2006 Acura TSX maintenance items?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The A02 is basically a Fram Orange PH7317. And since even the orange cans now have a silicone ADBV, you might as well save a little money and buy the Fram. Alternatively, you can step up to the TG or even Ultra if you desire a more premium filter. ...

NO it isn’t. Please stop saying this, it isn’t true, well unless you consider ~12 fewer pleats, lack or a metal seam clamp and a different media “basically”.

I do agree an Ultra or TG or even WIX XP would be a good choice, but there is nothing wrong with an A02. (pretty sure the OP has ~30 A02’s so...)

I’d run OE coolant and air filter myself, Fram cabin filters are fine. The cataloged Denso or NGK plugs will be fine too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
BTW, any thoughts on Fram air and cabin filter from Walmart? Worth it or not at all?

Excellent choice and running both of those in the Matrix. Check online pricing and price match if necessary. The cabin filter has carbon in it. The air filter has a great fitting rubber seal that runs the perimeter unlike the oem Toyota filter.

When I had the Honda and asked about using a Fram air filter one of the service techs said those are fine.

So going to work on Acura in the coming days/weeks.

Planning to do following things:

1- Engine oil and filter change 5W30 PP synthetic and A02 Honda OEM filter

2-PSF change with Honda OEM

3- ATF, 3x D&F with Acura DW1

4-Coolant D&F with pep boy's OEM(brand) coolant

5-Air and Cabin filter, need suggestions where should I get it from? Walmart or RA or AAP?

6-Brake fluid, will do with front brakes in a few months.

Anything else you guys would suggest or I should add to my list? Spark Plugs, maybe or Serpentine belt?

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

Plugs and valve adjustment were due at 100k miles.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
NGK # 6994 LASER IRIDIUM Premium Spark Plugs IZFR6K-11

I think this is the Denso:
Denso (3377) SKJ20DR-M11 Iridium Spark Plug

FYI, I have never seen an NGK plug blow out of the head of a Honda. I have seen MANY Denso plugs do that.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
NGK # 6994 LASER IRIDIUM Premium Spark Plugs IZFR6K-11

I think this is the Denso:
Denso (3377) SKJ20DR-M11 Iridium Spark Plug

FYI, I have never seen an NGK plug blow out of the head of a Honda. I have seen MANY Denso plugs do that.

I'll use NGK for peace of mind
smile.gif

I think I'll be getting NKG plugs for the Matrix soon. Hard to go wrong with those.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I think I'll be getting NKG plugs for the Matrix soon. Hard to go wrong with those.

Can't go wrong with NGK. My own Civic only has a listing for Denso here at the dealer. I made sure to find the appropriate NGK Laser Iridium elsewhere.

I revised my post after thinking about it. I use Wix filters and stock NGK or Denso plugs. Stock is good.
This is my wife's car. I think she prefers it to her 2018 RX450h.

Curious, do you use regular gas or premium?

As a person who have been driving/modifying/tuning/DIY'ing all kinds of K20/K24 engines in the last 10 years, including turbocharged and supercharged ones, I'd recommend NGK spark plugs, and Denso O2 sensors. I am not saying this for bragging, but I've tried/used/changed these brands and products A LOT. When you squeeze out 400-500+ horsepower from two liter engine, these parts become wear & tear item.

I'd change spark plugs and adjust the valves at the same time (at 100k miles). Also, you can change primary o2 sensor, as K series primary o2 sensors are wideband and it gets lazy after 80-100k miles. If you drive it hard (I mean really hard, on track and autox), you need to change it even earlier (40-50k range). It's optional, you can wait until you get CEL, but it is a good preventive maintenance.

Oil filter: Fram XG7317 or M1-110 or Wix equivalent instead of A02. Before using Fram or M1, I used to use S2000 PCX oil filter. It's another good OEM option and it is more robust than A02. A02 is still fine for short intervals.

Coolant: Do not use aftermarket or 3rd party brand coolant. I'd use Honda OEM only. If you don't have Honda dealer nearby, try to find Zerex Asian-spec coolant.

Cabin and air filter: I personally use Fram or Wix.

Brake fluid : ATE TYP200 DOT 4. I used this on trackdays many times and I had no problems at all. This is a "non colored" version of ATE Superblue and it is one of the best DOT 4 in the market for daily and track.

If you have oil consumption problem, you should also consider changing the PCV valve (OEM only). It is relatively cheap and easy to change.

ATF: Either Honda DW1 or Maxlife is fine. I don't have advanced knowledge of automatic transmissions (Acura in my signature is my first A/T car with K20 engine). Some people say you should only use DW1. I have been using Maxlife (left over ATF from Pontiac in my signature) and I do not feel any difference. Unlike the engine, Honda's automatic transmissions are more fragile than Toyotas, so i'd do drain and fill every 30k miles.

PSF: Mine is with EPS, but people use ATF for power steering. Maxlife should work fine. I used Maxlife in PS of Pontiac and had no problems.

Serpentine belt: OEM or Gates. I cannot say the others are bad, but I use either of them and they last long.

Brake pads: I personally use Wagner rotors and pads in my daily driver. It works fine, and cheaper than OEM. I usually buy them from Rockauto.

At Costco, I use Premium fuel.
Otherwise I use mid-grade, cuz I am a cheapskate.

