2005 Jeep Liberty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife has an 06 and likes it. No major repairs...mostly just maintenance type stuff. It is surprisingly capable off-road for what it is. Twice we've had it to the San Juans in CO (for a few days each time) and hit the trails. Nothing extreme, of course, but it handled moderate trails just fine.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
First choice is a $1700 2003 camry v6 auto with 180k. But teenagers want a jeep lol.

Us with real jeeps dont consider a liberty worthy.

C'mon it's not as bad as the Compass, Renegade and Cherokee with the ugly lights...

Originally Posted by Imp4

Seems to line up just about right.
Your 'BITOG mantra' crack doesn't hold water here.
200k+ on a 14ish year old FCA product.....

The potential headroom for durability and dependability is likely not that great. Maybe OP will have a great experience with this, but it certainly wouldn't be a first choice here...

This was a DaimlerChrysler product. Not FCA.

As big of a Mopar guy as I am, I would not put a teenage driver in one. IIHS rated it Marginal to Poor, but NHTSA gave it 5 stars except from passenger side, which got a 4.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

As big of a Mopar guy as I am, I would not put a teenage driver in one. IIHS rated it Marginal to Poor, but NHTSA gave it 5 stars except from passenger side, which got a 4.

Duly noted with respect to DaimlerChrysler.
But I'm not sure how the DC comment has any material impact on the thrust of the discussion. Especially given your follow on comments about safety, which I agree with.

The test crash videos are available online. Aside from not having side airbags the crashes didnt look that bad for an older vehicle. A positive about the liberty is that it is rugged enough to go through two feet of snow yet remains an anti jeep. IMO wrangler drivers are getting to to be more annoying than bmw drivers. Way too many posers in my neck of the woods.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Duly noted with respect to DaimlerChrysler.
But I'm not sure how the DC comment has any material impact on the thrust of the discussion. Especially given your follow on comments about safety, which I agree with.

I was just throwing out some info, I didn't mean for it to come off as snappy as it does when I re-read it now lol... I'm sorry about that

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
That's a $ 1,000 car tops.

$1,000 won't even buy a car that moves under it's own power.

Condition is everything at this price point. If it's clean, not a rust bucket and has a strong powertrain, then it's worth it.

Originally Posted by dishdude

Condition is everything at this price point. If it's clean, not a rust bucket and has a strong powertrain, then it's worth it.

+1

Rust in the lower areas - rockers and sills - is a bad problem.

If its solid there, it's way ahead of most of these.

3.7 is reliable, but as others have said, hard on gas. If short-tripped in the cold a lot, they get mayo sludge in the top end from condensation.

Seems like a good price for a decent-running 'true 4X4'.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by dishdude

+1

Yeah, around here $1000 gets you parts cars that can't pass inspection. They need so much work to pass they end up costing more than they are worth. Example is the Maxima in my signature. It was free. Guy wanted it out of his yard. $2300 in parts later I have a rusting car that smells like mice needs another $500 to go much further. Once I got into it I couldn't stop. I don't want to go through as much work this time around.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Rust in the lower areas - rockers and sills - is a bad problem.

If its solid there, it's way ahead of most of these.

3.7 is reliable, but as others have said, hard on gas. If short-tripped in the cold a lot, they get mayo sludge in the top end from condensation.

Seems like a good price for a decent-running 'true 4X4'.

Thanks. Will definately go in the daylight and crawl underneath for a peek

I'm an admin on a Liberty forum, so I know these pretty well. They are real Jeeps....some of us actually wheel
smile.gif

203k miles means it's probably a good one. My 05 is at 190k. Biggest thing I'd be worried about is the transmission. My torque converter failed at 150k. I'd get this one scanned and just see if it has any pending or historical codes. For the price, possibly not an issue, but it'd be nice to know.

Otherwise, just make sure it has HOAT coolant in it, flush it if you're not sure. Otherwise, pretty solid. MPG sucks, but if you need good off road ability or snow capability, it'll be great. Drive mine 80 miles everyday. Definitely beefier and more stout feeling than anything else in its class.

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
I'm an admin on a Liberty forum, so I know these pretty well. They are real Jeeps....some of us actually wheel
smile.gif

203k miles means it's probably a good one. My 05 is at 190k. Biggest thing I'd be worried about is the transmission. My torque converter failed at 150k. I'd get this one scanned and just see if it has any pending or historical codes. For the price, possibly not an issue, but it'd be nice to know.

Otherwise, just make sure it has HOAT coolant in it, flush it if you're not sure. Otherwise, pretty solid. MPG sucks, but if you need good off road ability or snow capability, it'll be great. Drive mine 80 miles everyday. Definitely beefier and more stout feeling than anything else in its class.

Thank you. It's for a HS kid working his first job at a supermarket. But he will have to travel a distance to college so fuel consumption is a concern. Does it match the posted ratings?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
smile.gif

Thank you. It's for a HS kid working his first job at a supermarket. But he will have to travel a distance to college so fuel consumption is a concern. Does it match the posted ratings?

If it's stock and in good mechanical shape, then you can probably get 20-22 on the highway. 15-16 in town. Not sure what they were rated at, but that seems to be normal for a stock one. With bigger tires and no regear, count on 15-17 on the highway and 15 in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back