1TB cloud storage options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SF0059
Remind me not to disagree with Reddy45...

The closest to your target price from a reputable company is iDrive at $60/yr for 1tb. The first year is $15 right now, which will subsidize several of your future years down to $50.

Can't speak to the product, I use Google Drive for my personal backup and have corporate OneDrive and Box accounts.

There a saying about if you can't take the heat you need to get out of the kitchen-or at least block your visitor from the kitchen........
smile.gif
whistle.gif
I guess that's what he felt he needed to do.

Last edited:
For my desktop I use a RAID card and multiple HDDs + 2 separate USB 2 TB drives for offsite storage.

The idea of a RAID arrangement is that reliability improves a lot statically when 2 or 3 drives are
connected to the RAID card. The RAID card also parity checks the data and IDs an early HDD sector failure,
rewrites the data and marks the bad sector.

It may seem like a lot, but I've got decades of work saved! Tons of DWG files I could never re-do!

Back in '91 on a contract they had no IT support for me, nearly lost a full year's work! On a Monday I ran
a disk scan that picked up issues, so I spent 5 hrs loading work to floppies, next day at 9am i got a 'blue screen'
man that was close! But I was OK, I saved it all just in time!

I've noticed a lot of HDDs run hot and oxidize the PCB on the drive just enough to open contacts to the
drive read/write heads or motor drive, I take off the PCB, abrade the contacts ever so slightly and re-assemble
and I save 60 to 80% of the old drives sitting around here or I pick up cheap!

LOL, it's how I get all my free music files!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's all well and good-but there are plenty of "plug and play" storage/RAID solutions on the market that are not that expensive.

Neither cloud or RAID array are solutions in and of themselves for sufficient backups. For data that you really care about you should always follow the 3-2-1 Rule:

- Have at least three copies of your data.
- Store the copies on two different media.
- Keep one backup copy offsite.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Not sure what difference this makes in everyone's life. I hear there is a sale on tin foil hats.

You would seem to think your life is doomed if some advertising information got in to someone's hands and they tried to sell you something. And you have the option of declining their goods/services........

Well, let's see. Google has your search and browsing history, your youtube history, possibly your email history if you use gmail, possibly your location and phone call history if you use Android.

Windows 10 monitors you and contains ads. In fact, some tech authorities have unironically labelled it spyware.

Televisions now listen for your voice commands, but the terms of service warn that all conversations will be transmitted to the tv manufacturer for analysis. (That is how the TVs worked in 1984, BTW.)

Obviously Amazon Alexa devices do the same thing, but people use them willingly.

Siri and other smartphone "assistants" do the same thing - your conversations are stored.

Most cars have navigation nowadays, which keeps track of where you have driven. You can see this for yourself when you install your car's smartphone app. The authorities can track and disable your car by court order.

Congress has recently allowed ISPs to sell everyone's browsing history.

The Facebook app uses your location to recommend friends based on who you have spent time with.

Many young people are hooking up through the Tinder app, so there is a company out there with a database of who they've all been with.

It has been demonstrated that there are smartphone apps which listen for ultrasonic signals in ads, so as to correlate your phone with an ad you saw at a certain time or place; you see, the ultimate goal is to merge your advertising profiles.

It's fine if you don't care about your privacy. The proximate goal of these advertising efforts is simply to figure out how much you're willing to pay for any given product. This is very apparent at Amazon's brick-and-mortar stores, where there are no pricetags - everything is priced dynamically, on your smartphone, via the Amazon app, based on the profile Amazon has built on you.

I have nothing to hide what so ever. Just got back from a road trip. My Facebook page said "Check in from Blank City" let your friends know where you are. I get ads in Facebook-based on my browsing history. It's doesn't affect my life one bit.

If I was worried about privacy-I would have a VPN-or just stay off Facebook and THE NET entirely. As far as ads are concerned-if I browsed it-obviously I have interest. I may or may not click on the Facebook ad. I know when I land on certain other forums-those ads at the bottom of the page are targeted at me. SO WHAT!

