2 UOAs: Mobil 1 10w40+Lucas OS, 7000 & 9000 miles, 2005 Dodge Caravan 3.8L

well then, since this UOA is an

I feel confident the engine is going to be fine.

Seriously, I literally paid $200 for this minivan, so every time I turn the key forward and it starts I’m thrilled!

When I bought it the oil dipstick was rusted into the dipstick tube making it impossible to check the oil. I put a battery in it, got it started, and then added a full quart of oil.

When I went home, I tried again to get the dipstick out and the plastic handle broke off. After consulting YouTube University I got the old one out, purchased a new one and checked the oil. Nothing on the dipstick. I added another quart. Checked again and still nothing on the dipstick. The 4.5 quart system was fully 3 quarts low! I’m lucky it made it home.

I went to change the plugs and all 3 on the back of the engine that face rearward had not been tightened down. I was able to remove them all without a wrench.

And … the van runs perfectly to this day!

It’ll probably outlive all of us.

It’s sitting in the driveway right now road trip ready! (Pic below from Key West)
View attachment 177120
Well, since I feel sufficiently trolled, and somewhat embarrassed as to have been drawn this far into this absolutely pointless discussion, I'm going to bow-out and not engage further.

Have fun with your van,vettes and UOA's, I'm done.

@Robvette in case you havent noticed, the mods have removed references to any Project Farm oil comparision video as his science is akin to black magic. I would recommend you remove it shortly or they certainly will.

Also agree with @OVERKILL there is not much other than a repeat pattern of Lucas salesman stuff going on, no science, nothing but feelings and endless drumbeats of "acknolwedging" and forced opinions going back since June with multiple threads. Cherrio.

Last edited:
@Robvette in case you havent noticed, the mods have removed references to any Project Farm oil comparision video as his science is akin to black magic. I would recommend you remove it shortly or they certainly will.

Also agree with @OVERKILL there is not much other than a repeat pattern of Lucas salesman stuff going on repeatedly, no science, nothing but feelings and endless drumbeats of "acknolwedging" and forced opinions going back since June with multiple threads. Cherrio.
I hope they take aways are:

“sometimes, in some applications, under some operating conditions, simply increasing viscosity reduces wear and oil consumption.”

And

“if increased viscosity is desired, achieving it with a fully formulated oil is probably better and definitely less expensive than using Lucas.”

7y6pcf.jpg

I hope they take aways are:

“sometimes, in some applications, under some operating conditions, simply increasing viscosity reduces wear and oil consumption.”
Tribology tells you that higher viscosity oil provides higher MOFT which provides more protection for moving parts but the UOA wear metals don't tell you this.
And

“if increased viscosity is desired, achieving it with a fully formulated oil is probably better and definitely less expensive than using Lucas.”
Agreed.

The only unstable oil I saw was farting gas at the labrea tar pits, even then it was pretty tepid.

Tribology tells you that higher viscosity oil provides higher MOFT which provides more protection for moving parts but the UOA wear metals don't tell you this.
Like 18-19 years ago VW introduced the Pumpe Deuce TDI and it was susceptible to early and accelerated cam wear. The initial VW spec was 505.01 a light 5w40, then the 506.01 spec superseded it which was a 0w30. The promise was that this advanced new light formulation would protect even better. At that time, the veteran BITOG members cautioned against the 0w30 and said a robust 5w40 like M1 TDT would be optimal and potentially cam saving. Over time the M1 TDT definitely proved to be the right choice based on both UOA observed lower wear metals and the absence of cam failures. Note - TDT carried no VW approvals.

I spend a LOT of time on BITOG in 2004 thru 2007 (my user name was SUNRG). I was hypermileing TDIs, driving a ton, and trying to optimize fuel economy along with low wear. After I sold my TDIs I did UOAs only occasionally for years and didn’t post here or tune in at all.

Then I started getting into Corvettes in 2020 (cars I really care about) so I’m back for a bit. I don’t still have whatever email was associated with SUNRG so I created Robvette. It’s super clear that most here would prefer I stay away, and I probably will after my next set of UOAs come in, and I’ve 100% settled on the oils and filters I’ll use in our vettes.

I do appreciate the info and knowledge base here at BITOG.

And the BITOG Brahmans feel trolled.

Self awareness is a good personality trait, gents. A more careful read through this thread might help in that respect.

Many BITOG pathologies are on display.

And the BITOG Brahmans feel trolled.

Self awareness is a good personality trait, gents. A more careful read through this thread might help in that respect.

Many BITOG pathologies are on display.
Please list these so-called "BITOG pathologies".

Some UOAs I realized I hadn't shared: The first 9000 mile UOA was when my family super-overloaded our minivan ultimate with 3 kids, our dog, my wife and I, 5 bicycles and camping and cooking gear and we drove across and all around the country for a little more than 5 weeks. The oil became super thick because the car started the journey with M1 10w40 High Mileage and Lucas Oil Stabilizer, and ... the only top up oil I used for the whole 9000 mile trip was Lucas Oil Stabilizer. The second 7000 mile UOA was also M1 + Lucas and just us driving all around the mountains near our home going to bike races and everywhere else. Bonus points if you can guess where in the US we were in the minivan in picture 2 ;)
View attachment 176944
This minivan was broken down on the side of the road at a time when I was looking for a minivan. I helped the owner push it into a nearby parking lot and asked her what she planned to do with it. She said she had already gotten another car, she wanted this minivan out of her life, and a scrap yard was going to give her $200 for it. I said "I'll give you $200 for it." A few months later, after doing a bunch of repairs and past due maintenance, I left my job and used the small small severance I received to head cross country with my family. A little of our trip was documented here facebook.com/rosiesfarts
View attachment 176945
well judging by the picture and the lack of tarmac and people around I'm going to take a wild guess that you're not at the Brandenburg Gate...

I spend a LOT of time on BITOG in 2004 thru 2007 (my user name was SUNRG). I was hypermileing TDIs, driving a ton, and trying to optimize fuel economy along with low wear. After I sold my TDIs I did UOAs only occasionally for years and didn’t post here or tune in at all.

Then I started getting into Corvettes in 2020 (cars I really care about) so I’m back for a bit. I don’t still have whatever email was associated with SUNRG so I created Robvette. It’s super clear that most here would prefer I stay away, and I probably will after my next set of UOAs come in, and I’ve 100% settled on the oils and filters I’ll use in our vettes.

I do appreciate the info and knowledge base here at BITOG.
You said it on your video... The Lucas "Is a Must for hard working transmissions". :LOL: A lot of us have our "favorites" including some you've engaged in here that have no Licensed products that they swear by so don't get offended & keep doing what you're doing if that's what you want to spend your money on. I will add from my perspective that it's hard to size up an oil analysis when it's been "Watered down" by a thickener of sorts. Will it "Extend engine & transmission life" I don't know but the oil bottles claim the same so who's right or wrong? Companies know how to "sell" us stuff.

You said it on your video... The Lucas "Is a Must for hard working transmissions". :LOL: A lot of us have our "favorites" including some you've engaged in here that have no Licensed products that they swear by so don't get offended & keep doing what you're doing if that's what you want to spend your money on. I will add from my perspective that it's hard to size up an oil analysis when it's been "Watered down" by a thickener of sorts. Will it "Extend engine & transmission life" I don't know but the oil bottles claim the same so who's right or wrong? Companies know how to "sell" us stuff.
Sure. I use some LM additives that many here poo-poo but I like but I also don't say my UOAs indicate they are doing XYZ....

Back