1989 Toro 21" 2-Stroke cleaned up

Love this old mower.:) Every two years I take it to my shop and service it. Always runs like new, one pull and away it goes.:) While all my neighbors have gone electric, this one machine keeps on mowing.:)
IMG_6135.jpg
IMG_6134.jpg

That Suzuki 2-cycle engine is about the closest to indestructible of any lawnmower engine ever produced.
I see that you have the height adjusters "rigged" to keep the mower from falling down due to wear in the aluminum deck at the adjusters. There is a repair kit that fixes this problem permanently, Toro Wear Plate Kit #49-4080 (for the entire kit). It appears that this parts kit is no-longer available from Toro, but I have seen them advertised elsewhere.
Also, if you are using the mower as a "recycler" you should install the plastic kickers in the deck.

That Suzuki 2-cycle engine is about the closest to indestructible of any lawnmower engine ever produced.
I see that you have the height adjusters "rigged" to keep the mower from falling down due to wear in the aluminum deck at the adjusters. There is a repair kit that fixes this problem permanently, Toro Wear Plate Kit #49-4080 (for the entire kit). It appears that this parts kit is no-longer available from Toro, but I have seen them advertised elsewhere.
Also, if you are using the mower as a "recycler" you should install the plastic kickers in the deck.
Thanks for the kit info.:) This is not rigged, but tied to the truck to stop the mower from rolling back and forth. The oem height adgusters are still working well.:) The bag is in my shed and I use that all the time.:)

Didn't know Toro made a 2 cycle mower at that time. My old rear bag Toro is older (late 70's) has a similiar deck, no plastic but a 4 cycle Tecumseh engine. I use it now for the last couple season mowings to pick up the leaves.

Last edited:
Didn't know Toro made a 2 cycle mower at that time. My old rear bag Toro is older (late 70's) has a similiar deck, no plastic but a 4 cycle Tecumseh engine. I use it now for the last couple season mowings to pick up the leaves.
Me either. Last squeeze out of the 2 stroke market?

These mowers are absolute tanks, and they cut fantastic. This was back when Toro made bullet proof equipment. Their mowers and snowblowers were top notch and lasted for decades. They are still one of the better brands of equipment, but like anything else you have to do your homework on which models are geared more towards consumers.

Brings back memories!

My dad had a for stroke, around the same vintage, and then a two-stroke.

I remember the 4 stroke being superior. The two-stroke liked to bog down a lot.

Our neighbors had one of the fancy electric start models.

Brings back memories!

My dad had a for stroke, around the same vintage, and then a two-stroke.

I remember the 4 stroke being superior. The two-stroke liked to bog down a lot.

Our neighbors had one of the fancy electric start models.
I have a 1953 Lawn-Boy. A whopping 1 1/2 HP. 😀 The manuals said "Will cut any height grass".

Yes, It's a 2 stroke. I completely rebuilt the body & engine. I need to make a post about it sometime on this forum.

I've been involved with 2 stroke engines/racing in a past life, and my love for them is unbroken! Post a few pics, for sure!

I flew over to Tampa to pick up a used 2 stroke Lawn Boy. It's been a great mower and still runs strongly.

98QOu3x.jpg

Last edited:
Back