2002 toyota Rav4 manual transmission additives?

Good Morning: I'm going to change the gear oil in my wife's 2002 rav 4 with a manual 5 speed. Other than a high quality 75W-90 oil, any recommendations for additives? Its got 300,000 km (185,000 miles) on it, and runs great so I'd like to keep it that way! thank you!

I had a '93 Corolla 5 speed that started having light grinding between shifts. I changed with multiple brands fluids, no additives and it continued or was worse. 3 shops said it would probably need rebuild. Friend who was BMW mechanic said to try BG Synchro Shift II. BMW was using it per a TSB for the same issues in some of their cars. I tried it hoping for better but expecting nothing. 3qts was much cheaper than a rebuild.

20 miles later all grinding was gone, under load, high rpm etc. Car shifted great for next almost 100k until it was totaled in accident. I changed it 1x per year after that just because. I'd go for a better fluid rather than an additive IMO. Molacule had listed viscosities of many manual transmission fluids in other threads. I'm currently running GM Synchromesh FM in my Accord and it shifts a better than the factory fluid was.

I had tried some Redline and Ravenol in it prior but didn't like them as much for cold weather. I had tried the BG in my Sonata and it was much better than factory in cold but not as good as Pentosin that they had listed as a TSB for the Genesis in cold. Sonata HATED 2nd gear until fluid was warmer.

I don't think there's any benefit with mtf additives if it's fine as it is. Use a top tier oil to prolong the synchros life like amsoil. Wish my wife didn't hate manual transmissions though.

I had a '93 Corolla 5 speed that started having light grinding between shifts. I changed with multiple brands fluids, no additives and it continued or was worse. 3 shops said it would probably need rebuild. Friend who was BMW mechanic said to try BG Synchro Shift II. BMW was using it per a TSB for the same issues in some of their cars. I tried it hoping for better but expecting nothing. 3qts was much cheaper than a rebuild.

20 miles later all grinding was gone, under load, high rpm etc. Car shifted great for next almost 100k until it was totaled in accident. I changed it 1x per year after that just because. I'd go for a better fluid rather than an additive IMO. Molacule had listed viscosities of many manual transmission fluids in other threads. I'm currently running GM Synchromesh FM in my Accord and it shifts a better than the factory fluid was.

I had tried some Redline and Ravenol in it prior but didn't like them as much for cold weather. I had tried the BG in my Sonata and it was much better than factory in cold but not as good as Pentosin that they had listed as a TSB for the Genesis in cold. Sonata HATED 2nd gear until fluid was warmer.
Thank you for the advice

I don't think there's any benefit with mtf additives if it's fine as it is. Use a top tier oil to prolong the synchros life like amsoil. Wish my wife didn't hate manual transmissions though.
Thank you for the advice! Guess I'm lucky, mine loves them!! lol

Amsoil is an excellent choice, just be sure to get the 75w90 trans lube... the synchromesh MTF is 5w30 and not suited to the RAV4 discussed here.
1696356345949.jpg

Redline MT-90 75W90 GL-4 .

Back