1953 8FH12LB Lawn Boy

Did that model come with a cooling shroud?
I'm under the assumption that it did & that is why I sourced one from the bay. I'm at the hospital for the week (Wife/Radiation Therapy) but I will get a picture of what I bought & post it up.

The engine does have the mounting holes for the shroud. I believe there were some earlier models, than this one, that didn't come with an engine shroud. The shroud on this one I have here was missing when I found it. I believe a lot of these shrouds were removed for work etc & lost as a result. As an example: "Updating" to a newer carburetor was common & the way the newer carbs fuel line routes it gets in the way of how the shroud mounts. So several of the survivors are missing the shrouds for that reason alone. This one does NOT have the original carburetor unfortunately. I've not been able to locate one either.

Here is a parts manual that shows the shroud with 3 different models. #25 on the Image (References "Complete Engine") but just pointing out a reference point to show what the shroud looks like.

8FH12 (2 files merged)1024_1.jpg

8FH12 (2 files merged)1024_2.jpg

When I had to fire up the old Clinton motor on the reel mower back in the sixties it was a wooden large piece of dowel drilled through and some of mom's clothesline rope knotted on the end. I got pretty good at rapid rewrapping the rope for successive pulls when it started to pop before starting.
#39 on the parts image I just uploaded sounds exactly like that Clinton.

Back