1st time apartment renter, is this white mold?

I think we need to understand by what you mean the A/C is running 24/7. A couple different scenarios:

1. The unit is set to a temperature, the fan and compressor clicks on and off and runs as needed to keep the needed temperature.

2. The unit is set to a temperature. The fan is set to be always on. The compressor is kicking on and off as needed to keep the temperature where it needs to be.

3. The unit is running the compressor and fan constantly 24/7 and can’t really keep up, it’s doing all it can.

#1 is ideal. #2 is ok if you like/need the additional airflow. #3 means the unit is undersized or not working properly.

Is it blowing cool air?
Yes.
I think we need to understand by what you mean the A/C is running 24/7. A couple different scenarios:

1. The unit is set to a temperature, the fan and compressor clicks on and off and runs as needed to keep the needed temperature.

2. The unit is set to a temperature. The fan is set to be always on. The compressor is kicking on and off as needed to keep the temperature where it needs to be.

3. The unit is running the compressor and fan constantly 24/7 and can’t really keep up, it’s doing all it can.

#1 is ideal. #2 is ok if you like/need the additional airflow. #3 means the unit is undersized or not working properly.

We as tenants were instructed to keep the ac on between 68-72 degrees F to combat humidity. The humidity gets so bad I can literally say my wood for has gotten harder to close due to moisture swelling.

Check all your walls, ceilings, closets, etc for wet drywall. As others have said, if your humidity is higher inside that out then there is a big problem hiding somewhere. Can you see your A/C unit and confirm it’s not dumping water inside instead of draining properly?

Yes it's not dumping water inside, however after having my ac system serviced I can finally smell mildew again after the air deodorizer wore off.

Why don't you shut off the A/C and open up all the windows for a few hours. The humidity should be the same as outdoors. If it isn't then there's probably a water leak inside as many people suggested.

It's only ~49% humidity OUTDOORS in the Hampton Roads area at the moment. There must be some kind of water leak under or within your apartment building.

View attachment 172628

"Relative humidity" is highly temperature dependent. 49% at 94º translates to 116% at 69º.

That makes me think that the AC is doing SOMETHING(especially since it's not raining in the apartment presumably) but obviously ~80% still isn't acceptable.

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 7.06.14 AM.jpg

Get a dehumidifier, they can be set for a certain humidity level 50% is the norm. I wouldn't live in that place without one or move and tell them it's not healthy.

AC runs 24/7
I plan on swapping salt for sweat soon. Moving to Florida in the next couple years. In a Florida group I posted about AC and fan use. Unanimously they said that AC always on is normal but fan always on was a bad idea. Because in the Florida humidity, you want the AC to cycle off for a short rest when it reaches temperature and drip off the moisture. If you use the AC with the fan always on, you can get mold in the condenser coils. And it will blow all over the house.

I plan on swapping salt for sweat soon. Moving to Florida in the next couple years. In a Florida group I posted about AC and fan use. Unanimously they said that AC always on is normal but fan always on was a bad idea. Because in the Florida humidity, you want the AC to cycle off for a short rest when it reaches temperature and drip off the moisture. If you use the AC with the fan always on, you can get mold in the condenser coils. And it will blow all over the house.
As I was reading this post the ac fans cycled off. So I guess that's working. It does however feel cool and Wet.

As I was reading this post the ac fans cycled off. So I guess that's working. It does however feel cool and Wet.
Hopefully it’s dripping somewhere outside or into a tube that is not blocked. It’s common for the drip tube to get blocked needs to be cleaned out every year. What’s under you? The basement or another apartment?

Hopefully it’s dripping somewhere outside or into a tube that is not blocked. It’s common for the drip tube to get blocked needs to be cleaned out every year. What’s under you? The basement or another apartment?

Foundation.

Back