'17 Nissan Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
SMH tailor. It's going to bust at the seams with that molasses. Your going to need kerosene to thin it out.

At the very least, or build a fire under the oil pan.
wink.gif

aquariuscsm: I think the short OCIs have vanished; I can't say for all models. For the Q60 I tested, there was an OLM of some sort, not sure of its intelligence, as it were, but it was expected to go off at about ten thousand miles. So, that is where I do get a little wary. Don't make any real change to the oil spec, add a couple turbos, and triple the OCI.
wink.gif
Sure, it called for 0w-20 which will usually be a synthetic, or a 5w-30, which the dealer will upsell to a synthetic, but you know there will be those using 5w-30 conventional all the time, and if the oil life monitor isn't intelligent, I'm not sure if 10,000 miles each time on conventional with a twin turbo is feasible. They want to relive some late 1980s/early 1990s Audi problems, perhaps.

I've run everything from xw20- xw50 in my 04 titan. By listening to some of these guys you'd think it would blow sky high.

Its towed almost its whole life through the brutal cali az desert in brutal heat.
It bought as a luxury tow vehicle (CC/LE/Big tow) and gets pulled out when I need capability so it has a hard life.

I towed 40K+ with 7500-9000 LB running M1 0W40 - it would shear down to low 30's

I towed another 40K+ with 7500-9000 LB running various xw-30's - it sheared down as well which I felt comfortable trying a 20 under light loads even though its nowhere on my manual.

Since new you could tell the difference in pressure between the 30 and 40 after standing on it for 15 minutes towing up a gigantic hill in 110 degree heat then coming to idle after sustained load.

After that type of pull - the 30's are notably lower in pressure at idle in gear than the 40.
Nothing alarming but it is noticeable between the two oils.

I run 040 sumps 7500 and x30 sumps 5K under loads.

Later titans oil pressure gauges were changed and aren't as sensitive or have different scale, they don't move around as much as the first one.

I would add that the titans VK series high number of sprockets and large amount of chain is a prime candidate for the additional filtration assistance magnets can provide - much more so than my belt driven Honda Ridgeline where the belt itself is sacrificial has dampening qualities and doesn't contribute to oil shear.

I want to keep as much iron out of my timing chains as I reasonably can without going to an external bypass so I run both filter mags and a mag drain plug

- add to all the gears and chain a DI pump with it enormous pressure is also sensitive to particles.

I only say this to say that " if it were mine" and "on my own titan" because of the unique way I use it which is likely to be harder than anyone here - I load it up with mags and run high efficiency filters.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back