1989 Chevy C60

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't seem practical for any of the purposes you mention.

Commute - it will do, but why?
Hauling stuff in bed - How tall a ladder do you need to get stuff in and out of the bed? Seems that will grow tiresome.
Towing ATV trailer - Can you even hitch anything to that truck? Or do you have to air-drop the ATVs in the bed if you get it?

I'm not saying don't get it. I'm asking if you've thought it through?

Originally Posted By: Phishin
My 1990 Chevy K1500 about shot. Rust, oil consumption, etc. etc. It's been a good truck, but she's about done.

I mostly use my truck to commute to work (3 miles each way) and run errands around town. 2-3 times a month, I pick up 10-12 bales of hay for my goats or clean up yard messes and take them to the compost center. I occasionally pull a trailer to take the ATV's to ride someplace or other things like that.

That is awesome! I'd love to drive that around the suburbs here....culminating w/ a trip to the downtown S'bux...

Seriously, cool. Don't think I'd want that exhaust below my left ear, but that's easily dealt with.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
BTW, it has split rims, which can kill you if you don't know what your doing.

Maybe...could be 20" spilts, could be 22.5" tubeless Daytons.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
You sure it's a 454? Those should have come with a 366 or 427 big block or a v8 diesel or 2, don't think a 350 or 454 was an option.

I'm not sure something like that is much good as a commuter. And the gas job ones were geared so the top speed was 50 or so in high range. Even empty.

Would be good for towing heavy stuff (slowly) I guess.

I'm not sure. The listing says 454....but I'm betting it's actually a 427. The seller claims he hooked his race trailer up to it and was going 65mph.....

I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of re-powering this truck with a 454.

If it needed a motor anyway, I can see using a 454 from a junkyard-probably easier to find than a truck 427.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Ok. Sounds like you have at least some idea of what you're getting into. Few things...

The truck comes up on a few different sites (Ebay, etc.) and there are only pictures of the exterior. Why? Nothing with the engine, interior, frame/undercarriage, axles. Not to be negative, but there's probably a good reason for this.

Sounds like it has the 366? Displacement of a 350, power of a 305, and weight of a diesel.

Pull a trailer at 65MPH? Sure. With foot on the floor, ear plugs in, while getting 4MPG.

Make sure to take a lot of pictures when you go look at it, and be sure to update the thread here!

The seller has sent me pics of the interior. It doesn't look bad. It's not beat up. The seat has a cover on it (bench seat), but that's not a hard fix. The interior isn't filthy, banged up, or dented. The interior door skins actually look good. No head liner (thank god) just painted steel.

I'm going to see if I can find the engine stamp and see if it's a 366 or a 427. Doesn't really matter to me. I just want to drive it around town and see how it rides, handles, etc. I know it will be "rough", but that's OK up to a point.

I have a HIGH tolerance for inconveniences if the "cool factor" is high enough. I think this big truck could persuade me to tolerate quite a bit hassle when I'm sitting 10' off the pavement throwing those gears around. Plus, I would FINALLY have a truck BIG ENOUGH to install real train air horns......LOL!!!

Of course it's NOT PRACTICAL. Jeez, no one would even consider this vehicle if they had "PRACTICAL" in their vocabulary. That's NOT the point.

In reality, even though I'm an educated scientist, I THOROUGHLY enjoy being a HILLBILLY.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I couldn't imagine driving something like that.

The bottom of the bed looks to be at least chest high, unloading things would be a nightmare.
It probably rides like the dump truck it is.
Tires are probably 10+ years old already and probably cost an absolute fortune.
Probably gets 5-6 mpg. Towing a trailer out of town would cost a lot.
Trying to do repairs like brakes etc. would not be fun. Checking the oil by getting out a 6 foot ladder?

It might be too high. We'll see. I guess I'll just have to pull a trailer if I need to really haul anything.....
I'm sure it rides like a dump truck.
Tires on it will probably cost $2500 for a nice set of Michelins. I'm down with that when the time comes.
I don't care about fuel costs. I drive 10 miles a day. 2 gallons of gas. $5.00 a day is cheap for a big cheesy grin driving home from work.
Repairs will be carried out by professionals. Not me. I'm too busy. [/quote]

Tires are actually a lot cheaper than you might expect...as in, <$200 each.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Originally Posted By: Srt20
$7k is way over priced

What do you say that?

You are in farm country. There is tons of those old things all over.

Somebody put a 70s-80s body and box on an old grain truck. And want $7k for it. Not to mention your OP said it had a 454 EFI in it. Which if it does its probably more desirable than a 366 or 427 truck engines.

If you just have to have it, and its been built decently, I could see maybe $3k. Otherwise buy an old C60 and build it yourself. For alot cheaper. Everything about that truck is "a dime a dozen".

