the spin on filter, but hadn't gotten to it to change out when the vehicle was wrecked.

Coolant change very 30K or two years, and that worked very well. I did use the Subaru coolant conditioner as recommended because of the potential head gasket issue for 2003 model year.

Hope this provides a little additional insight.

Last edited:
I have a new OEM spin-on on way with 5 qts. of the subaru ATF. I will drain and fill leaving the pan on. Anyone know the exact amount of fluid it takes when changing the filter? W/O filter it was exactly 3.75 qts. I'm guessing 4 is going to be really close.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rob6773
I have a new OEM spin-on on way with 5 qts. of the subaru ATF. I will drain and fill leaving the pan on. Anyone know the exact amount of fluid it takes when changing the filter? W/O filter it was exactly 3.75 qts. I'm guessing 4 is going to be really close.

Does the filter allow you to fill it with ATF before you screw it on the car? If so, fill up the filter, and the add 3.75 qt.

In 2007 the headgasket issue should be well fixed I wouldn't bother with the stop leak tabs.

I am going to do this real soon actually. Instead of the dealer fluid I am going to give Valvoline a tray, maybe Amsoil. Dealer filter of course though.

The amount of unlocking/locking it does with the tq convertor I bet the fluid isn't pretty.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I would be using the factory coolant "stopleak" additive with that model.

I would do the spin on trans.filter with OEM filter only.

and not worry about the other.

Fluid changes at 15k for very severe service.. more like 30k for normal use. Should be fine.

+1.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
In 2007 the headgasket issue should be well fixed I wouldn't bother with the stop leak tabs.

Unfortunately, not true. My friend's 07 OB wagon needed new HG's at 48k miles. Use only Subie OEM coolant and definitely add the conditioner.

The reason I used the sealant is since the car was new it has made an anti-freeze like smell, only after long rides, only noticeable from outside the car. I searched for leaks many times and so did two different Suby dealers. That pushed me to use the Subaru conditioner.

I think I should call or email Alldata to tell them that since they have doing updates and changes there is a lot of wrong info. I have acounts for a lot of different cars and the Subaru so far is the only one with so much bad info.

This time around I am going to change the filter and use Subaru fluid. I think I am going to go annual changes (I do between 12-15K a year) using Subaru fluid and change the filter every other year.

Yesterday I sent an email to Alldata listing the info. in their system that may not be accurate.

Did the change Saturday. Takes 4 quarts with the filter change. The Subaru fluid is a little dark out of the bottle. The fluid that came out was pretty dark.

Alldata referred me back to a TSB which I had already read. Anyway they claim all info is direct from manufacturer.
Also I am going to do the change on my '09 Ody soon and Alldata has the same sort of probem, they list a filter part # that when I went online to look at shows for an older ody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back