2005 Series III 3800 intake gasket

So verified, this 2005 had plastic gaskets. Intake has never been off, 130,000 miles. Took me a little less than 4 hours start to finish with 30ish minutes to eat and feed my kids.

Looked pretty decent in there, but the plastic gaskets were done. I replaced the upper intake plenum as well, didn't need it but a GM one was under 100 bucks.

Used the Fel-Pro metal framed intake gaskets.

I think it was like 30 fasteners total. I used 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, and 15mm sockets/wrenches.

It is one of the easiest intakes to replace. I think I am 300 bucks in the repair with new plenum.
Here you go.

View attachment 105129
View attachment 105130
The passages filled with grime/dirt dead head to the bottom of the intake, so
all the ones I have done have a bit a build up there.

View attachment 105131
View attachment 105132
View attachment 105135
View attachment 105138
View attachment 105139
View attachment 105140
Very nice photos and write up. Thank You sir 🇺🇸🍻

For those interested in the shift kit.

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

Accumulator in the Transmission. White circles are the fasteners removed to get it out of the transmission.
I loosen all the other ones, makes it easier to take it apart once removed.
IMG_2980.JPG

accumulator removed.
IMG_2982.JPG

IMG_3000.JPG

IMG_2983.JPG

The TransGo kit is proprietary in the fact that it reduces the range of the 2nd & 3rd Accumulators thus shortening the 1-2 shift & 2-3 shift.
The most common problem with the 4T65E is a P1811 which is usually caused by a upshift that took too long to complete.

I won't normally install the TransGo kit without also replacing the Pressure Control Solenoid which requires removing the Side Cover, Low Line Pressure can also cause the P1811......It sucks to have to install a PCS for free after the TG kit didn't 100% fix the unit.
Thank you @clinebarger for the info, I appreciate it. 🙂

So verified, this 2005 had plastic gaskets. Intake has never been off, 130,000 miles. Took me a little less than 4 hours start to finish with 30ish minutes to eat and feed my kids.

Looked pretty decent in there, but the plastic gaskets were done. I replaced the upper intake plenum as well, didn't need it but a GM one was under 100 bucks.

Used the Fel-Pro metal framed intake gaskets.

I think it was like 30 fasteners total. I used 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, and 15mm sockets/wrenches.

It is one of the easiest intakes to replace. I think I am 300 bucks in the repair with new plenum.
Here you go.

View attachment 105129
View attachment 105130
The passages filled with grime/dirt dead head to the bottom of the intake, so
all the ones I have done have a bit a build up there.

View attachment 105131
View attachment 105132
View attachment 105135
View attachment 105138
View attachment 105139
View attachment 105140
Nice job. Sometimes I wish I had the 3800, I have the 3.1 with 107,500 miles on it, history unknown.
What's nice is you don't have to fool with the push rods on the 3800, but you do on the 3.1.

You did it right, so you will never have to do that again. I had to take off those metal gaskets after 85k of use to swap the lower manifold on mine (it was dorman and leaking). They looked like new and looked good enough to re-use, not that I did. I truly believe that is the real fix and won't be an issue again. I have the plastic upper, so it got a new one since they are known to warp. The car has been flawless for the 85k I have already put on it. Looking forward to many more comfortable miles. Good luck with yours! If you just got it, look into putting in a transgo shift kit, you won't regret it.
Do you, or others know if a 2001 Grand Prix SE, 3.1 has the upper plastic intake?

No other unit benefits as much from a Gil Younger SK kit as a 4T65E!
So nice to see a transmission man "just say YES to a shift kit" The few I talked to around here wanted to sell me a rebuild.
Thank you for your help on here clinebarger!

Maybe Cline will chime in, but the short answer is yes. Helps with hard shifts, up the line pressure so the clutches don't slip as much. You get a firmer shift with less clutch slippage, so they don't wear out as fast.
+1 getting ready to do my shift kit and filter pan drop when it warms up.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it. So it sounds like a pretty standard shift kit? I have heard that the 4T65E is somewhat weak so I wasn't sure if there was a reason specific to that tranny or not. I drive like a granny so I am definitely easy on my trannies. I like to change the fluid and filter every 30,000 miles or so.
I would say do it with your next pan drop/fill if not sooner.

The TransGo kit is proprietary in the fact that it reduces the range of the 2nd & 3rd Accumulators thus shortening the 1-2 shift & 2-3 shift.
The most common problem with the 4T65E is a P1811 which is usually caused by a upshift that took too long to complete.

I won't normally install the TransGo kit without also replacing the Pressure Control Solenoid which requires removing the Side Cover, Low Line Pressure can also cause the P1811......It sucks to have to install a PCS for free after the TG kit didn't 100% fix the unit.
Just from the sound of it, "
"it reduces the range of the 2nd & 3rd Accumulators" so what do they do, do the cylinders fill up faster/sooner and send the fluid sooner?

The GM 3800 is a great engine compromised by poor gaskets....what was GM thinking when they put such garbage gaskets on their engine?....and then they spec'd gasket eating coolant (2-EHA) a few years earlier...

The 3100 also had garbage gaskets and what made it even worse was there weren't enough bolts used to secure it....poor engineering.

Last edited:
I never have, I just make sure to lube them with Dexron before putting them back in. I always replace the accumulator spacer plate.
I know you said the spacer plate.
But I'm just saying, Amazon has the accumulator cover for only $11.72. Seems reasonable I would have thought it would have been more.
I guess you very seldom have to replace those though unless it would somehow become damaged?
Check this out! https://a.co/d/64oIvjL

31eqB1W+iTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I never have, I just make sure to lube them with Dexron before putting them back in. I always replace the accumulator spacer plate.
Do you or anyone know if the accumulator plate is the same for the 4T65E as it is for the 4T60E.
There is one for only $3 on eBay, I'd like to get if it's the same one.
It's a Transtec B10046
I'm on a fixed income I'm trying to keep the price down a little bit on this thing every time I turn around I find something else I need. I already got a new differential lube tube I probably didn't really need that.
I also got the sonnex lube tube retainer.
I also got 2 new magnets.

Do you or anyone know if the accumulator plate is the same for the 4T65E as it is for the 4T60E.
It's a Transtec B10046
I'm on a fixed income I'm trying to keep the price down a little bit on this thing every time I turn around I find something else I need. I already got a new differential lube tube I probably didn't really need that.
Cline would know

It's a Transtec B10046

They are slightly different....

4T60E generic number......84308B
4T65E generic number......84308G

These are generic part numbers used by wholesalers like Transtar & WIT.

Transtec number.....B10046.

Back