2006 Nissan Quest V-6 Knock on start up after setting for a week

Hi,
On the above vehicle with 143,000 miles, it has a loud knock on startup. It goes away after a minute or less.
I recently changed oil from Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter to Havoline 10W30 conventional oil with a
Fram PH6607 oil filter. It was knocking before the oil change also.

Should I try some kind of additive or a different oil to reduce the knocking or forget it?

Thanks for any answers.

I would GOOGLE 2006 Nissan V6 knock on startup and see what comes up.
Are you the original owner?
What are the OCI?

Try a different filter. Give the Purolator Boss or Napa Platinum a run. Don't need to change the oil. Just swap filters, top off, and monitor the startup knock over a few weeks.

I would also inspect for sludge. Nothing in a bottle can fix a worn out or broken engine.

You do check the oil level often enough and top off as needed?

If the filter doesn't change the 'startup knock frequency', then try a 5w40 or 0w40 oil at your next interval.

I’ve never been a filter can cause noise guy, but try a Nissan dealership oem filter next oil change.

A 17yr/old VQ35 w/ a 7500mi oil change interval and ~140K on the clock likely has some timing chain slap going on at this point. Worn guides, tensioner, etc.
Yeah, OCI too high, especially for this mileage, not sure there is going to be much you can do here - you also changed to a conventional oil, which makes it worse (but i know those engines like conventional but you gotta do 3k OCI.)

Chances are you've got crap being cleaned and knocked loose, having never driven it enough previously, it's now getting *properly* hot and running and things will start to clean. Again, you can't change the oil like that, you gotta do it far more often and i wouldn't be surprised if you needed a sooner change for this one as things clean up.

The reason for 7500 mile OCI is that I was using Amsoil 5W30 that was supposed to be good for 25K miles or 1 year. The noise just started last summer.

I don't care what the oil states, can't go that long, and this engine if it's similar to the VQ350's engine, is very basic, doesn't even run well with synthetic oil in it, needs frequent changes.

Oil might have the additives to last that long, but if it gets full of soot and anything else that doesn't get filtered, and relies on the oil to suspend, it'll turn to crap in no time.

A 17yr/old VQ35 w/ a 7500mi oil change interval and ~140K on the clock likely has some timing chain slap going on at this point. Worn guides, tensioner, etc.

I agree too. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

On my Nissan Altima VQ I went typically 5,000 to 5,500 miles for the first 100k miles then cut it down to 4k miles. After 215,000 miles I cut it down to 3k miles.

My car's VQ 3.5 motor ran great at 365,400 miles until the og CVT went out on it.

I still am thinking that darn CVT had coolant get into the system. I checked the level at my mom's house and it was almost a 1/2 above the hash mark on the dipstick. It had never ever been that high before. And I had checked my transmission fluid in that exact same area where I parked before at my mom's house too.

If it lasts like 10 seconds - could be ADBV in the filter not working.

If its a loud tick that lasts like 30 - 60 seconds, could be solid lifter a little worn and ticks until it warms a little

If its more of a loud rattle - could be timing chain slap. because of the way the chains on the VQ route they can certainly slap, but it sounds more like a rattle because there is very little space where it can be loose and not bounce off a guide or something.

Better description might be helpful.

140K, original owner VQ is hardly broken in. The VQ engines are stout.

Reactions: JTK
I agree too. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

On my Nissan Altima VQ I went typically 5,000 to 5,500 miles for the first 100k miles then cut it down to 4k miles. After 215,000 miles I cut it down to 3k miles.

My car's VQ 3.5 motor ran great at 365,400 miles until the og CVT went out on it.

I still am thinking that darn CVT had coolant get into the system. I checked the level at my mom's house and it was almost a 1/2 above the hash mark on the dipstick. It had never ever been that high before. And I had checked my transmission fluid in that exact same area where I parked before at my mom's house too.

I didn't know it gave up the ghost!! It had a good run. ~365K miles is amazing for any automatic.

I know over the years, I've used your Altima/CVT as a high mileage example on other boards with CVT discussions.

Did the infamous valve train tick become apparent with the OHC engines? I've never heard an old school engine tick upon startup.

Did the infamous valve train tick become apparent with the OHC engines? I've never heard an old school engine tick upon startup.
Not sure if its common, but with the VQ40 at least some have a tick on startup - its a common complaint. They use solid lifters with the OHC's and Nissans solution is you can order slightly different size lifters, so if you have a tick you can pull the cams and replace the lifters with the wrong lash. No one ever does. The tick usually goes away once the engine is warm anyway.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. Just to update this post.
I have run the Quest van several times in the past week and have not had any more knocking on start up. The Havoline 10W30 oil seems to be better for this engine than the previous change of Pennzoil High Mileage Platinum Plus 5W30 oil. I ran the Pennzoil oil for 5000 miles, changed to the Havoline 10W30 Conventional and the engine is quieter with no more knocking.

A friend had one on a Maxima and it had a bad knock on start up that we think was a timing chain tensioner.
Yes they are stout. A relative had one in another Maxima. They asked me to check it because the oil light was on. Oil was low; put 1 in still low, put another in still low then I look underneath and oil is running out the pan! They must have driven over a sharp object & punctured the pan! No oil in it & they drive it home. We had the pan replaced & it was fine!

Back