15yrs of 5000km (3100mi) oil changes

Lots of those Mitsubishis sludge up and or brake the timing chain and end up in the junk yard interference engines typically, not sure on this model though
This is an interference engine but it runs a belt. It’s not a notorious sludger as far as I’m aware. I know of examples that have gone 300k+ miles.

After consideration, I think that this original post is a bit of a problem. First off, while the car has some time on it in years, the mileage is actually pretty low. The original poster is "happy with what he saw," but does not tell us why. With this low mileage and with the almost absurdly short OCI's, this engine's valve assembly area is a deep varnish color. It should be silver and clean. I think that we can infer that some wildly innappropriate oil was used (ie. "I can use the cheapest stuff, or anything, any spec, any weight, because of frequent changes."

After consideration, I think that this original post is a bit of a problem. First off, while the car has some time on it in years, the mileage is actually pretty low. The original poster is "happy with what he saw," but does not tell us why. With this low mileage and with the almost absurdly short OCI's, this engine's valve assembly area is a deep varnish color. It should be silver and clean. I think that we can infer that some wildly innappropriate oil was used (ie. "I can use the cheapest stuff, or anything, any spec, any weight, because of frequent changes."
I guess my observations are based on comparisons of the internals of the same engine type.

Over here they are very common, and every one I’ve seen the internals of, has varnish of some sort, usually a much darker colour than this.

As I mentioned earlier, they are known to run hot in the top end, which doesn’t help matters.

The colour of mine is certainly one of the (much) better ones. I don’t know the oil types used over the last 15yrs, however the previous owner did say he never used mineral oil. So I guess that leaves semi and full synth - the weights of which I’m unaware of

Nope. That engine has a timing belt, so no worries about timing chain wear. It also doesn't have any sort of valve timing or lift adjustment, so no worries there.
If there is no oil consumption between OCIs, I say keep trucking along.
Thanks for your reply. I never have to top off between changes so I guess it’s doing ok 😊

Nope. That engine has a timing belt, so no worries about timing chain wear. It also doesn't have any sort of valve timing or lift adjustment, so no worries there.
If there is no oil consumption between OCIs, I say keep trucking along.
Absolutely keep on trucking and see what the future brings. I would, though, move to one specification of oil. Preferably what the manufacturer recommends.

Back