2006 Buick CX Lacrosse 3.8l - Preventive Maintenan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mk378
My friend has the same car. So far it has undergone practically no maintenance for a lot more miles. The only breakdown has been a coolant elbow.

Yes , I had read about the elbows on the internet . Wanted to be proactive and install the metal elbows .

Do not wish to be stranded out in the middle of no where ! :-(

Well , I got the Buick mostly put back together . New thermostat / gasket in place .

Checked engine air filter , OK , did not end up replacing it . Serpentine belt , no cracking , did not replace it .

Purchased a new PCV Valve , have not replaced the old one yet .

Had a heck of a time re-installing the serpentine belt . I think all of my other cars that had the serpentine belt had a drawing / sticker some where under the hood . No where to be found on the Buick . :-(

Worked with it , came inside and looked on the internet . Repeated numerous times . :-(

Rout the belt one way , it was too long . Route it another way and it was too short . Made worse due to it being several days since I took it off .

The idler pulley is attached to the spring arm with a reverse / left hand thread bolt with a 15mm hex head . I had a short / standard length 3/8" drive 15mm socket . However my 3/8" ratchet was too short to supply sufficient leverage . I rounded up my long handle 1/2" drive ratchet , but could not locate a short / standard length 15mm 1/2" drive socket .

Time out for a trip to Harbor Freight . Finally got the belt routed correctly , with enough leverage on the idler pulley , got the belt on ! Praise the Lord !

Do not have coolant in the system . Hope my new heater hoses arrive early this week . Then will fill the system with new coolant . I read the 3.8l is not too difficult to bleed the air out . The coolant was purchased locally at Walmart .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back