I know there are privacy freaks out there-who think they need to keep their life a secret-for what ever reasons.

I have an Amazon "Alexa" so there is a record of my Pandora music I listen too-again, won't change my life.

While I am aware and don't disagree with your observations-it is my contention it doesn't affect our daily lives.

We are not alone.....

Again, the technology is designed to charge you as much as possible for everything you plan to buy. I don't understand how that doesn't affect you.

Originally Posted By: Bronco1
I've used iDrive now for several years and have been really pleased with the price and software. Good security and you can back up all your devices on it. $52 for 2 TB for a year. If you look at reviews, you'll see it is highly rated. it"s very easy to use and very flexible on backup options. Restores are no problem.

Looking at it now... appears there is a promotion for $18 for first year, but then it jumps to regular price of $70.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Avoid Google on principle. Just avoid them.

Ditto. I fear that any data that gets into Google's hands just becomes a product they sell to marketers, even if you are paying for the service.

Not sure what difference this makes in everyone's life. I hear there is a sale on tin foil hats.

You would seem to think your life is doomed if some advertising information got in to someone's hands and they tried to sell you something. And you have the option of declining their goods/services........

I just said to avoid Google. What is it with you and calling tinfoil on privacy advocates? That doesn't advocate your point very well for you, its just an invitation to conflict. A conflict over the internet. Life is too short for that lol

Well, let's see. Google has your search and browsing history, your youtube history, possibly your email history if you use gmail, possibly your location and phone call history if you use Android.

Windows 10 monitors you and contains ads. In fact, some tech authorities have unironically labelled it spyware.

Televisions now listen for your voice commands, but the terms of service warn that all conversations will be transmitted to the tv manufacturer for analysis. (That is how the TVs worked in 1984, BTW.)

Obviously Amazon Alexa devices do the same thing, but people use them willingly.

Siri and other smartphone "assistants" do the same thing - your conversations are stored.

Most cars have navigation nowadays, which keeps track of where you have driven. You can see this for yourself when you install your car's smartphone app. The authorities can track and disable your car by court order.

Congress has recently allowed ISPs to sell everyone's browsing history.

The Facebook app uses your location to recommend friends based on who you have spent time with.

Many young people are hooking up through the Tinder app, so there is a company out there with a database of who they've all been with.

It has been demonstrated that there are smartphone apps which listen for ultrasonic signals in ads, so as to correlate your phone with an ad you saw at a certain time or place; you see, the ultimate goal is to merge your advertising profiles.

It's fine if you don't care about your privacy. The proximate goal of these advertising efforts is simply to figure out how much you're willing to pay for any given product. This is very apparent at Amazon's brick-and-mortar stores, where there are no pricetags - everything is priced dynamically, on your smartphone, via the Amazon app, based on the profile Amazon has built on you.

I have nothing to hide what so ever. Just got back from a road trip. My Facebook page said "Check in from Blank City" let your friends know where you are. I get ads in Facebook-based on my browsing history. It's doesn't affect my life one bit.

If I was worried about privacy-I would have a VPN-or just stay off Facebook and THE NET entirely. As far as ads are concerned-if I browsed it-obviously I have interest. I may or may not click on the Facebook ad. I know when I land on certain other forums-those ads at the bottom of the page are targeted at me. SO WHAT!

I know there are privacy freaks out there-who think they need to keep their life a secret-for what ever reasons.

I have an Amazon "Alexa" so there is a record of my Pandora music I listen too-again, won't change my life.

While I am aware and don't disagree with your observations-it is my contention it doesn't affect our daily lives.

We are not alone.....

Again, the technology is designed to charge you as much as possible for everything you plan to buy. I don't understand how that doesn't affect you.

