2 stroke oil in a 95 Indy XLT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Just read a similar post below (500 Indy oil requirements) and it got me thinking?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2082419#Post2082419

I am currently running Shell Advance(blue bottle/non syn)in it now but it seems to consume it at a visious rate!
Prior to that I was running Produmax which is now ZX-1 or something similar(2-3 times the price too!!)and my consumption issue was a non factor as it used a normal amount(compared to everyone else)

One time I was given a 5-ltr jug of Amsoil injector oil for a very good price(buddy was a dealer)and my XLT inhaled the stuff!
After it was gone I tried to go back to Produmax but it was discontinued so I started running the Shell Advance but my consumption issues continued??

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the thickness of oils and if they play a role in how much oil is consumed?

The Produmax I use to use was a much thicker oil than the Shell and obviously the Amsoil and my hash marks on my oil pump are perfectly aligned so I don't believe it has anything to do with that?

I was going to try just some regular Polaris Blue oil this year as it seemed thick like my Produmax did but it is now discontinued.
Thoughts??

Last edited:
How do your plugs look? I had a buddy with a Polaris that sucked oil like it was going out of style. I've heard that dealers can adjust the oil ratio on newer sleds - not sure if possible on a 95.

Check your oil pump. Make sure the line on the pump arm and the line on the casting line up. I just ordered a new oil pump for a 1998 Indy 500 because the pump wouldn't go back to "zero" or the idle amount of oil. It would always be off the peg and the plugs got so oil fouled they wouldn't spark. it also consume more oil than the other 3 indy 500's we run with.

bob

Oil injector pump is out of adjustment or defective. Won't matter what oil you use.

Does your engine call for TC3 or TCW3?

Canadian Tire Motomaster brand (Imperial Oil/Exxon) is an excellent two cycle oil. I use it in everything two cycle (except outboards) including oil injected engines.

Boraticus, im out of my leauge here, but couldnt this person "mix" their own gas/oil and forget the injection? or is there some type "safety" that prevents this method?

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
Boraticus, im out of my leauge here, but couldnt this person "mix" their own gas/oil and forget the injection? or is there some type "safety" that prevents this method?

Thanks guy's, figure it is the pump but I was curious if oil thickness could also play a role in it?

It must just be me but I find it funny that I had no issues running the thicker Produmax oil and all this consumption started when I tried a thinner synthetic oil?

Kcfx4, there would be no issues running a pre-mix, I am just trying to figure this issue out so hopefully I can still run my injector.
It sucks big time trying to pre-mix while out trail riding!

For the time being, as this sled doesn'tsee many miles(secondary sled) I will continue to consume what I do and just carry an extra litre bottle with me should the time arise?

If your sled isnt smoking like a shot down bomber and not fouling plugs, I wouldnt worry about it. Its better rich then lean. I like to see a two stroke smoke, no smoke worries me. I mix some oil in with the fuel, just incase my injection system stops-unannouced. Too rich. Smokes out those tree huggin hippies too.

there is an alignment mark on the oil pump. check and adjust. check your plugs. all that being said, my XLT has always used more oil than any other sled I have had. kinda figured it was just the tripple....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back