1953 8FH12LB Lawn Boy

After some more nudging on this forum I've decided to finally post this Walk-Behind I found.

I was tearing down an old 1950's mobile home & saw some lawnmower handlebars sticking out from underneath the trailer. Pulled it out & that distinguishable Lawn-Boy discharge was apparent. Built in Lamar, MO (outside of Kansas City, MO)

I've included the full details link below that explains the build. I encourage you to visit so you can see all the hard work I've put into it so far. If visiting there you might need to click on the images to populate more pics.

https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/1953-8fh12lb-lawn-boy.1361828/

Here are just a few pics of the rebuild. Last pic will show original wheels/tires & fronts from Menards (Home Improvements Store). Again, Check out the link for the whole build up to this point. Thank you for looking! Enjoy!

IMG_20210615_144811.jpg

IMG_20210615_144822.jpg

IMG_20210615_144831 (1).jpg

IMG_20210615_144928 (1).jpg

IMG_20210708_150823.jpg

IMG_20210719_192117.jpg

IMG_20210730_135607.jpg

IMG_20210828_113439 (2).jpg

IMG_20220612_122259.jpg

IMG_20220612_122329.jpg

Thank you for posting the pics! Very cool mower. Any videos of it running?
Yes, my friend. But just a warning, put on your safety glasses & a helmet LOL. When I first got it I cleaned the carburetor & fuel tank that was full of black goo. Then I wanted to see if I could get it to fire up. It did! This mower takes a pull string that you wrap around the top but didn't have one so I improvised with the impact & socket (Bad idea/Not Safe).

To those that don't know: The muffler is located underneath the deck. This is 1.5 HP 2 stroke engine (Gas/Oil mix). Which in the manuals is a rich 16:1 ratio!

"Mix 1/2 Pint (8 Oz) 30 SAE Viscosity Non-Detergent Auto-Mobile oil to each gallon of regular grade gasoline".

I had some 40:1 ratio mixed in the garage that I already use for the weed eater so that's what I used temporarily. I've not fired this machine up since restoring it up to this point. I need to get a rope & I have an engine cover that I bought from eBay that needs to be redone for placing on top of the engine. A few more small things here & there but I'll finish it up one of these days.

Last edited:
No pull cord? So, the only way to start the mower is via power tool? Are there power tools available during the 1950s?

No pull cord? So, the only way to start the mower is via power tool? Are there power tools available during the 1950s?
No pull cord yet. It simply didn't have one when I found it. I've asked around on the tractor forum & there was a fellow on there that I'd asked how long the rope/pull cord needs to be & he has one of these that he measured the length of the cord for me. It's just a rope/string you make a permanent knot on one end & lock it into 1 of 2 grooves on the top starter pulley, wrap it around until you've wrapped up all the string & then pull on it like your starting a regular mower. Only thing is you have to re-wind the string manually every time you need to start it. They did not use any tools like I used in the video. That was just my temporary ingenuity to try & fire it up. I'll make a starting cord for it in time though.

No pull cord yet. It simply didn't have one when I found it. I've asked around on the tractor forum & there was a fellow on there that I'd asked how long the rope/pull cord needs to be & he has one of these that he measured the length of the cord for me. It's just a rope/string you make a permanent knot on one end & lock it into 1 of 2 grooves on the top starter pulley, wrap it around until you've wrapped up all the string & then pull on it like your starting a regular mower. Only thing is you have to re-wind the string manually every time you need to start it. They did not use any tools like I used in the video. That was just my temporary ingenuity to try & fire it up. I'll make a starting cord for it in time though.
Oh I see, the mechanics is roll the rope with a knot on top and pull, much like a Trompo spinning top toy. Got it. Thanks

Last edited:
Very cool. Just think, if you started it up in California, someone might call the police. 16:1 fuel mix? Oh, the humanity!
While I did grow up in California it was actually California, MO 🤣 Funny thing is on that story is that my wife was born in Frezno. So, we're both from California LOL. Rules are different but I suppose they are simply trying to have fresh clean air to breath & I wouldn't want to huff this 2 stroke anymore then necessary so I'll probably just run it at 50:1 mix since it would be temporarily used/shown off and shouldn't cause that much issue. Many tractor forum members don't run it that rich anymore due to fogging out the neighborhood. I did rebuild the motor/honed it with an autozone hone. lol new rings/gaskets/ etc. I would like to get it in running shape & hear that 2 stroke sound again. Probably have the wife make another video with me starting it again but this time with the proper rope & finished mower.

The older Lawnboys that spec 16:! oil need it because they had bushings instead of needle bearings.
Must be a newer engine. Here is the crank case split in half. These are open ball bearings that get lubricated by the mix. I threw in a pic of the connecting rod bearing while I was at it. I probably should run it rich regardless but I just don't want to get fogged out.

IMG_20210626_204521.jpg

IMG_20210626_172448.jpg

That rod bearing (bushing) was replaced by needle bearings similar to the bearings in a U-joint, in 1973. That is when LB changed the mix to 32:1 :cool:

That rod bearing (bushing) was replaced by needle bearings similar to the bearings in a U-joint, in 1973. That is when LB changed the mix to 32:1 :cool:
I remember reading about them going to needle bearings. I'll keep this in mind. I'm not going to be working it just show and tell. Thanks for the reminder.

When I had to fire up the old Clinton motor on the reel mower back in the sixties it was a wooden large piece of dowel drilled through and some of mom's clothesline rope knotted on the end. I got pretty good at rapid rewrapping the rope for successive pulls when it started to pop before starting.

Back