195/65R15 tires for a VW Karman Ghia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I'm looking for some feedback and/or recommendations.
My best friend has this VW Ghia 'vert, 1974. It needs tires. Many may know the original size is a 165/80R15. The issue is there are only less than 10 mfgr's for this size and the top tier seems to be the Nexen SB 802. This tire is UTOG 320AB. This tire retails for about $75-$80 each, but with no warranty.
I know that a 195/65R15 tire is a very common size among smaller cars. This tire is approx. the same dia so gearing/speedo remain unaffected. The width is approx. 1" wider.Itshould fit the oem 4.5" width steel wheels.
Doing some research I see that Nexen offers a tire in the 195/65 size. There web-site shows a tire CP 672, 500AA, 70K wear out warranty, road hazard war til 3/32 or 2years, and 36 month tow/tire change. A local repair shop to me, a Nexen dealer quotes me approx. $350 for 4 tires vs $400+ for the original size 165's.
So, my questions are:
1- Has anyone experienced this tire or any replacement Nexen tire for their daily driver use?
2- Does this "upgrade" seem plausible?
3- Are these tire manufacturer warranties pretty good in most scenario's?

The car's use is a daily driver cruiser around the Los Angeles area with its terrible roads. No spirited driving.
Welcome to options here. Gonna look at the tirerack site too. Just gotta convince my friend that a 195/65 could be a better deal than the 165's.

If you have manual steering you're going to scrub more and have a rougher time.

4.5" rims seem very narrow. I think a 195-65-15 would be happier on a 5.5" or so.

in the proper size, all Tire rack has is a "Classic" brand, for $62.67/ea. no reviews. Tire Rack
tbc_as_155_pdp124crop.jpg

while Coker has 10 different tires ranging from $80-$204 each. Coker Tire

195 seems way too wide for such narrow rims! If you're going to use Nexen, stick with the stock size since they actually ake it.

Vredestein Sprint Classic in the stock size 165/80-15

Otherwise, get the ContiPremiumContact2 in 175/65-15, or one of these:
Yokohama Avid Ascend
Cooper CS3
General RT43
Falken Ziex ZE950

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
How about these - should be a perfect fit: N2(Porsche) Spec Made In Germany

HTH

$195 each?
crazy2.gif

I just pryed some Riken Raptors (michelin) off my prius; 185/65/R15; they are < $50 @ tirerack.

I thought they were smooth running and very quiet.

A consideration....

I maintain my aunt's 1970 VW Beetle (same chassis as Ghia). I'm actually the only one who drives it.

It had 185/65-15 tires on it when she bought it and we replaced it with that same size. Used General Altimax RT43s.

Front tires rub a little at full lock.

Speedometer is 5 mph slow, not sure if that's because the tires are a little smaller though.

According to Tire Guides, the original tire size on a 1974 VW Karman Ghia was 6.00-15 on 4.5" rims. Assuming the vehicle has the original wheels, then those wheels are too narrow by an inch for a 195/65R15 - 5.5 to 7.0" rim width range. That means the vehicle is likely to be a little sensitive to the ruts in the road and cross winds on 195.65R15.

So it comes down to what your buddy intends for the car.

Does he want it to be as original as possible? Then go to Coker tire. They have tires in the original size. They are expensive, but that's the price you pay for authenticity.

Does he just want something so he can drive it? Then it might be OK to use the too wide 195/65R15.

Does he want something that will be suitable for properly driving the car? Then get wider wheels.

On a car with manual steering I once put on tyres that were only 10mm wider and felt the difference in significantly heavier steering. Going up 30mm would likely make the car very hard work.

Please don't take this in the wrong way, I would not be driving this car as a daily driver in L.A. I've driven as a young man, 4 different air-cooled VW's, and I remember them w/great fondness. BUT in an accident I'd rather be in something else. Plus this car is probably worth $$$. As far as tires, I too think a P195/65/r15 is not the right size for this application. Best for the New Year!

Don't use anything but 165/80 on the stock 15 x 4.5" otherwise the wishy washy feel of the 195 will have him removing them within a week. The sidewalls will be pinched in between the beads rounding out the cross section shape which will allow for lateral L/R sway on any slight curve, like you're rocking your butt sideways in a chair. He has to get wider 14" wheels with the proper offset and respective tire size for improved handling.

Experience with a bug for 16 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back