18hp Opposed-Twin Briggs, Yard-Man tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zpa

Another season over and she's sleeping through the winter. Fuel stabilized and engine fogged as usual. This fall was the 28th time though. The thing just keeps on going, I'd estimate at least 800hrs on it by now. Valvetrain makes a bit of a racket (flathead) and it likes to sip oil, but otherwise no issues.

Similarly the tractor itself is in great shape. There's very little rust on it anywhere, even the paint on the deck is intact. I think it might be a 44" deck, there's a STICKER that says so on it. The drive belt for the transaxle is original as are the tyres.

All in all, the thing has been worth every penny and then some. Note to designers: If you're in the business of selling product, this was a poor design.
laugh.gif

Future sales are never jeopardized by a good design.

For every one in the condition that yours is in.....There were a dozen that were junked at 5 years. Never underestimate the ability of the common man to turn machinery to scrap.

I have a 78 Gilson 16hp twin Briggs,runs fine and no oil burning.Plus its the regular,non IC engine.Meaning its Vega style aluminum block on iron rings.Old Briggs engines last nearly forever...

Nice to hear I am not the only king of obsolete.
1976 case-ingersoll 224; low hour engine o/h
1957 wheelhorse 857. Need to start restore.
1988 lawnchief mod.50. Briggs 8cid
Two mid-50's Kohler auto-cycle light plants. One DC other is AC.
There are more to list but they are just back burner stuff.

Harvey

It's the I/C cast iron bore engine. Delvac MX 15w-40 has been used for the last 5 OCIs I think. Before that few years of Maxlife 10w-40. For what was used prior to that, I can't recall. I'd guess any old 10w-30/40.

I've seen these Briggs opposed twins exceed 1000hrs. Like anything, it depends on how it's used, where it's used and how it's maintained.

I see the OP is from Finland. I'm assuming his Yard-Man isn't the same as one from the States, but maybe not. We do have a 1990s model year Yard Man "garden tractor" in the family with a horizontally opposed twin and hydrostatic trans w/ a spin on filter. It's held up amazingly well to my FILs abuse.

The only thing I hate about that briggs flat twin is it sucks fuel badly. Runs well though. OHV V-twins are much easier on fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back