2 stroke racing oil

I have an older yz125 1996 i have been using castrol 2T just because wm and meijers carry it but i think i could do better. Amazon has maxima super M for 24 bucks for 64oz the castor or formula k is almost double that.Also the super M has polybutene which i heard is best. Thoughts ? I dont race just trail ride.I am going to use rotella t4 or whatever 10w40 wm or meijer has for wet clutch in the gearbox.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230720-141214.jpg
    Screenshot_20230720-141214.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 28
I have an older yz125 1996 i have been using castrol 2T just because wm and meijers carry it but i think i could do better. Amazon has maxima super M for 24 bucks for 64oz the castor or formula k is almost double that.Also the super M has polybutene which i heard is best. Thoughts ? I dont race just trail ride.I am going to use rotella t4 or whatever 10w40 wm or meijer has for wet clutch in the gearbox.
What ratio are you running now?
Trail Riding and Racing will need to have different Ratios.
Castrol 2T is a great oil, Maxima is also a Fantastic 2 Stroke Oil, but 2 be honest, 4 what you are doing I would stick with the Castrol 2T.

The other thing you can do is look up the SDS Sheets on both 2 stroke oils and also call up both Maxima and Castrol. I have a feeling, and this is just a feeling, is that Maxima may burn a bit cleaner than the Castrol 2T. I am guessing and we need to know what ratio are you running your YZ125 at?

I called maxima left a voicemail.to be honest i was running like 3 oz or a little more per gallon but been using a little more like 4oz lately..my thoughts where it would smoke less and not foul the plug. So should i be mixing 32.1 ?

the more oil you run the better the ring seal and the more hp you make.
for a 250 using 32:1 is ok, but on a 125 ringding id suggest 24:1
and yes i used to own a yz125h. as well as a yz80d that i ran 20:1 in

4oz per gal is the absolute least amount of oil you should be using in a 125cc motocrosser. In fact, I'd use 5 oz per gal. Know that the oil migrates through the crankcase as a factor of RPM. This is why 125cc engines destroy rod bearings fast, when insufficient oil is used.

As mentioned above, more oil makes more power. Could end up with operational difficulties though, such as fouled plugs.

One good choice is Castrol RS TTs, Maxima Super M is considered a mid grade oil, but people tend to absolutely love it. K2 is a higher end choice according to their website.

I tend to stick with any EG-D rated oil, and mix according to an engine's needs.

fouling a plug is entirely due to jetting and not oil ratio

no idea if yamalube-r is still made or available, but used to be darn good.
then i ran mobil1 Racing 2T when i raced my 98yz250

no idea if it can be found anymore, but there was a video of barium infused 2stroke oil put into a 2stroke motor and xrayed realtime to
see how long the oil lasted in the crankcase. and the time went down sharply as the rpm went up. like shockingly quick how fast it was gone.

Shell ultra synthetic two stroke is EG-D. The personal water craft and snowmobile are the same product with a different label. It’s my go to oil in chainsaws that run up to 13,000 rpm.

Does anyone know what kind of oil in Castrol XR77? Is it fully synthetic oil made from hydrocarbon base stock or Castor Oil based? Please advice

Does anyone know what kind of oil in Castrol XR77? Is it fully synthetic oil made from hydrocarbon base stock or Castor Oil based? Please advice
From their website:

Castrol POWER1 XR 77 is the ultimate pre-mix only racing 2-stroke engine oil based on fully synthetic technology.
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 14.9
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 138

I'd guess it's not a castor oil, nor is it a "bright stock" based oil, as the VI is 138. (bright stock has a VI of less than 100)

I'd guess that's a pretty robust 2 stroke oil.

From their website:

Castrol POWER1 XR 77 is the ultimate pre-mix only racing 2-stroke engine oil based on fully synthetic technology.
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 14.9
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 138

I'd guess it's not a castor oil, nor is it a "bright stock" based oil, as the VI is 138. (bright stock has a VI of less than 100)

I'd guess that's a pretty robust 2 stroke oil.
Thank you so much for your help, the term bright stock is new to me, let me dig in on it

Stick with the recommended oil/fuel mix with a quality oil. More oil makes more power because less gas is a leaner mix. Lean is mean in the 2 stroke world. Unless you have EGT's on it you will never know what your exhaust temps are. Fuel cools the combustion chamber.
Lean also burns piston edges off on the exhaust side and holes piston centers. Been there on snowmobiles.
Winter air temps moving 20f are worth a jet size on conservative jetting. Summer temps may be a little more forgiving, I never did any summer sled drag racing, so I'm not experienced with that.
When BellRay came out with a synth. oil back in the day castor oils went out the window for me.

Thank you so much for your help, the term bright stock is new to me, let me dig in on it
The term “bright stock” refers to the base oil. Generally, a Group I base oil, the classic high-viscosity, slow-pouring, amber-colored base oil – has been around since the 1930s. The hydro-treating process developed in the 1960s added the stability and longer life that we associate with Group I oils today.

Bright Stock has been a common 2 stroke oil nearly forever.

Last edited:
For trail riding on a 125cc;

Any JASO FD or EG-D oil will do great for lubricity/cleanliness balance. JASO FB mineral will do absolutely fine if you want to save few $.

I would avoid anything with castor oil and high ester ´´racing´´ oil, they are expensive and may be dirty in your application.

Oil mix ratio 32:1.

4oz per gal is the absolute least amount of oil you should be using in a 125cc motocrosser. In fact, I'd use 5 oz per gal. Know that the oil migrates through the crankcase as a factor of RPM. This is why 125cc engines destroy rod bearings fast, when insufficient oil is used.

As mentioned above, more oil makes more power. Could end up with operational difficulties though, such as fouled plugs.

One good choice is Castrol RS TTs, Maxima Super M is considered a mid grade oil, but people tend to absolutely love it. K2 is a higher end choice according to their website.

I tend to stick with any EG-D rated oil, and mix according to an engine's needs.
What oil are you using currently? I've been using Castrol RS TTS for over 10 years but it was discontinued over a year ago and I opened the last container this weekend. I really like the oil but Castrol said they do not have a replacement

Back