Im not saying its not cool, Im just saying its to much money.

I've driven C60's, and its not fun. Cool factor? ok I can see it. Fun factor? not a chance

Some of those trucks had EFI (366 or 427ci) from the factory-I have driven one.

Is this 1GBJ7D1BXKV101130? No accidents or damage on the CARFAX. Looks like the last odometer reading was 99,015 miles on 3/09/1995. I'm thinking it probably has a 5-digit odometer that has rolled over several times.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Ok. Sounds like you have at least some idea of what you're getting into. Few things...

The truck comes up on a few different sites (Ebay, etc.) and there are only pictures of the exterior. Why? Nothing with the engine, interior, frame/undercarriage, axles. Not to be negative, but there's probably a good reason for this.

Sounds like it has the 366? Displacement of a 350, power of a 305, and weight of a diesel.

Pull a trailer at 65MPH? Sure. With foot on the floor, ear plugs in, while getting 4MPG.

Make sure to take a lot of pictures when you go look at it, and be sure to update the thread here!

The seller has sent me pics of the interior. It doesn't look bad. It's not beat up. The seat has a cover on it (bench seat), but that's not a hard fix. The interior isn't filthy, banged up, or dented. The interior door skins actually look good. No head liner (thank god) just painted steel.

I'm going to see if I can find the engine stamp and see if it's a 366 or a 427. Doesn't really matter to me. I just want to drive it around town and see how it rides, handles, etc. I know it will be "rough", but that's OK up to a point.

I have a HIGH tolerance for inconveniences if the "cool factor" is high enough. I think this big truck could persuade me to tolerate quite a bit hassle when I'm sitting 10' off the pavement throwing those gears around. Plus, I would FINALLY have a truck BIG ENOUGH to install real train air horns......LOL!!!

Of course it's NOT PRACTICAL. Jeez, no one would even consider this vehicle if they had "PRACTICAL" in their vocabulary. That's NOT the point.

In reality, even though I'm an educated scientist, I THOROUGHLY enjoy being a HILLBILLY.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I couldn't imagine driving something like that.

The bottom of the bed looks to be at least chest high, unloading things would be a nightmare.
It probably rides like the dump truck it is.
Tires are probably 10+ years old already and probably cost an absolute fortune.
Probably gets 5-6 mpg. Towing a trailer out of town would cost a lot.
Trying to do repairs like brakes etc. would not be fun. Checking the oil by getting out a 6 foot ladder?

It might be too high. We'll see. I guess I'll just have to pull a trailer if I need to really haul anything.....
I'm sure it rides like a dump truck.
Tires on it will probably cost $2500 for a nice set of Michelins. I'm down with that when the time comes.
I don't care about fuel costs. I drive 10 miles a day. 2 gallons of gas. $5.00 a day is cheap for a big cheesy grin driving home from work.
Repairs will be carried out by professionals. Not me. I'm too busy. [/quote]If those are 22.5s, they are pretty close to indestructible in an L/T configuration-you would have to fill the bed with LEAD to get anywhere near that rear axle load rating-imagine it's in the 15K range or so!

Last edited:
Update: Truck was a ROUGH. When I got there, it was parked outside. The driver's side door was open (it wouldn't latch) and the little air vent window next to the side view mirror, was open as well. Hmmmmm..... First thing that caught my eye, was the black paint job on the truck was a $300 Maaco job. There were a few big runs, several places I could see the metallic green underneath, and multiple places where the paint was beginning to peel.

The interior was ok. Several random "wires" running down to the floor boards. The radio was missing. Perhaps he was trying to rig up an aftermarket radio. Bench seat needs re-done.

Yes, the engine is a 366 BBC. It was pretty dirty in there. The truck needed ether to start (and a jump). It idled ROUGH for 2-3 minutes until it "warmed up". Then it idled just fine. The exhaust tip in the picture was gone and the ends up of the the exhaust were just handing off the frame with wire. The rear tires were junk.

While running, I think it was the power steering pump that was howling like an Indian. Oil level was clean and full in the crankcase.

I was afraid to stall the truck when driving (it just needed jumped). The clutch had nearly ZERO pedal left in it...meaning it engaged right at the top. I only took it up to 25MPH on some side street. It drove decent for a big truck. It's a full time job driving that truck. The brakes worked well.

Unless he's interested in selling the truck for $3000, I'm gonna pass.

Last edited:
It's going to be tough to find an old medium duty truck in good shape. They all got worked & run to death!

I like your "Dare to be different" approach!!! Have you tried searching International Low Profile? The DT466 paired with a Allison 545 is a really good combination.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

If it needed a motor anyway, I can see using a 454 from a junkyard-probably easier to find than a truck 427.

If it was me, a Detroit 4-53T and an Allison AT545 would be my choice.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back