$170 batteries from AZ, AAP, and O Reilly's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I payed 35 bucks for a reconditioned mega tron 2 to put in the jeep. Plates in it looked perfect. The previous one I bought worked for two years without skipping a beat and kept working when I sold my last beater.

I know this sounds silly but I just walk up the parts counter at my local dealerships,The Jeep dealership for my Cherokee and the Chevy dealership for my 1500 pickup ,got a acdelco from chevy and a mopar labeled battery from Jeep,no clue who makes them,don’t really care,all I know if they fail there going back up the on counter for a replacement,don’t have to deal with wonderful people of auto parts stores.

I have one in the Prius - it's a O'Reilly-branded Deka AGM 51R with JIS posts. If it passes the 5 year mark I'll be happy.

I wished Costco carried AGM batteries - it will be a certainty in the future as more cars use AGM/EFBs. JCI can bring over Vartas from Europe.

Last month when I was up at SVL my daughters Beetle battery was going out. Went to Battery Mart and had a Deka Intimidator AGM battery installed. Price including install was less the chains

Used to be an AAP Autocraft with 40% off code buyer. No more. Even with code, no longer least expensive.

WM Everstart Maxx battery line (~$94/24F group) now least expensive of 3/5year warranty battery. Running a ~$50 Valuepower 24F battery now, see how long it will go.

Batteries arent impulse buys for the convenience store brick and mortars.. which is why they will install them for free.. the batteries are there for the masses that have dead batteries and are at the mercy of the store nearest their battery failure.

Same reasoning behind the 1 gallon gas cans sold at gas stations- for $15.

Most of the people who go to auto parts stores for batteries also want them installed for "free". This price hike is those stores recognizing that, and adding an installation charge.

You’re definitely paying for convenience at the big chains. It’s the same as quick lubes, mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc. DIYers like us laugh, but if people are willing to pay, so be it.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
You’re definitely paying for convenience at the big chains. It’s the same as quick lubes, mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc. DIYers like us laugh, but if people are willing to pay, so be it.

Quite a few people choose AAA because they contract out with mobile installers. My dad said he went with them for a Group 24F for about $130 even though Costco had batteries for $80.

I don't recall if Sears installs at no extra cost. I've bought a few batteries there and maybe 20 years ago I remember I was told I could have it installed for free if I waited.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Quite a few people choose AAA because they contract out with mobile installers. My dad said he went with them for a Group 24F for about $130 even though Costco had batteries for $80.

If I was stuck in the middle of nowhere, I'd have AAA install a battery for me if I needed one. Premier members get $10 off as well, it's chump change but it does put it strikingly close to the parts store.

AAA used to use Exide, my parents have a AAA-branded Deka in their car(it was there already) and I think that's a plus there.

Battery manufacturers for lead acid type forklift batteries have had 2 price increases of about 4%-5% each in the past 9 months. They blamed the price of lead and at the time N. Korean restrictions.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I don't recall if Sears installs at no extra cost. I've bought a few batteries there and maybe 20 years ago I remember I was told I could have it installed for free if I waited.

AAA should do a better job advertising their battery service. Compared to the parts chain places its actually a decent value since they come to you and install it. 3yr/6yr battery too.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Used to be an AAP Autocraft with 40% off code buyer. No more. Even with code, no longer least expensive.

WM Everstart Maxx battery line (~$94/24F group) now least expensive of 3/5year warranty battery. Running a ~$50 Valuepower 24F battery now, see how long it will go.

I'm at 18 months on the ValuePower I put in the 99 MGM. It gets driven on the weekends and sits most of the week. I'm money ahead at $48.88 for that battery. It's done two winters in that car and have no concerns about a third winter.

Yeah that's pretty doggone good for a Valuepower battery.

I'm still gonna get my next battery at Federated Auto. I would rather go there and get a very well made East Penn made battery.

bbhero, I went to the Federated Auto Parts web site and using the store locator function I found several stores in the San Antonio area, just not near where I live. However, there are several that are no further away from where I live than Pep Boys. So I'll definitely comparison shop Federated Auto as well as Pep Boys and Sam's Club when the factory Group 94R AGM in my truck needs to be replaced.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Yeah Nygotha it can't hurt to see what they may have there... Though if PB is doing the 35% off deal AND their prices have not gone way up like the other 3 stores.. that's a great deal that is hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You could buy three of the $49 Valu batteries at Walmart for the same price. I’d probably go that route...

Wouldn't 36 Volts blow out the electrical system?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You could buy three of the $49 Valu batteries at Walmart for the same price. I’d probably go that route...

Wouldn't 36 Volts blow out the electrical system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back