2 cycle oil.. what a difference!

I've ran this 2 cycle in my Yamaha CV80 since I got it with 300 miles. Recently the oil line popped off.. like about every other line on the darn thing.. and had to borrow some from a shop along the way. I want to say it was Motul ashless but not certain. The scoot stunk with whatever it was and smoked to! Finally ran through it and got back to the Pennzoil but there a drop or two that's still in there. Guess I haven't been around 2 cycles enough to play with different oils.. but I'm going to stick with this Pennzoil!
IMG_1780.jpeg

I run Pennzoil in my 25hp Mercury and have always been very pleased with it. Minimal smoke and no smell. Plugs always look good. I hadn't really thought about it, but its probably the only thing oil wise I'm brand loyal on.. I'll put anything in the sump of a 4 stroke.

I have heard not to run marine 2 stroke in air cooled motors because they get too hot and the oil cokes up as it was formulated for cooler running water cooled engines.
Maybe that was true 20-30 years ago and may not be the case now.

I have heard not to run marine 2 stroke in air cooled motors because they get too hot and the oil cokes up as it was formulated for cooler running water cooled engines.
I would like to know if this is still true as well, because the bulk stuff for the outboards is waaay less expensive

I've been running Lucas injector oil in my Polaris. It's rated for aircooled engines apparently and doesn't coke up the rings. I hate 2 stroke engines! But apparently everyone else when I ride the darn thing loves the smell of 2 stroke exhaust and thinks the 2 stroke engine are the best thing ever.

A few people have told me to run Klotz ... But I have a hard time spending $50 for a gallon of oil!

I have used the cheapest TC-W3 oil I can find in everything [air and water cooled] for 30 years. Engines are spotless inside and never any fuel related problems.

Outboards run a lower RPMs and cooler so they need a non coking. oil . Ari cooled engineds usually run hotter and higher RPMs and coke up less due to the higher heat and the higher RPMs clean the poston tops and vibrate the piston rings [clean] . Todays oils are far superior that 20+ years ago.

I've been running Lucas injector oil in my Polaris. It's rated for aircooled engines apparently and doesn't coke up the rings. I hate 2 stroke engines! But apparently everyone else when I ride the darn thing loves the smell of 2 stroke exhaust and thinks the 2 stroke engine are the best thing ever.

A few people have told me to run Klotz ... But I have a hard time spending $50 for a gallon of oil!
2 stroke oil in the morning smells like victory ! I really miss simplicity of the two stroke motorcycle engine of yeaterday. Change the trans oil and run the snot out of them.

2 stroke oil in the morning smells like victory ! I really miss simplicity of the two stroke motorcycle engine of yeaterday. Change the trans oil and run the snot out of them.
To me, 2 stroke engines are throwaway weedwacker engines!
But, it does have a decent amount of power for it's 300CC size and it's air cooled. I could see myself puncturing many ATV radiators with a watercooled one

This. Many say this is the case. When I purchased a cheap Bolens gas string trimmer from lowes years ago I found a gallon of the Mercury 2 stroke oil on clearance. I used that exclusively not knowing that to be the case. There was alot of build up on the piston top, significantly more than expected. When I purchased my Stihl nothing but synthetic jaso fd and it's really clean.

I ran that Pennzoil for years in my 2004 Mercury 225 Optimax. I never had a second of trouble with it.
Never tried that - and just ordered a jug of overpriced Mercury OptiMax oil … maybe next time …

Last edited:
Back