I think Sue buys Premium, cuz she likes good stuff, except in her men...

Originally Posted By: dgunay
As a person who have been driving/modifying/tuning/DIY'ing all kinds of K20/K24 engines in the last 10 years, including turbocharged and supercharged ones, I'd recommend NGK spark plugs, and Denso O2 sensors. I am not saying this for bragging, but I've tried/used/changed these brands and products A LOT. When you squeeze out 400-500+ horsepower from two liter engine, these parts become wear & tear item.

I'd change spark plugs and adjust the valves at the same time (at 100k miles). Also, you can change primary o2 sensor, as K series primary o2 sensors are wideband and it gets lazy after 80-100k miles. If you drive it hard (I mean really hard, on track and autox), you need to change it even earlier (40-50k range). It's optional, you can wait until you get CEL, but it is a good preventive maintenance.

Oil filter: Fram XG7317 or M1-110 or Wix equivalent instead of A02. Before using Fram or M1, I used to use S2000 PCX oil filter. It's another good OEM option and it is more robust than A02. A02 is still fine for short intervals.

Coolant: Do not use aftermarket or 3rd party brand coolant. I'd use Honda OEM only. If you don't have Honda dealer nearby, try to find Zerex Asian-spec coolant.

Brake fluid : ATE TYP200 DOT 4. I used this on trackdays many times and I had no problems at all. This is a "non colored" version of ATE Superblue and it is one of the best DOT 4 in the market for daily and track.

If you have oil consumption problem, you should also consider changing the PCV valve (OEM only). It is relatively cheap and easy to change.

ATF: Either Honda DW1 or Maxlife is fine. I don't have advanced knowledge of automatic transmissions (Acura in my signature is my first A/T car with K20 engine). Some people say you should only use DW1. I have been using Maxlife (left over ATF from Pontiac in my signature) and I do not feel any difference. Unlike the engine, Honda's automatic transmissions are more fragile than Toyotas, so i'd do drain and fill every 30k miles.

PSF: Mine is with EPS, but people use ATF for power steering. Maxlife should work fine. I used Maxlife in PS of Pontiac and had no problems.

Serpentine belt: OEM or Gates. I cannot say the others are bad, but I use either of them and they last long.

Brake pads: I personally use Wagner rotors and pads in my daily driver. It works fine, and cheaper than OEM. I usually buy them from Rockauto.

Thanks very much. I am planning to use this coolant: https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/879925/00162

Honda power steering can use atf over the "Honda oem power steering fluid" stuff?

Originally Posted By: Trav
I am skeptical of ATF in the Honda and Euro PS systems, it might be okay but using OE fluid you know its going to be okay.

Totally agreed, plus Honda PSF is not done every 3K.

Oreilly has quart bottles of Honda spec Power Steering Fluid. I have used Honda PSF and some Oreilly stuff during a flush.
I have not heard of ATF in Hondas.
Either way, a flush will make that steering feel new again.

Now I am curious about the Oxygen Sensors...
I have never adjusted the valves; I believe Honda sez don't touch them unless they are noisy.
But it is time. Plus, I like adjusting valves.

The exhausts won't get noisy, they'll get tight. I put almost 200k on my 03, now granted its a V6, but the exhausts were getting a little tight for my comfort. There was still clearance, but it was definitely time to do them. I would at least look through them all, they should be easy to get to on the K-Series and since it spins a little faster than the V6's they may take a little more pounding.

Did all the maintenance today and TSX pulls great, very happy with the ATF change(did 2 D&F and going to do 3rd in a week).

Might do a PCV valve too, need to find if it's the one right behind exhaust header shield or somewhere else? Valve I'll wait till I have to replace valve cover gasket and will do it all together.

Cabin air filter was dirty like [censored], everything else was in good condition. Thanks everyone for your advice and help.

Did all the maintenance today and TSX pulls great, very happy with the ATF change(did 2 D&F and going to do 3rd in a week).

Might do a PCV valve too, need to find if it's the one right behind exhaust header shield or somewhere else? Valve I'll wait till I have to replace valve cover gasket and will do it all together.

Cabin air filter was dirty like [censored], everything else was in good condition. Thanks everyone for your advice and help.

It's in between the intake manifold and power steering pump. No need to remove the valve cover or anything else.

imag0754bf.jpg

It's in between the intake manifold and power steering pump. No need to remove the valve cover or anything else.

imag0754bf.jpg

Thanks, for some reason I was suspecting it to be back somewhere. Will clean or replace it
thumbsup2.gif

So going to work on Acura in the coming days/weeks.

Planning to do following things:

1- Engine oil and filter change 5W30 PP synthetic and A02 Honda OEM filter

2-PSF change with Honda OEM

3- ATF, 3x D&F with Acura DW1

4-Coolant D&F with pep boy's OEM(brand) coolant

5-Air and Cabin filter, need suggestions where should I get it from? Walmart or RA or AAP?

6-Brake fluid, will do with front brakes in a few months.

Anything else you guys would suggest or I should add to my list? Spark Plugs, maybe or Serpentine belt?

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

Plugs and valve adjustment were due at 100k miles.

At your mileage, plan on replacing the front compliance bushings as well. There is no reason to replace the entire lower arm with aftermarket unless the other bushings, which is rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back