2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Sahara I've owned since 2002; I have three standing offers to buy it, but it's not going anywhere just yet- it has one last political campaign to go...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
That’s ridiculous money.

Actually, no. That's a great deal. Consider that it probably has $3000 worth of stickers and lights on it.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
That’s ridiculous money. Plus on a year where the head is basically guaranteed to crack.

Guaranteed to crack?

I know of 6 Jeeps with 0331 heads in service. All of them have 150k-250k miles. 1 cracked, and it was overheated twice.

It's not the end of the world if they do crack either. Many people continued to drive them despite the coolant lose..

1 weekend of work and maybe $500 for a rebuilt head although I would look for a junkyard head if possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
That’s ridiculous money. Plus on a year where the head is basically guaranteed to crack.

Guaranteed to crack?

I know of 6 Jeeps with 0331 heads in service. All of them have 150k-250k miles. 1 cracked, and it was overheated twice.

It's not the end of the world if they do crack either. Many people continued to drive them despite the coolant lose..

1 weekend of work and maybe $500 for a rebuilt head although I would look for a junkyard head if possible.

Yup, the head that cracked was fixed in a weekend. About $100 of misc. parts and gaskets, $600 for the new beefier head, a cooling system flush and it now has 55k miles since the crack with no issues. The reason it overheated was at 160k miles the coolant turned to jello, and clogged everything. The Jeep now has 215k and runs pretty good for something that was severely neglected.

Or, just don’t buy a year where the heads are known to crack, and then don’t have to deal with swapping the head...

Or, just don’t buy a year where the heads are known to crack, and then don’t have to deal with swapping the head...

Yup, exactly. When looking for mine the last two years 2000-2001 seemed to have the lowest miles and least amount of rust. The color on mine (Silverstone metallic) was only offered in 2000-2001 as well. After 8 years and 100k miles of relatively trouble-free ownership I think I made a good decision.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back