Excel MESS

Suddenly I can't open any MS excel files. I did the MS 365 $99 annual thing, I guess cloud based. POS. Dumb mistake OK.

I can't click on a file to open, and when I seem to upload and open, yeah sometimes it worked on a file or two, now nothing.

I just want something I can look at and if necessary create spreadsheets. Help with what I have or other low cost/free options. TIA

LibreOffice works great, is fully cross compatible with all MS Office documents and best of all is 100% free to use. Libre Calc is the one you want for spreadsheets but there are other functions in the Libre suite too and they all work just as well if not better than MS 365.

I think you are talking about Office 365, which is their cloud based subscription. What computer are you using?
I would reboot, open a browser and type "office" or "office.com" to bring up 365. Then you can choose what file to open.

Good luck.

I agree, the online only is not for anything more than someone who wants to write a letter from time to time.

The $99/year one should come with downloadable software but does come with the online versions. You go get the downloadables from your Microsoft account.

It's weird because I thought I did download those versions. I rebooted, reinstalled, booted again and it seems to be working for now.

I will give Libre a try when my wasted $99 runs out. OK I don't mind paying MS every once in awhile.

I think you are talking about Office 365, which is their cloud based subscription. What computer are you using?
I would reboot, open a browser and type "office" or "office.com" to bring up 365. Then you can choose what file to open.

Good luck.
Yeah MS Office 365. My "new" renewed Win PC has plenty of resources. (64GB RAM, fast gaming intel MB/Processor, two large fast SSD's, etc)

I did reboot and re-install. Honestly my only guess I had some old excel versions and , plus it was trying to do cloud version, downloaded version same time, etc. Even some MS stuff that I read, said they won't work well together.

I just did all kinds of stuff, pivots, csv downloads from Fido, etc and it all is working and quite fast.

Thanks guys!!

The issues I've seen similar to this is because Microsoft 365 (renamed from Office 365) has changed their OneDrive settings to auto upload the documents/desktop/downloads folder to OneDrive. While it's syncing you'll have issues opening up documents. You can change this setting by going to the OneDrive system tray icon -> settings -> unsync PC or deselect the folders.

I bought the basic MS Office package of W/E/P some time ago for $49.95. I still see it now and then for that. I don't know where as I have it and don't pay that much attention. No annual ripoff, just one and done. Never a problem. I'm finishing editing a book today using Word.

Another vote for LibreOffice (https://www.libreoffice.org/).

I use it every day and it works seamlessly with Microsoft Excel, Word, etc., files. There's a small learning curve to figure out where the same options are hidden, but once you do you'll enjoy it and never look back.

Ed

I bought the basic MS Office package of W/E/P some time ago for $49.95. I still see it now and then for that. I don't know where as I have it and don't pay that much attention. No annual ripoff, just one and done. Never a problem. I'm finishing editing a book today using Word.
I would have bought that, but could NOT find.

They hide that option under Office 2021 Home & Student. The obscurity of the option makes it less noticeable because they make more money off subscriptions.

Costco does (or did) sell those perpetual Office licenses at a lower price (about $100, IIRC).

Also good to keep in mind that the keys offered by even by generally reputable sites for substantially less money, or other places like eBay for pennies on the dollar are for grey market, volume license, or pirated keys that run the risk of revocation. Sometimes they don't even work initially, and one has to request another.

@Pablo do you turn the pc off between use? You might need to leave it on for a day to let it sync and catch up.

is windows fully updated? Press the start key, then type “windows update”. Open that and see if it needs a few patch and reboot cycles.

Back