Case in point. We have a transatlantic cruise booked for next year. My wife thoroughly researches each and every vacation for rates. Hotels, rental cars, cruise lines, WHATEVER. We booked this cruise directly through the agent working for the cruise line. This was the very best price available at the time. Fast forward about 4 weeks ago-and this same cruise pops up on one of the popular travel sites for $400.00/less PER PERSON. The stipulation my wife always has is we can rebook if there is a lower fair. She calls up the cruise line-says-I saw this fair for this trip for$400.00/less person on this webiste. It's rebooked at a total of an $800.00 savings.

You guys really need to explain how I'm paying more by giving up my so called privacy.

Last edited:
Avoid Google on principle. Just avoid them.

Ditto. I fear that any data that gets into Google's hands just becomes a product they sell to marketers, even if you are paying for the service.

I don't appreciate your criticism. Welcome to my ignore list.
]

Can you please add me while you're at it? I'd just prefer not to have conversations with someone so thin-skinned. And I'm a big Google fan, so there's that as well.

As for the OP - I'm with the personal Office365 crowd, it's a lot of functionality in addition to the 1TB of cloud storage.

I just said to avoid Google. What is it with you and calling tinfoil on privacy advocates? That doesn't advocate your point very well for you, its just an invitation to conflict. A conflict over the internet. Life is too short for that lol

Because if you're not also avoiding just about every other big tech company out there, it's dumb advice, because they're doing the same things Google is.

At least Google has some useful add ons rather than just trolling for advertising. Like Google Now, it will read your email and remind you of all appointments. If you need to leave extra early for something because there is more traffic on your route than usual, it will let you know to leave earlier. That's useful information for me. Along with a multitude of other functionality built into Google Now.

You guys really need to explain how I'm paying more by giving up my so called privacy.

If a for-profit company mining data pertinent to you by using your browsing habits has your consent and presents value to you then you have not given up anything and are suffering no inconveniences, much less invasions.

There are people who fear that these companies are running afoul of either the law or the person's own moral constructs; and there are people who feel that other people shouldn't be so liberal with their privacy. If you are neither of those people then the words typed loudly into various web sites telling you what you should be thinking, fearing and doing could possibly be mentally filed by you under "stuff people type into web pages".

Originally Posted By: Brons2

Because if you're not also avoiding just about every other big tech company out there, it's dumb advice, because they're doing the same things Google is.

At least Google has some useful add ons rather than just trolling for advertising. Like Google Now, it will read your email and remind you of all appointments. If you need to leave extra early for something because there is more traffic on your route than usual, it will let you know to leave earlier. That's useful information for me. Along with a multitude of other functionality built into Google Now.

Other companies may do the same thing but I don't want to keep feeding the giant tumor that Google has become. I just read now that you are a big Google fan so I think we view the company with diametrically opposite views. FWIW I was a big fan of Google too... back in 2000, when they were a great search engine and nothing more.

Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Alibaba, Oracle are all the same. Pick the cheapest and most convenient one for your situation.

Do you need it to be online all the time or just a disaster recovery need? Storing a copy on a 1TB external drive and put it in another city may be a good enough choice?

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
You could check out Amazon Glacier, too. It is (very) low cost tape storage; meant for only occasional access/ retrieval.

https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

If I'm reading the pricing correctly, it is $0.004/GB per month, which for 1TB would amount to about $50/year, so about the same as most other regular cloud storage services. And then you pay for retrieval on top of it. So I'm not seeing how it is very low cost.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
You could check out Amazon Glacier, too. It is (very) low cost tape storage; meant for only occasional access/ retrieval.

https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

If I'm reading the pricing correctly, it is $0.004/GB per month, which for 1TB would amount to about $50/year, so about the same as most other regular cloud storage services. And then you pay for retrieval on top of it. So I'm not seeing how it is very low cost.

I think of that price relative to the other well-known services, I guess. Google - either by way of Drive storage or Cloud storage and Amazon's S3 both cost a bit more for 1TB; although at these prices these differences are trivial. Glacier is also meant for archival - using tape storage - so any kind of regular access and retrieval may negate any costs savings.

I just wanted to throw that in the ring because Amazon's storage would be solid and this seems like the cheapest option of all of the known, reliable providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back