1977 Trans Am SE (14 Original Miles) Sells For $440K

I have to confess... I'm a mullet wannabe. I didn't have a driver's license in 1977 and supposedly Trans Ams were like opinions in that everybody had one but even still, I didn't have one. I did manage to buy a 1980 Z-28 Camaro but it wasn't a black Trans Am.

Sammy Hagar wrote a few songs highlighting this era of American cars and the "IEATZ28" license plate was cool but with 185 horsepower they must have had a bird's appetite (pun intended). :)

I had one of these black 1977 Trans Am cars back in 1977. Fun car. Not worth 440K though.

Regarding the horsepower - It was easy to get gains on that engine. I put a comp cam and springs, rhodes lifters, edebrock intake, and holley carb on it. Machined the valve stems for teflon seals and to prevent valve spring binding. Along with alumakote headers and dual exhaust. Transgo shift kit too.

Made plenty of power compared to all the others on the road at the time. Lots of fun, but not remotely worth 440K.

I've thought about this every so often when I see some come up for sale. Then I remember and think to myself "man, that would be like going back to my ex-wife".

Once was enough for one lifetime.

It's too bad the front end is so ugly. Yes, my opinion but I never liked the way they look.

Then you must have hated the '79 update. That was *****.
1979-pontiac-firebird-formula-std.jpg

Wife had a '77 Formula when we met in '78. Fun car for the times and still have the wife.

Bought my 78 TA just before Smokey and the Bandit came out for 7200.00 loaded brand new! The stealership had 110 in stock!

Yes it was a dog, but just as the above poster said a few mods and it was a real runner. High 12's on skinny street tires with a trap speed of 112 mph wasn't too slow back then.

Simple durable and heavy as hell.

I'm probably in a minority here but I always thought Camaros were better looking than Firebirds. [I got to drive a brand new gold Firebird coupe with red-wall tires in the fair parade in my hometown in 1967. And it wasn't worth $440,000 either.]

The low horsepower on this '77 model was just the start. It got even worse for quite a while. My '86 Volvo 740 Turbo was even considered a hot car back in the day.

The article says it "definitely has new paint and decals"...I hope that's just click bait AI created article BS. Why would you paint a 14 mile car? Even if it had some blemishes, that's really messing with the value/originality. People clear coat rusty C-10s, I think paint would be a big issue here. Hardcore collectors would definitely prefer crappy original orange peel paint.

Wow. My first car was a 1978 Camaro I bought in 1997 for $1,500. I assume it was a former drag car that had an engine issue. It had a weak 350, a gold hood (maroon car), a line lock, a Hurst dual gate shifter, 4 wheel disc brakes, no radio, no a/c, welded subframe connectors, true dual exhaust, a very tight rear diff and traction bars. It was a total turd but I had a great time in it as a 16 year old and managed not to kill myself or others. Sold it for $1,000 when I bought my 1990 Mustang GT. I had rednecks calling about that Camaro from the Autotrader ad for months.

I also heard someone paid a lot of money for another turd , well belonging to Elvis. Just kidding , had memories of same car for mom as young kid.

6.6 making 185hp. Wow
Its a total joke, but then, nearly everything of that era compared to a modern electric car kindof is. That said, it has some soul to it. Like a fine English double rifle thats seen the Dark Continent before airplanes. Hopelessly out dated, but never out of date.

Had a 79 Trans Am, brown with tan interior, T Tops and gold bird on the hood. It was the car to have back then. Miss that car.

The spoiled rich brats in high school had those, I dreamt of shooting an RPG into them, T-roof panels blowing off in huge fireballs!!

Back